Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Lost my 995. . Now what?

Lost my 995. . Now what?

Tobias G

Long story short - I lost my Nikon 995. I loved that camera. I
looked at prices on ebay, looks like 995's are about 250-300. Seems
kind of silly to pay that much for a camera I already had. . .maybe I
should take this as an oppurtunity to trade up? I'd like to hear some
suggestions for possible replacements.
--Macro- I shoot macro occasionally
--Swivel or twist LCD screen (I have a young daughter and getting down
to her level is not always possible)
--Manual Mode
--Decent battery life
--Decent low light focus and shooting

I take lots of pictures outside in all kinds of weather - hiking,
boating etc.

In my own research I am leaning toward the G5- I am open to
suggestions though. I haven't read anything stellar about the nikon
5000 series, this is a shame since I have 3 batteries, a charger and
external flash unit that would work with those models.

Another related question - the flash unit I have is a Promaster 5550
DX Digital - it's hot shoe is mostly plastic except for a little metal
part in the center. It also has a cord to attach to the flash
terminal on the 995(or any camera that has one of those little things)
Could I use this flash with another digital camera?

Thanks,
Tobias
http://gelstoncafe.com

dirtycow

<snip>

Bad news about the 995. It seems like the logical choices would be a 4500 or
5700/8700 as your accessories should fit them. It would also make sense to
stick with Nikon if your comfortable with them, as you would know your way
around the operating system on the Coolpix's.

Matt

David J Taylor

"dirtycow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c5g7o7$198hl$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> <snip>
>
> Bad news about the 995. It seems like the logical choices would be a

4500 or
> 5700/8700 as your accessories should fit them. It would also make sense

> stick with Nikon if your comfortable with them, as you would know your

way
> around the operating system on the Coolpix's.

The 995 accessories fit the swivel bodied Coolpix 4500, but not all will
fit the 5400/5700/8700 as the lenses are completely different. The
990/995/4500 remain the only swivel bodied cameras, and are probably the
ones to go for if bulk and ease of carrying matter to the OP. I went from
the 990 to the 5700 as I wanted the extra zoom - it is only a little
heavier but noticeably more bulky.

Cheers,
David