Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How do I correct excess flare of street lights in a digital image?

How do I correct excess flare of street lights in a digital image?

Peter Maddern

I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700. Shots taken of streets at night come out well
apart from street lights which always appear burnt out and flared. I have
tried to correct the excessive flare by using the lasso tool in Photoshop
Elements and decreasing brightness or changing the colour to tone down the
high whiteness but I can't get the right effect.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing. if so, do you know how to
correct this problem?

Thanks

Peter

Bart van der Wolf

"Peter Maddern" <Pmad@REMOVETHIS BITbtinternet.com> wrote in message
news:c5rtv7$kfg$(E-Mail Removed)...
SNIP
> Has anyone else experienced the same thing. if so, do you know how to
> correct this problem?

Take two exposures, and with postprocessing (e.g. Photoshop) register and
blend the two images.

Bart

Joseph Meehan

Peter Maddern wrote:
> I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700. Shots taken of streets at night come out
> well apart from street lights which always appear burnt out and
> flared. I have tried to correct the excessive flare by using the
> lasso tool in Photoshop Elements and decreasing brightness or
> changing the colour to tone down the high whiteness but I can't get
> the right effect.
>
> Has anyone else experienced the same thing. if so, do you know how to
> correct this problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter

The difference in light is too great to get an "ideal" correction with
just one exposure. With practice you can improve the original as you have
tried. I am not sure what the best tools may be as I have not worked on it,

But for a real fix you need to follow Bart's advice. Make sure those
both exposures are several stops different exposure and that you use a
tripod the assure the easiest best register.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math