Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How to check for dead pixels on Canon 300D??

How to check for dead pixels on Canon 300D??

PeterH

How can I check if there are any dead pixels in my 300D?

I tried just leaving the lens cap on but the camera would not take the
picture.

I also tried this in various creative modes incl manual.

Photos to date don't show any obvious problems but just want to check
anyway.

regards

PeterH

Jim Townsend

PeterH wrote:

> How can I check if there are any dead pixels in my 300D?
>
> I tried just leaving the lens cap on but the camera would not take the
> picture.

Turn of the autofocus switch on the lens..

You may not see any after a second or so exposure, but the longer you expose, the
more you'll see.

Fred

Jim Townsend wrote:
> PeterH wrote:
>

>>How can I check if there are any dead pixels in my 300D?
>>
>>I tried just leaving the lens cap on but the camera would not take the
>>picture.

> Turn of the autofocus switch on the lens..
>
> You may not see any after a second or so exposure, but the longer you expose, the
> more you'll see.

You won't see dead pixels with this procedure, /hot/ pixels at best. A
so-called dead pixel will show up at any speed as a bright (most of the
time colored) spot and the JPEG compression will make it a small cross.

--

Frédéric

PeterH

Thanks - turning off the autofocus worked fine.

Then tested jpegs and tiff (shot as RAW and converted) at 3 and 6 seconds
(using the Dead Pixel Test software) and got zero hot and zero dead pixels.

I did test a jpeg at 30secs and got 7 hot pixels but I have read that can be
expected for a jpeg with that amount of exposure.

I'm happy with these results.

regards

Peter

news:(E-Mail Removed)...