Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak - abandons AA?

Kodak - abandons AA?

hfs2

I see some new cameras at Kodak use a square
li cell. Too bad. The AAs are a great common battery.
Now its just another 'particular', a professional supply, a
consumable that will cost more and render less utility.
If you need a quick battery on a vacation,
it will be difficult now to run into the next drugstore.
I suppose it's all for style and size.

Too bad. I could use those AA in any number of devices
at home too.

That, along with the fall off lens cap are two bad ideas.

Andrew

On 13 Apr 2004 04:33:36 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (hfs2) wrote:

>I see some new cameras at Kodak use a square
>li cell. Too bad. The AAs are a great common battery.
>Now its just another 'particular', a professional supply, a
>consumable that will cost more and render less utility.
>If you need a quick battery on a vacation,
>it will be difficult now to run into the next drugstore.
>I suppose it's all for style and size.

I think the idea is that can recharge them, which you can also do
while on vacation.
--
Andrew. To email unscramble (E-Mail Removed) & remove spamtrap.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.

Charlie Self

Andrew responds:

>>I see some new cameras at Kodak use a square
>>li cell. Too bad. The AAs are a great common battery.
>>Now its just another 'particular', a professional supply, a
>>consumable that will cost more and render less utility.
>>If you need a quick battery on a vacation,
>>it will be difficult now to run into the next drugstore.
>>I suppose it's all for style and size.

>I think the idea is that can recharge them, which you can also do
>while on vacation.

Recharge them? You mean I can't recharge my NiMH and NiCad AAs?

Damn. Wish I'd known that before I got to 500 charges on one set of NiHMs.

Charlie Self
"If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our
institutions, great is our sin." Charles Darwin

James Silverton

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 13 Apr 2004 04:33:36 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (hfs2) wrote:
>
> >I see some new cameras at Kodak use a square
> >li cell. Too bad. The AAs are a great common battery.
> >Now its just another 'particular', a professional supply, a
> >consumable that will cost more and render less utility.
> >If you need a quick battery on a vacation,
> >it will be difficult now to run into the next drugstore.
> >I suppose it's all for style and size.

> I think the idea is that can recharge them, which you can also do
> while on vacation.

Having had the problem of my rechargeable batteries running down and
being able to buy replacement AAs immediately, I will take a lot of
convincing to make me buy a camera that does not use them. I suppose
the life time of a, doubtless expensive, Li battery may be greater but
I don't think it is worth it.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Ron Hunter

hfs2 wrote:
> I see some new cameras at Kodak use a square
> li cell. Too bad. The AAs are a great common battery.
> Now its just another 'particular', a professional supply, a
> consumable that will cost more and render less utility.
> If you need a quick battery on a vacation,
> it will be difficult now to run into the next drugstore.
> I suppose it's all for style and size.
>
> Too bad. I could use those AA in any number of devices
> at home too.
>
> That, along with the fall off lens cap are two bad ideas.

I agree, so check out the DX6440. Now if they just hadn't gone to the
SD flash format.... sigh.

Trevor S

"James Silverton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:407be186$0
$2759$(E-Mail Removed):

<snip>

> Having had the problem of my rechargeable batteries running down and
> being able to buy replacement AAs immediately, I will take a lot of
> convincing to make me buy a camera that does not use them.

or you could get more organised and ensure it doesn't happen.

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein

Robert Mathews

On 13 Apr 2004 04:33:36 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (hfs2) wrote:

>I see some new cameras at Kodak use a square
>li cell. Too bad. The AAs are a great common battery.
>Now its just another 'particular', a professional supply, a
>consumable that will cost more and render less utility.
>If you need a quick battery on a vacation,
>it will be difficult now to run into the next drugstore.
>I suppose it's all for style and size.
>
>Too bad. I could use those AA in any number of devices
>at home too.
>
>That, along with the fall off lens cap are two bad ideas.

Far to many problem with using AA Batteries and broken doors and bad contacts,
2 AA have 4 contacts, and the flimsy door has to make contact under pressure.

Good move drop AA ...

Yes I am a service tech and see all these problems..

Ron Hunter

Robert Mathews wrote:
> On 13 Apr 2004 04:33:36 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (hfs2) wrote:
>

>>I see some new cameras at Kodak use a square
>>li cell. Too bad. The AAs are a great common battery.
>>Now its just another 'particular', a professional supply, a
>>consumable that will cost more and render less utility.
>>If you need a quick battery on a vacation,
>>it will be difficult now to run into the next drugstore.
>>I suppose it's all for style and size.
>>
>>Too bad. I could use those AA in any number of devices
>>at home too.
>>
>>That, along with the fall off lens cap are two bad ideas.

> Far to many problem with using AA Batteries and broken doors and bad contacts,
> 2 AA have 4 contacts, and the flimsy door has to make contact under pressure.
>

> Good move drop AA ...
>
> Yes I am a service tech and see all these problems..

> Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

Too bad you don't agree with the users. Seems Kodak sees only what you
are seeing. Better design of the doors and contacts would correct the
problems while leaving the convenience factor.

Ron Baird

Greetings hfs2,

Kodak has always reviewed and used the latest in technology for its
products. In the case of the newer cameras we are using lithium batteries
as they provide longer lasting power, and are easily recharged. Please also
note that general use AA batteries are not recommended for Kodak digital
cameras and I suspect that is likely true for most digital cameras that
accept that format.

Rather, it is important to be aware of the high power requirements of
digital cameras. These cameras require a very specific amount of power to
operate correctly (much more than a traditional film camera), and that is
the reason we suggested the use of a 'rechargeable' NiMH battery. Other
good power sources were identified as lithium batteries, such as the KODAK
PHOTOLIFE Lithum Battery, CRV3 (similar in size and shape to the
rechargeables). Many digital camera users will keep a lithium battery as a
back-up in case their photographic needs extend beyond the usable charge of
a NiMH battery set. You can review the power options we offer by going to
the following page of our web site and choosing the 'Power Options' link:

http://www.kodak.com/go/accessories

The OXY Alkaline batteries that we included with some cameras, were included
with your camera to "get you started quickly." Though they will work, they
were not intended for long-term use. These first batteries may last for
only a few shots because of the high power requirements of digital cameras
and upon initial use the use of camera features and sharing the camera may
deplete them or others quickly.

Truth is, hfs2, we had you in mind, and I think you will find that the new
lithium batteries that are now being used will serve you as well or much
better.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"hfs2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I see some new cameras at Kodak use a square
> li cell. Too bad. The AAs are a great common battery.
> Now its just another 'particular', a professional supply, a
> consumable that will cost more and render less utility.
> If you need a quick battery on a vacation,
> it will be difficult now to run into the next drugstore.
> I suppose it's all for style and size.
>
> Too bad. I could use those AA in any number of devices
> at home too.
>
> That, along with the fall off lens cap are two bad ideas.

hfs2

Hah. You are funny.