Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl executable showing html in browser

Perl executable showing html in browser

Merijn Boom

Hi,

I would like to know is somebody has experience in showing HTML from a perl
executable in the default browser and let that html interact with the perl
executable via the browser. This is because we would like to convert some of
our perl scripts (ActiveState) via the Activestate compiler in order to have
some stand alone executables.

Any help would be appreciated,

Merijn

Jürgen Exner

Merijn Boom wrote:
> I would like to know is somebody has experience in showing HTML from
> a perl executable in the default browser and let that html interact
> with the perl executable via the browser.

Typically people use the Common Gateway Interface for such kinds of
applications. You may want to ask in NG that actually deals with CGI.

If the HTML code is rendered by the browser or shown as text is (among other
things) a matter of the HTTP header. You may want to ask in NG that actually
deals with HTML and HTTP.

> This is because we would
> like to convert some of our perl scripts (ActiveState) via the
> Activestate compiler in order to have some stand alone executables.

The Common Gateway Interface doesn't care if the server side executable is a
script or a compiled program. You may want to ask in a NG that actually
deals with CGI.

Having said that there is one caveat that is actually related to Perl.
Typically Perl compiler didn't have a very good track record in the past,
i.e. people used to have a lot of problems getting their compiled scripts to
run. Now, this may have changed, so please take it with a grain of salt.

Another question is _why_ you want to compile you scripts. If your intention
is to hide you source code then I strongly recommend to read "perldoc -q
hide"

jue