Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fuji Finepix S5000

Fuji Finepix S5000

Maria & Bill Rand

Hello to you.
Hope all is well.
I have just purchased a Fuji Finepix S5000 today and I am very pleased with
the product for the price, $530.00 Canadian.

I am not that knowledgeable with photography but it seems to have allot of
good features. I have tried the Macro and it is great, I also really like
the 10x optical zoom.

No real question just wanted to make a post and any comments or suggestions
are greatly appreciated.

--
Take Care, Talk to you soon.
Maria & Bill

Larry

In article <_RKec.89951$Pk3.41880@pd7tw1no>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Hello to you.
> Hope all is well.
> I have just purchased a Fuji Finepix S5000 today and I am very pleased with
> the product for the price, $530.00 Canadian.
>
> I am not that knowledgeable with photography but it seems to have allot of
> good features. I have tried the Macro and it is great, I also really like
> the 10x optical zoom.
>
> No real question just wanted to make a post and any comments or suggestions
> are greatly appreciated.

I think you will be very happy with the Fuji.

I have the 5000 and the 7000 along with a couple of Sonys and a Kodak, and it
fits right in with the group as far as picture quality and ease of use.

Its MUCH easier to use than my Sony 717 (5x zoom, but a TERRIFIC LENS)Its big
and klunky and wont fit in ANY coat pocket like the 5000 will. I love it and
use it a lot, but it tends to sit on a tripod with remote control while
working.

AS for my Sony V1, its definatley a pocket camera with good picture quality
BUT, the ergonomics on the V1 are HORRIBLE! If you want to use the optical
view finder you must squash your nose on the LCD screen, and you cant keep
your fingers out of the way of the pop-up flash! (4x zoom) Its better than
"snapshot quality" for most "walking around taking pictures" days, but it has
major faults.

The Kodak 6490 has a 10 to 1 zoom also, but it only saves in a VERY highly
compressed jpg format (artifacting is a problem with this camera but it
treats color quite well), this puts it in the "snapshot only" category for
me, and I tend to take it places where I wouldn't take the other cameras
(places that are wet/dusty/dirty/dangerous (kind of feel at this point that
if Kodak cant fix the firmware so it saves better quality, it wouldn't be a
great loss if it got damaged). Some guy posted in the group that ANTS
infested his 6490... I would have put in an insurance claim and NEVER belly-
ached to Kodak. (checked with the insurance company, my home owners policy
would have given me "replacement value) $500.00 (US(

Once you get used to using your Fuji, try the RAW mode, it takes quite an
impressive picture.
--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Dr Fish

"Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ews.com...
: In article <_RKec.89951$Pk3.41880@pd7tw1no>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
: > Hello to you.
: > Hope all is well.
: > I have just purchased a Fuji Finepix S5000 today and I am very
pleased with
: > the product for the price, $530.00 Canadian.
: >
: > I am not that knowledgeable with photography but it seems to have
allot of
: > good features. I have tried the Macro and it is great, I also
really like
: > the 10x optical zoom.

I have an S7000, good friend of mine has the 5000.

The zoom on the 5000 is great - I have not seen the results for the
macro stuff yet.

The 7000 has more toys )

: Once you get used to using your Fuji, try the RAW mode, it takes
quite an
: impressive picture.

I can 2nd that. There is a 3rd party RAW converter which apparently
works quite well - Google for it, it should be high up in the hits. I
use the plug-in for photoshop, the results are worth the extra space
on your cards.

HTH

AJM

Daz_n_Pat

"Dr Fish" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:407c604a$0$3300$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ews.com...
> : In article <_RKec.89951$Pk3.41880@pd7tw1no>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
> : > Hello to you.
> : > Hope all is well.
> : > I have just purchased a Fuji Finepix S5000 today and I am very
> pleased with
> : > the product for the price, $530.00 Canadian.
> : >
> : > I am not that knowledgeable with photography but it seems to have
> allot of
> : > good features. I have tried the Macro and it is great, I also
> really like
> : > the 10x optical zoom.
>
> I have an S7000, good friend of mine has the 5000.
>
> The zoom on the 5000 is great - I have not seen the results for the
> macro stuff yet.
>
> The 7000 has more toys )
>
> : Once you get used to using your Fuji, try the RAW mode, it takes
> quite an
> : impressive picture.
>
> I can 2nd that. There is a 3rd party RAW converter which apparently
> works quite well - Google for it, it should be high up in the hits. I
> use the plug-in for photoshop, the results are worth the extra space
> on your cards.
>
> HTH
>
> AJM

I also have the S7000 and my wife has the S5000. Both take terrific
pictures, though I must admit, I prefer the 7000 - more bells and whistles
on it. For the money, I think they are both great cameras. Haven't tried the
RAW mode much yet.....must do more of that. So far I've been trying to
conserve the card space as I take a lot of pictures in a day before I get a
chance to download them. Next buy will have to be a laptop I think.

Darryl.