Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > flash bracket for 10D

flash bracket for 10D

Bryce

I'm looking for a bracket to mount the 550 on the left side of the 10D.

Kinda like the bracket that was made for the Nikon 990.

Any suggestions?

Also, is there a way to have the internal flash on the 10D fire at the same
time the 550 fires? Kinda like "fill" flash for the front while the 550 is
bouncing?

Bryce.

Onepercentf

I use the Manfrotto 233B bracket, which works well enough. You can only get
the built-in flash to fire at the same time as the 550ex if you use a pc wire
connected to a hot shoe to fire the 550ex manually - not worth doing as you
will lose the E-TTL function. The only way of having two Canon flashes working
together on the 10D is to use the 550ex as a master and another one (or a
420ex) working as a slave. However you can only do this with the wireless
(infrared?) method, as Canon do not make a wired connector that will work - I
know as I have tried to use the old wiring system which allowed one flash to
sit on the camera, and the other one on a bracket. This works fine with the
Canon EOS 3, for instance, but will not fire at all on the 10D. The problem
with the wireless system is that it won't work if there are a lot of soft
furnishings (I tried this in a theatre with lots of curtains) as the wireless
beams will just get absorbed and not bounced, so the two flash guns will not
communicate with each other. You could use the 550 on the camera (for example
bouncing of the ceiling) and have an ordinary flash on a bracket connected with
a PC lead. Let me know what works for you as I would be interested in this
setup myself. regards, David

Bryce

Excuse my lack of knowlege.... what's a pc lead?

"Onepercentf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use the Manfrotto 233B bracket, which works well enough. You can only

get
> the built-in flash to fire at the same time as the 550ex if you use a pc

wire
> connected to a hot shoe to fire the 550ex manually - not worth doing as

you
> will lose the E-TTL function. The only way of having two Canon flashes

working
> together on the 10D is to use the 550ex as a master and another one (or a
> 420ex) working as a slave. However you can only do this with the wireless
> (infrared?) method, as Canon do not make a wired connector that will

work - I
> know as I have tried to use the old wiring system which allowed one flash

> sit on the camera, and the other one on a bracket. This works fine with

the
> Canon EOS 3, for instance, but will not fire at all on the 10D. The

problem
> with the wireless system is that it won't work if there are a lot of soft
> furnishings (I tried this in a theatre with lots of curtains) as the

wireless
> beams will just get absorbed and not bounced, so the two flash guns will

not
> communicate with each other. You could use the 550 on the camera (for

example
> bouncing of the ceiling) and have an ordinary flash on a bracket connected

with
> a PC lead. Let me know what works for you as I would be interested in

this
> setup myself. regards, David

Onepercentf

A PC lead is the most basic sort of flash lead. If you look under the rubber
cover on the side of the 10D you will find a socket where the PC lead goes
(next to the remote control socket). It is probably not called a PC lead
everywhere, but that is what I call it (!) You can get hotshoe adapters that
have a hotshoe (for mounting on a bracket) and a wire with a PC plug on the end
for connecting to the camera. this will fire the flash, but is usually used in
a studio setup where you would measure the flash with a (flash)meter. regards,
David

Robertwgross

David wrote:
>The only way of having two Canon flashes working
>together on the 10D is to use the 550ex as a master and another one (or a
>420ex) working as a slave. However you can only do this with the wireless
>(infrared?) method, as Canon do not make a wired connector that will work - I
>know as I have tried to use the old wiring system which allowed one flash to
>sit on the camera, and the other one on a bracket.

There are more options than that. If you want to use the Canon wireless system,
then you can put the STE2 transmitter on the camera and then place one to
several 550EX or 420EX flash units around.

If you abandon E-TTL, there are sync cables and sync cable distributors that
will allow multiple flash units to be used at the same time.

---Bob Gross---