Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Minimum PC requirement

Minimum PC requirement

mark.worthington

Hi,

I have a 233Mhz processor, with 4Gb hard-drive but run with windows 95.
Yes I know you may all be thinking ....what a pile of old rubbish....but
if I get a digital camera would I be actually able to download and
manipulate images ( I do have adobe photoshop) or would I be better off
buying one of these fancy new camera-printer direct printers?

Mark

Maze

mark.worthington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a 233Mhz processor, with 4Gb hard-drive but run with windows
> 95. Yes I know you may all be thinking ....what a pile of old
> rubbish....but if I get a digital camera would I be actually able to
> download and manipulate images ( I do have adobe photoshop) or would
> I be better off buying one of these fancy new camera-printer direct
> printers?
>
> Mark

The PC is probably up to it, but you might struggle with Windows 95 - AFAIK
all didital cameras need a USB connection to transfer photos to the PC, and
Windows 95 USB support is dodgy, at best. Win 98SE is the earliest OS to
have half decent USB support. If you can get hold of win98SE and a PCI-USB
card (if you don't have USB) you should be laughing

HTH

Maze
--
Life is short and hard, like a bodybuilding Elf

Maze

"didital cameras" = digital cameras

did you spot the deliberate mistake

Jeff Zawrotny

"mark.worthington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have a 233Mhz processor, with 4Gb hard-drive but run with windows 95.
> Yes I know you may all be thinking ....what a pile of old rubbish....but
> if I get a digital camera would I be actually able to download and
> manipulate images ( I do have adobe photoshop) or would I be better off
> buying one of these fancy new camera-printer direct printers?
>
> Mark

You're going to run into problems since Windows 95 is very unfriendly to
USB. If you dug up an old digital camera with a standard serial connection
on it, you'd be ok, and the camera would only be slightly newer than your
computer!

How about upgrading your computer? Surely a new computer wouldn't cost you
a whole lot more than a new fancy direct-print inkjet or dye-sub?

Also, many photo-finishing kiosks offer real photographic prints made
directly from your camera's memory cards. This is another investment-free
option to consider.

Good luck!

- jz

Alfred Molon

mark.worthington <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a 233Mhz processor, with 4Gb hard-drive but run with windows 95.
>Yes I know you may all be thinking ....what a pile of old rubbish....but
>if I get a digital camera would I be actually able to download and
>manipulate images ( I do have adobe photoshop) or would I be better off
>buying one of these fancy new camera-printer direct printers?

Until last July I was processing all my images (2MP and 4MP) on a
subnotebook with a P1 133MHz and 64 MB RAM (not upgradeable). Was a bit
slow, but ok. You couldn't do RAWs, but for 4MP JPEGs it was ok.

Then I switched to a P4 1.4 GHz subnotebook with 1GB RAM and started
processing RAW images and creating huge panoramas with up to 40 MPixel.
Couldn't have done that with the 133MHz computer.

By the way, if you can, upgrade to Win98SE - at least you'll have USB.
Photoshop (the older versions up to 4 or 5) run nicely on a 233MHz
computer.
--

Alfred Molon

Richard Steiner

Here in rec.photo.digital,
"mark.worthington" <(E-Mail Removed)> spake unto us, saying:

>I have a 233Mhz processor, with 4Gb hard-drive but run with windows 95.
>Yes I know you may all be thinking ....what a pile of old rubbish....

It's faster than most of my boxes.

>but if I get a digital camera would I be actually able to download and
>manipulate images ( I do have adobe photoshop) or would I be better off
>buying one of these fancy new camera-printer direct printers?

You should be able to do lots of things with images. Even a 486 can be
used quite effectively for image editing.

The main issue you might run into is actually transferring the images
to your PC in the first place, since most cameras seem to be USB only,
and since Windows 95 didn't support USB until OSR2.1 (the second OEM
release of Windows 95).

One of the reasons I purchased my Casio QV3000EX is because it supports
both USB and serial connections. That way I can use it right now sans
USB hardware, and I can also use it with any newer PC hardware I might
end up with when I eventually upgrade.

--
-Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.

mark.worthington

Thanks for all the advice from everyone who responded. I'll have to have a look
at the back of my PC. Hopefully a USB port will be obvious (computers are not my
area of expertise!) and I could look around to see if windows 98SE is available
anywhere.

Thanks again

Mark

Richard Steiner wrote:

> Here in rec.photo.digital,
> "mark.worthington" <(E-Mail Removed)> spake unto us, saying:
>
> >I have a 233Mhz processor, with 4Gb hard-drive but run with windows 95.
> >Yes I know you may all be thinking ....what a pile of old rubbish....

> It's faster than most of my boxes.
>
> >but if I get a digital camera would I be actually able to download and
> >manipulate images ( I do have adobe photoshop) or would I be better off
> >buying one of these fancy new camera-printer direct printers?

> You should be able to do lots of things with images. Even a 486 can be
> used quite effectively for image editing.
>
> The main issue you might run into is actually transferring the images
> to your PC in the first place, since most cameras seem to be USB only,
> and since Windows 95 didn't support USB until OSR2.1 (the second OEM
> release of Windows 95).
>
> One of the reasons I purchased my Casio QV3000EX is because it supports
> both USB and serial connections. That way I can use it right now sans
> USB hardware, and I can also use it with any newer PC hardware I might
> end up with when I eventually upgrade.
>
> --
> -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
> OS/2 + eCS + Linux + Win95 + DOS + PC/GEOS + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
> Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.
> See web site above for resume/CV and background.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=

Jeff Zawrotny wrote:

> Also, many photo-finishing kiosks offer real photographic prints made
> directly from your camera's memory cards. This is another investment-free
> option to consider.

Also note that some use regular chemical printing, and the prints will last 75
years.

--
Ben Thomas

Apparently less than 10% of accidents are caused by drivers exceeding the speed
limit.

Mark Weaver

If you don't have any USB ports you might get away with a parallel port
card-reader. Might be hard to find at this point, but they did exist so at
least you should be able to find one on Ebay.

stan@temple.edu

mark.worthington <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thanks for all the advice from everyone who responded. I'll have to have a look
> at the back of my PC. Hopefully a USB port will be obvious (computers are not my
> area of expertise!) and I could look around to see if windows 98SE is available
> anywhere.

Unlikely that your PC has a built in USB port since USB did not exist
when Windows 95 was being sold. If your PC has a vacant PCI slot, you
can install a USB card, but you will need to upgrade to Windows 98SE
in order to use the card, assuming the card's driver even supports that
old a version of Windows.