Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Should I buy original Battery or the replacement Battery ?

Should I buy original Battery or the replacement Battery ?

eko

Hi....

I have Canon S50
seems like I need more Battery, because the my original Battery just held
for 2 hours in Standy modus.
Also now Im considering to buy extra Battery.
Should I buy the original one, or can I use the replacement Battery ?
Whats the problem if Im not using the original Battery ?

I think anyone here have this experience.

Lucas Tam

"eko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:c5oqpk$q5j$(E-Mail Removed)-
Aachen.DE:

> Hi....
>
> I have Canon S50
> seems like I need more Battery, because the my original Battery just held
> for 2 hours in Standy modus.
> Also now Im considering to buy extra Battery.
> Should I buy the original one, or can I use the replacement Battery ?
> Whats the problem if Im not using the original Battery ?

Go with a replacement battery - they worked just as good as the original
battery for me.

I bought my batteries from http://www.sterlingtek.com.

--
Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))

stewy

"eko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c5oqpk$q5j$(E-Mail Removed)-Aachen.DE...
> Hi....
>
> I have Canon S50
> seems like I need more Battery, because the my original Battery just held
> for 2 hours in Standy modus.
> Also now Im considering to buy extra Battery.
> Should I buy the original one, or can I use the replacement Battery ?
> Whats the problem if Im not using the original Battery ?

Check the manual about guarantees - off-hand I'd say no difference at all
and you'll save a packet buying a non-Canon battery

Marvin Margoshes

"eko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c5oqpk$q5j$(E-Mail Removed)-Aachen.DE...
> Hi....
>
> I have Canon S50
> seems like I need more Battery, because the my original Battery just held
> for 2 hours in Standy modus.
> Also now Im considering to buy extra Battery.
> Should I buy the original one, or can I use the replacement Battery ?

The replacement batteries are fine.

> Whats the problem if Im not using the original Battery ?

Canon will make less money.

> I think anyone here have this experience.

I buy batteries and chargers at www.thomasdistributing.com.

Don

It depends long have you have had the camera. If its a new unit go for
Ampere Hours and price, if its an old unit I would recommend against going
to the manufacturer.

In most modern high cost portable applications where size and weight are
important (PCs Handheld VHF radios or digital cameras) the batteries are
designed and fabricated at the same time as the unit (camera). If after a
couple of years you need a new battery and you order it from the original
manufacturer you will get a battery that was built when your camera was
built and then sat on the shelf. I have had direct experience with this.
With gateway laptops and Apelco (Raytheon) handhelds. In both cases the
replacement battery was actually worse than the battery to be replaced
because the replacement had spent years on the shelf.

The solution buy from a battery "rebuilder" or an after-market builder. Our
most recent experience was getting replacing Li batteries for a very small
Sony Picturebook laptop. We went to an aftermarket firm and the batteries we
got were better than the original Sonys when they were new.