Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Older Olympus Zuiko OM Lens Question

Older Olympus Zuiko OM Lens Question

Steven Wandy

I recently got the OM-4/3 adapter and picked up a used 50mm F3.5 Macro lens
to play around with. I have a question as I never used older Olympus Zuiko
lenses (my older 35mm equipment was Minolta).
On the on the chrome part of the lens nearest to the camera/adapter there
are two buttons. One releases the lens from the camera/adapter. The other is
just to the left of the F numbers and for the life of me I cannot figure out
what it is supposed to do. (I can't find any information on Olympus' site
describing the functions of the older lenses.)
Can anyone help? Thanks

~ Darrell ~

That is your depth-of-field button. All OM lenses have it.

"Steven Wandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EqWfc.40197$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently got the OM-4/3 adapter and picked up a used 50mm F3.5 Macro

lens
> to play around with. I have a question as I never used older Olympus Zuiko
> lenses (my older 35mm equipment was Minolta).
> On the on the chrome part of the lens nearest to the camera/adapter there
> are two buttons. One releases the lens from the camera/adapter. The other

is
> just to the left of the F numbers and for the life of me I cannot figure

out
> what it is supposed to do. (I can't find any information on Olympus' site
> describing the functions of the older lenses.)
> Can anyone help? Thanks

Dave Lawrance

"Steven Wandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EqWfc.40197$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently got the OM-4/3 adapter and picked up a used 50mm F3.5 Macro

lens
> to play around with. I have a question as I never used older Olympus Zuiko
> lenses (my older 35mm equipment was Minolta).
> On the on the chrome part of the lens nearest to the camera/adapter there
> are two buttons. One releases the lens from the camera/adapter. The other

is
> just to the left of the F numbers and for the life of me I cannot figure

out
> what it is supposed to do. (I can't find any information on Olympus' site
> describing the functions of the older lenses.)
> Can anyone help? Thanks

It's the depth of field preview button.

Dave
--
Dave Lawrance Photography
http://www.first-contact.demon.co.uk

Steven Wandy

Thanks
"Dave Lawrance" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c5pdk9$20n$1$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Steven Wandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:EqWfc.40197$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I recently got the OM-4/3 adapter and picked up a used 50mm F3.5 Macro

> lens
> > to play around with. I have a question as I never used older Olympus

Zuiko
> > lenses (my older 35mm equipment was Minolta).
> > On the on the chrome part of the lens nearest to the camera/adapter

there
> > are two buttons. One releases the lens from the camera/adapter. The

other
> is
> > just to the left of the F numbers and for the life of me I cannot figure

> out
> > what it is supposed to do. (I can't find any information on Olympus'

site
> > describing the functions of the older lenses.)
> > Can anyone help? Thanks
> >

> It's the depth of field preview button.
>
> Dave
> --
> Dave Lawrance Photography
> http://www.first-contact.demon.co.uk

Steven Wandy

Thanks
"~ Darrell ~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsLWfc.157468$(E-Mail Removed) ble.rogers.com...
> That is your depth-of-field button. All OM lenses have it.
>
> "Steven Wandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:EqWfc.40197$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I recently got the OM-4/3 adapter and picked up a used 50mm F3.5 Macro

> lens
> > to play around with. I have a question as I never used older Olympus

Zuiko
> > lenses (my older 35mm equipment was Minolta).
> > On the on the chrome part of the lens nearest to the camera/adapter

there
> > are two buttons. One releases the lens from the camera/adapter. The

other
> is
> > just to the left of the F numbers and for the life of me I cannot figure

> out
> > what it is supposed to do. (I can't find any information on Olympus'

site
> > describing the functions of the older lenses.)
> > Can anyone help? Thanks

Jeremy

"Steven Wandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EqWfc.40197$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I recently got the OM-4/3 adapter and picked up a used 50mm F3.5 Macro

lens
> to play around with.

You might be interested in an article by Mike Johnston, on the Luminous
Landscape web site, where he mentions what appears to be your very lens as
being quite good. He even has photos.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...02-09-22.shtml

David J. Littleboy

"Steven Wandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EqWfc.40197$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently got the OM-4/3 adapter and picked up a used 50mm F3.5 Macro

lens
> to play around with. I have a question as I never used older Olympus Zuiko
> lenses (my older 35mm equipment was Minolta).
> On the on the chrome part of the lens nearest to the camera/adapter there
> are two buttons. One releases the lens from the camera/adapter. The other

is
> just to the left of the F numbers and for the life of me I cannot figure

out
> what it is supposed to do. (I can't find any information on Olympus' site
> describing the functions of the older lenses.)
> Can anyone help? Thanks

DOF preview.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Richard F. Man

Jeremy wrote:

> "Steven Wandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:EqWfc.40197$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > I recently got the OM-4/3 adapter and picked up a used 50mm F3.5 Macro

> lens
> > to play around with.

> You might be interested in an article by Mike Johnston, on the Luminous
> Landscape web site, where he mentions what appears to be your very lens as
> being quite good. He even has photos.
>
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...02-09-22.shtml

He's referring to the 50/2 macro, one of the sharpest lens ever. It holds its
own against the Summicron 50/2.

--
// richard
http://www.imagecraft.com

Jeremy

"Richard F. Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Jeremy wrote:
>
> > "Steven Wandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:EqWfc.40197$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > > I recently got the OM-4/3 adapter and picked up a used 50mm F3.5 Macro

> > lens
> > > to play around with.

> > You might be interested in an article by Mike Johnston, on the Luminous
> > Landscape web site, where he mentions what appears to be your very lens

as
> > being quite good. He even has photos.
> >
> > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...02-09-22.shtml

> He's referring to the 50/2 macro, one of the sharpest lens ever. It holds

its
> own against the Summicron 50/2.

The article features both the f/2 and the f/3.5

Fred McKenzie

<< I recently got the OM-4/3 adapter and picked up a used 50mm F3.5 Macro lens
to play around with. >>

Steven-

Please tell me more about the adapter. What does it adapt to? Who makes it?
Does it focus to infinity?

I have several Olympus OM bodies and a small selection of lenses. It would be
great to be able to use the lenses on a digital body.

Fred