Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > My option when a module is not available for my production OS.

My option when a module is not available for my production OS.

chung.ley@amd.com

Hi,

I wanted to use the modules GDGraph-boxplot and GDGraph-XY to generate
boxplot and scatterplots. I am using my PC (windows2000) as a
development machine, but the production box is Linux. It seems that
these modules are not available in Linux.

What are my options? I am new to the perl world, but I have a perl
project that I must complete by May... Because of the time crunch, I
have only did some minimal reseach on this (and I will continue to do
so), but I thought I might get some quick help from newsgroup also.

My assumptions of my options are:
1. Run the job in an NT box that will output the files on the Linux box
which is where my "Web" code is going to be. (by the way, we don't
have NT production box in my group).
2. Use GDGraph which is available in both Linux and Windows and use
that for the generation of graph instead of GDGraph-XY and
GDGraph-boxplot.
3. Trying to locate (don't know how) if someone somewhere had a "linux"
version for these 2 modules.
4. "Port" the modules to Linux (okay, I am green at this, so I have no
idea on how much work this is and how to accomplish it)...

I am hoping that I can hear your "advices" and "pointers" as which one
of these (or other) approach that I should take...

Thanks a million.

--Chung

John Bokma

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to use the modules GDGraph-boxplot and GDGraph-XY to generate
> boxplot and scatterplots. I am using my PC (windows2000) as a
> development machine, but the production box is Linux. It seems that
> these modules are not available in Linux.

You mean you can't find rpms (or something like it) for it?

Go to CPAN, download the source (e.g. http://search.cpan.org/
~gaffer/GDGraph-boxplot-1.00/ and click on download), and make it:

perl Makefile.PL
make
make test
make install

(from the top of my head)

chung.ley@amd.com

Thanks John....

I am sorry, I missed that... I don't know where I was in the
internet... I was looking for GDGraph-boxplot and the description only
mentioned windows for this...

Thanks a lot....

--Chung

John Bokma

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Thanks John....
>
> I am sorry, I missed that... I don't know where I was in the
> internet... I was looking for GDGraph-boxplot and the description only
> mentioned windows for this...
>
> Thanks a lot....

You're welcome, and good luck