Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Candlelight wedding

Candlelight wedding

mark_digital

Recessed lighting at the alter providing a very limited
amount of light. Do you skip the bride's entrance?

Last question. Is it going overboard if a 4 point star filter is
used for all the shots? Keep it for just close-ups?

mark_

Lucas Tam

"mark_digital" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:V-6dnaNWZtKoX-

> Last question. Is it going overboard if a 4 point star filter is
> used for all the shots? Keep it for just close-ups?

Ya probably, do people still want that effect in their wedding photos these
days? Maybe you can add it in with photoshop afterwards?

--
Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))

Bud

"mark_digital" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Recessed lighting at the alter providing a very limited
> amount of light. Do you skip the bride's entrance?

If you can get it then do, but it can be hard

> Last question. Is it going overboard if a 4 point star filter is
> used for all the shots? Keep it for just close-ups?

Try and keep effects to a few photo's as this maximises the impact if that
effect

Bud

Joseph Meehan

mark_digital wrote:
> Recessed lighting at the alter providing a very limited
> amount of light. Do you skip the bride's entrance?

That's up to you and the situation. You can go to a longer exposure
(may be a problem with noise with your equipment) with a wide shoot
particularly head on as the motion will not be as noticeable.

You may also consider using flash, IF both the bride and the minister
agree.

You can also stage the shoot, choosing angles that hide the fact that
people are not there, this time with some additional light.

> Last question. Is it going overboard if a 4 point star filter is
> used for all the shots? Keep it for just close-ups?

I would use it only for a very few shoots. It quickly gets old and
looses the appeal.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Randall Ainsworth

> Last question. Is it going overboard if a 4 point star filter is
> used for all the shots? Keep it for just close-ups?

Such things are like salt on your food. A little tastes good but too
much ruins it.

Ian Stirling

mark_digital <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Recessed lighting at the alter providing a very limited
> amount of light. Do you skip the bride's entrance?
>
> Last question. Is it going overboard if a 4 point star filter is
> used for all the shots? Keep it for just close-ups?

Wouldn't it be best to do this afterwards, digitally?

photo35744

Don't go overboard on the star filter and you don't want the "rays" to
fall on the faces.
"Randall Ainsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:160420041511569780%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Last question. Is it going overboard if a 4 point star filter is
> > used for all the shots? Keep it for just close-ups?

> Such things are like salt on your food. A little tastes good but too
> much ruins it.

zeitgeist

> Recessed lighting at the alter providing a very limited
> amount of light. Do you skip the bride's entrance?
>
> Last question. Is it going overboard if a 4 point star filter is
> used for all the shots? Keep it for just close-ups?

Just shoot away, hope for the best. say you could have an assistant hold up
a remote candelabra or hurricane lamp...and while that was tossed in there
as a joke cause I'm usually advocating a remote flash for key/fill, it
occurs to me that it just might work, have an assistant, perhaps get some
modern dancer in a black mime outfit, shadow the bride with a lantern.

Use the star filter for a couple shots of an overall view, a close up of the
rings, not much else and not for close ups, though it does give a subtle
soft focus effect it can be a bit weird to have stars from a catch light in
the eye, a reflection off a tooth has been known to star also.

I highly recommend a tripod, shooting at 1/15th or slower can make a world
of difference and having some that are sharp helps quite a bit when the
entire image consists of dark with a few candle highlights.

street shooter

"mark_digital" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Recessed lighting at the alter providing a very limited
> amount of light. Do you skip the bride's entrance?

Maybe with a flash - if allowed - and an amber flash diffuser or gold
reflector. Always try; explain ahead of time that it is a very
difficult photographic situation. Practice, practice, practice;
candles are cheap and long lasting enough to attempt the lighting
situation before-hand. One other thing - select a focus point
previous to lights-out and wait for the bride to arrive there; the
church will be too dark by candle light for most AF systems.

> Last question. Is it going overboard if a 4 point star filter is
> used for all the shots? Keep it for just close-ups?

I always thought those ginger-bready effects cheapened many a good
photo. I detest effect filters, so my vote is for none at all.

Michael