Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Making Magazine style B&W Pictures

Making Magazine style B&W Pictures

Mike Finister

Hi there

I remember reading an article on how to make "magazine" style B&W pictures
from colour ones.

Does anyone have any links etc. that I can look at. I remember that things
like "greyscale" and "remove colour" are not the best option to get the
crisp contrast etc.

I've got some good photos that I think would look great in B&W, so any help
much appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

David Kilpatrick

Mike Finister wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I remember reading an article on how to make "magazine" style B&W pictures
> from colour ones.
>
> Does anyone have any links etc. that I can look at. I remember that things
> like "greyscale" and "remove colour" are not the best option to get the
> crisp contrast etc.
>
> I've got some good photos that I think would look great in B&W, so any help
> much appreciated.

The best solution is Photoshop: Adjustments: Channel Mixer: Monochrome
output ticked - then adjust the resulting grey preview to simulate
panchromatic sensitivity or filters, using the three channel levels.
Finally, once you have a greyscale image (preferred to be in 16-bit if
you can to start with) apply an S-curve to the tones to simulate using
b/w film and paper.

David
www.freelanephotographer.co.uk

David Kilpatrick