Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > CF Memory Errors

CF Memory Errors

Mark M

"Mark M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Sj0gc.17408$d%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Several of my friends are having the same problem - that is in allowing
> > windows to write to a CF card while it is used in a card reader. After
> > allowing windows to write to the cf card this card gives errors in the
> > camera and *appears* to be a faulty cf card. I have discovered that

these
> > cf cards are not faulty at all.
> >
> > I managed to repair mine using an 'initialize' utility supplied with my
> > sandisk USB, cf card reader. After being re-initialized the faulty card
> > worked fine in the camera and is now being re-used with no errors.
> >
> > The problem is that many card readers, particularly the PCMCIA adapters
> > don't have such an 'initialize' utility.
> >
> > Does anyone know of a generic format or initialize utility for cf cards

> that
> > can be used with USB readers and PCMCIA converters? Or a correct method

> for
> > re-formatting cf cards?

> This is why all cameras can format the cards themselves...
> Read your manual and discover how to do this with your camera.

Ah-
I see later in the thread that this didn't solve your problem.
-FAT16 should do it.

Peter

> This is why all cameras can format the cards themselves...
> Read your manual and discover how to do this with your camera.

No. re-formatting in the camera did not solve the problem. My card gave
errors when formatted in the camera and was only reliable again after being
initialised by the Sandisk software. I think that the camera only performs
the equivalent of a 'quick' format.

Peter

> Ah-
> I see later in the thread that this didn't solve your problem.
> -FAT16 should do it.

Yes, I think that FAT16 solves the problem. I tried this as an experiment
and it seems to work for me anyhow. I get no errors from the card formatted
in this way. One of my friends can't solve his in this way but I'm
beginning to think that he has a faulty card.

b.t.w. After formatting, disk utilities show the card as having a FAT12.