Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > A message to the crossposter

A message to the crossposter

Rick

Just think, long after you've found a girlfriend, or otherwise
gotten a life, rec.photo.digital will still be going strong.

Must be a real boil on your ass knowing that.

~ Darrell ~

I believe it's the work of several people. Sort of a Hipcrime to various
usenet groups. IMHO a single poster couldn't keep up the pace, or would have
become bored by now. Most trolls are short term annoyances, the use of
several ISPs in several cities, now advanced to dizum seems to bear out a
group.

news:c5g6bi$18d6h$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Just think, long after you've found a girlfriend, or otherwise
> gotten a life, rec.photo.digital will still be going strong.
>
> Must be a real boil on your ass knowing that.

Shane Baker

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 13:03:43 GMT, "~ Darrell ~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:c5g6bi$18d6h$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> Just think, long after you've found a girlfriend, or otherwise
>> gotten a life, rec.photo.digital will still be going strong.
>>
>> Must be a real boil on your ass knowing that.

>I believe it's the work of several people. Sort of a Hipcrime to various
>usenet groups. IMHO a single poster couldn't keep up the pace, or would have
>become bored by now. Most trolls are short term annoyances, the use of
>several ISPs in several cities, now advanced to dizum seems to bear out a
>group.

One thing's for certain: they have the boredom threshold of a flat
worm! And they must bugger-all else to do!

Pathetic prats.

Shane Baker
______________________
Canberra, Australia

Norman

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 13:03:43 GMT, "~ Darrell ~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I believe it's the work of several people. Sort of a Hipcrime to various
>usenet groups. IMHO a single poster couldn't keep up the pace, or would have
>become bored by now. Most trolls are short term annoyances, the use of
>several ISPs in several cities, now advanced to dizum seems to bear out a
>group.

What "several" people? Nah. Only one person is required. Sort the posts by
thread. You'll see 5-10 off-topic posts by the same "user" (sometimes 2-3 sets
by different "users") almost daily. Each of these messages is cross-posted to
2-3 other groups. These are the "seed" messages. The rest of the crap is posted
by idiots who reply to the messages.

It's a rather simple method, and actually requires minimal effort. The beauty of
it is that it relies upon the stupidity of the average Usenet poster, who love
to respond to a Troll. In fact, today, checking headers, I found over 200
followups to the seed posts in the 3 days since I last checked.

Unfortunately, many seed posts go through Dizum, and they don't seem to care if
people abuse their service. Other posts appear to go through Google. They may be
more responsive to complants. Basically, you're left with complaining to your
news provider to see if they'll filter out the crap for you.

For now, what I do is manually ID these "seed" users, and set Agent filters to
ignore their posts (and thus, their threads). It's a kludgy way to do things,
because it doesn't actually delete the posts. Unfortunately, because of the way
Agent works and the number of morons that post followups, it's about all I can
think of right now.

- ---
Norman
Please reply via group. E-mail ID does not exist.

Rick

"Norman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 13:03:43 GMT, "~ Darrell ~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> It's a rather simple method, and actually requires minimal effort.
> The beauty of it

There IS no beauty of it. These are lonely and in some cases
sociopathic people who have nothing better to do with their
lives than stare at computer monitors and try to disrupt news
groups. Utterly sad.

Rick