Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What is the minimum computer requirement to use the Epson R800 printer?

What is the minimum computer requirement to use the Epson R800 printer?

Chris

What is the minimum computer requirement to use the Epson R800 printer?

http://www.epson.co.uk/contact/broch...Photo_R800.pdf

http://www.epson.co.uk/product/print...or800/spec.htm

In the first link above it says the minimum cpu speed is 2GHz.
In the second link above it says the minimum cpu speed is 500MHz.

Quite a difference!
Does anyone know which, if either, is true?
--
Chris

stan@temple.edu

Chris <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
> What is the minimum computer requirement to use the Epson R800 printer?

> http://www.epson.co.uk/contact/broch...Photo_R800.pdf

> http://www.epson.co.uk/product/print...or800/spec.htm

> In the first link above it says the minimum cpu speed is 2GHz.
> In the second link above it says the minimum cpu speed is 500MHz.

> Quite a difference!
> Does anyone know which, if either, is true?

What did Epson tech support say when you asked them this question?
My guess is a 500MHz CPU should be fine, but Epson would be the
best authority on the issue.

Chris

In article <c5mddf$941$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) writes
>Chris <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
>> What is the minimum computer requirement to use the Epson R800 printer?
>> http://www.epson.co.uk/contact/broch...Photo_R800.pdf
>> http://www.epson.co.uk/product/print...or800/spec.htm
>> In the first link above it says the minimum cpu speed is 2GHz.
>> In the second link above it says the minimum cpu speed is 500MHz.
>> Quite a difference!
>> Does anyone know which, if either, is true?

>What did Epson tech support say when you asked them this question?
>My guess is a 500MHz CPU should be fine, but Epson would be the
>best authority on the issue.

I'm asking in this newsgroup because Epson are demonstrably *not* the
best authority - because they say two different things (quoted above).
However, there are experts in this newsgroup, some of whom are likely to
know.
--
Chris

Jeremy

"Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
> In article <c5mddf$941$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) writes
> >Chris <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
> >> What is the minimum computer requirement to use the Epson R800 printer?
> >> http://www.epson.co.uk/contact/broch...Photo_R800.pdf
> >> http://www.epson.co.uk/product/print...or800/spec.htm
> >> In the first link above it says the minimum cpu speed is 2GHz.
> >> In the second link above it says the minimum cpu speed is 500MHz.
> >> Quite a difference!
> >> Does anyone know which, if either, is true?

> >What did Epson tech support say when you asked them this question?
> >My guess is a 500MHz CPU should be fine, but Epson would be the
> >best authority on the issue.

> I'm asking in this newsgroup because Epson are demonstrably *not* the
> best authority - because they say two different things (quoted above).
> However, there are experts in this newsgroup, some of whom are likely to
> know.
> --
> Chris

Pardon my ignorance of this, but why would your CPU speed impact upon your
printer? Mightn't it just take longer to spool the print job out to the
printer? Your computer's resources might impact more on your editing
software.

Chris

In article <yGAfc.9554$(E-Mail Removed). net>,
Jeremy <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>"Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message

>> >What did Epson tech support say when you asked them this question?
>> >My guess is a 500MHz CPU should be fine, but Epson would be the
>> >best authority on the issue.

>> I'm asking in this newsgroup because Epson are demonstrably *not* the
>> best authority - because they say two different things (quoted above).
>> However, there are experts in this newsgroup, some of whom are likely to
>> know.

>Pardon my ignorance of this, but why would your CPU speed impact upon your
>printer? Mightn't it just take longer to spool the print job out to the
>printer? Your computer's resources might impact more on your editing
>software.

I, like you, wondered about this. Perhaps colour management software is
resource-hungry? I don't know - and I'd like to know!
Let's keep the conversation going until it's noticed by an expert on
printing.
--
Chris

Michael Picard

If its a GDI Printer the computer does the proccesing and just sends a data
stream to the printer so a faster cpu means faster prints, and a to slow cpu
makes printer stutter and suffer quality degridation
> In article <yGAfc.9554$(E-Mail Removed). net>,
> Jeremy <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
> >"Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
> >> In article <c5mddf$941$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) writes

printer?

> >> I'm asking in this newsgroup because Epson are demonstrably *not* the
> >> best authority - because they say two different things (quoted above).
> >> However, there are experts in this newsgroup, some of whom are likely

> >> know.

> >Pardon my ignorance of this, but why would your CPU speed impact upon

your
> >printer? Mightn't it just take longer to spool the print job out to the
> >printer? Your computer's resources might impact more on your editing
> >software.

> I, like you, wondered about this. Perhaps colour management software is
> resource-hungry? I don't know - and I'd like to know!
> Let's keep the conversation going until it's noticed by an expert on
> printing.
> --
> Chris

Andrew

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 23:47:28 -0700, Mark Herring
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This makes absolutley no sense. A slow CPU will make things go more
>slowly---the printer will not stutter.

Some cheap printers don't have any buffer and so can be affected by a
slow CPU.
--
Andrew. To email unscramble (E-Mail Removed) & remove spamtrap.

Mark Herring

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 04:06:56 GMT, "Michael Picard"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If its a GDI Printer the computer does the proccesing and just sends a data
>stream to the printer so a faster cpu means faster prints, and a to slow cpu
>makes printer stutter and suffer quality degridation

This makes absolutley no sense. A slow CPU will make things go more
slowly---the printer will not stutter.

**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Mark Herring

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:54:03 +0100, Chris <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

>What is the minimum computer requirement to use the Epson R800 printer?
>
>http://www.epson.co.uk/contact/broch...Photo_R800.pdf
>
>http://www.epson.co.uk/product/print...or800/spec.htm
>
>In the first link above it says the minimum cpu speed is 2GHz.
>In the second link above it says the minimum cpu speed is 500MHz.
>
>Quite a difference!
>Does anyone know which, if either, is true?

As several have pointed out, why would the printer care how fast the
CPU is?

Let's ask the correct question: What Computer do you need to be able
to efficiently do photo work?

1. Fast CPU, but not the fastest. 2GHz is plenty. If you are
patient, you could get by with less, but why bother? 2GHz is cheap.

2. RAM--LOTS of RAM I'd say 1GByte minimum

3. Hard drive: If you use something like Photoshop, get 2 hard
drives--1 for the scratch disk, and maybe backup, etc. Drives are so
cheap that 2 80Gbyte drives will be pretty affordable.
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Steven Wandy

From Epson USA site, Acrobat PDF file of R800 Manual:

Windows XP - Pentium II - 500 Mhz - 256 RAM