Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What is the best way to experience a European vacation?

What is the best way to experience a European vacation?

Bill Smith

John Navas wrote:
> Price is no object.

Well, lucky old you, then!
Would a cruise be more relaxing or should I fly?
What's the purpose of the vacation, to relax, or to see some of Europe?
Have you no country/regional preferences? - There's no such place as
Britain, or France, or Germany, as every country has interesting,
different, cities and rural/"scenic" areas, all with their individual
characteristics and attractions.
A cruise would be relaxing for many, but not for me - the idea of being
cooped up in a boat, however well-provided with facilities and
entertainment, and "let out' once in a while for a quick dash round a
seaport I didn't personally choose would be hell! Most docks are like
most other docks, and from the brochures I've read you'd not have a lot
of time to experience "Europe".
Your alternative to a cruise sounds uncomfortably like the stereotypical
"if it's Tuesday this must be Rome" jaunt. Why not choose an interesting
(for you) destination, or two, or even three, but not more - 17 days
doesn't allow much "experiencing" - and come back next year if you
enjoyed this trip.
Use some of your unlimited funds and buy some books, choose your
destinations with care, and then fly to Europe (where's that??) and
drive or take the train to see your chosen bits.

btw, is Frank ess *real*? Suspect it should be "ass" - or else his
humour is way above me.

st

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:39:45 -0600, Hatunen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:23:34 +1000, st <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>One carry-on size bag.
>>>One Eurail pass.
>>>No itinerary.

>>I can't endore this post enough.

>Is that supposed to be "endure" or "endorse"?

endorse. my bad.

Leven Community Council

John Navas wrote:
> Price is no object.

Well, lucky old you, then!
> Would a cruise be more relaxing or should I fly?

What's the purpose of the vacation, to relax, or to see some of Europe?
Have you no country/regional preferences? - There's no such place as
Britain, or France, or Germany, as every country has interesting,
different, cities and rural/"scenic" areas, all with their individual
characteristics and attractions.
A cruise would be relaxing for many, but not for me - the idea of being
cooped up in a boat, however well-provided with facilities and
entertainment, and "let out' once in a while for a quick dash round
*another* seaport I didn't personally choose would be hell! Most docks
are like most other docks, and from the brochures I've read you'd not
have a lot of time to experience "Europe".
Your alternative to a cruise sounds as if you're thinking of something
uncomfortably like the stereotypical "if it's Tuesday this must be
Rome" jaunt. Why not choose an interesting (for you) destination, or
two, or even three, but not more - 17 days doesn't allow much
"experiencing" - not too far apart from each other, and come back to
different places another year if you enjoyed this trip.
Use some of your unlimited funds and buy some books, choose your
destinations with care, and then fly to Europe (where's that??) and
drive or take the train to see your chosen bits.

(btw, is Frank ess *real*? Suspect it should be "ass" (US) - or else his
humour is way above me.)

Bill Smith

John Navas wrote:
> Price is no object.

Well, lucky old you, then!
> Would a cruise be more relaxing or should I fly?

What's the purpose of the vacation, to relax, or to see some of Europe?
Have you no country/regional preferences? - There's no such place as
Britain, or France, or Germany, as every country has interesting,
different, cities and rural/"scenic" areas, all with their individual
characteristics and attractions.
A cruise would be relaxing for many, but not for me - the idea of being
cooped up in a boat, however well-provided with facilities and
entertainment, and "let out' once in a while for a quick dash round
*another* seaport I didn't personally choose would be hell! Most docks
are like most other docks, and from the brochures I've read you'd not
have a lot of time to experience "Europe".
Your alternative to a cruise sounds as if you're thinking of something
uncomfortably like the stereotypical "if it's Tuesday this must be
Rome" jaunt. Why not choose an interesting (for you) destination, or
two, or even three, but not more - 17 days doesn't allow much
"experiencing" - not too far apart from each other, and come back to
different places another year if you enjoyed this trip.
Use some of your unlimited funds and buy some books, choose your
destinations with care, and then fly to Europe (where's that??) and
drive or take the train to see your chosen bits.

(btw, is Frank ess *real*? Suspect it should be "ass" (US) - or else his
humour is way above me.)

Iceman

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (John Navas) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Price is no object. Would a cruise be more relaxing or should I fly? I
> have roughly 17 days free.

Choose one country and really see it, spending lots of time in places,
meeting local people, and getting off the tourist trail. Italy,
Spain, or France would be a good choice.

If you do want to visit mutliple countries, consider spending five
days each in London/Paris/Rome, London/Paris/Amsterdam,
London/Paris/Barcelona, or Berlin/Prague/Vienna. Using those as a
base, you could take day trips to smaller towns nearby.

The problem with cruises is that you don't have nearly enough time in
the ports to really experience them. What do you do with four hours
in Rome or Barcelona? Three days wouldn't be enough.

BTC/TAK on ACK

> >>...relaxing ...
> >One carry-on size bag.
> >One Eurail pass.
> >No itinerary.

> I can't endore this post enough.

Well, I'd "endorse" it, myself.

[... and, I'm in a position to tease you because I, of course, I never make
typos!]

My only consideration is the "relaxing" part. My recent favorite European
excursions have been with "one carry-on size bag" and "no itinerary" [... I
haven't done the "Eurail pass" thing in such a looooong time I sort of
forget the "pros and cons"... I think I haven't hit enough different spots
in one trip to make it worthwhile lately] but "relaxing" isn't the first
descriptor I'd use for those trips. To be honest, I don't make much effort
to relax while in Europe. I wonder if a combination of 10 days on land,
followed by a 7 day cruise would work? I've done a trip like that [actually
a few weeks, mostly "city-hopping", there, and a "crossing" to get home],
and, though I was a bit weary when I boarded the ship, I was very relaxed by
the time I got home.

By the way, that "Price is no object" has me "green with envy"!!!

Mila

"st" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 22:18:00 GMT, Keeger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >(E-Mail Removed) (John Navas) wrote:
> >
> >>Price is no object. Would a cruise be more relaxing or should I fly? I
> >>have roughly 17 days free.

> >One carry-on size bag.
> >One Eurail pass.
> >No itinerary.

> I can't endore this post enough.

Mike Quint

Definitely I would Railpass. Make a rough itinerary but be flexible. I have
gotten off the train many of times just because the place looked
interesting. I once did this with a backpack and I bought a bike in Germany.
Bikes can be checked yourself on most trains for about $1. Just bring them
to the baggage car and hang them by the front wheel.
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e
This is a site for train schedules, I usually take long overnight trains. Do
not miss Zermatt Switzerland. and you might be able to schedule Munich in
late September for Oktoberfest.
I said you should make an itinerary of places that would be nice to see,
just as a guide line. Rick Steves books are also great guides.
The advantage to cruising is that right now the US dollar is very low,
making Europe more expensive, cruising makes the exchanging of money a
little less important.

Mike -- I really love cruising but sometimes a railpass is just more fun.

"> >Price is no object. Would a cruise be more relaxing or should I fly? I
> >have roughly 17 days free.

> One carry-on size bag.
> One Eurail pass.
> No itinerary.

> http://www.regimechangeusa.org/

mtravelkay

Nomen Nescio wrote:

> Cisco troll/netkook Michael Voight mtravelkay <(E-Mail Removed)> trolled with
> another stupid question from work:

I don't know how this happened as I didn't even post my response in
alt.visa.marriage-based or rec.photo.digital Nomen, can you provide an
example of anything "on topic" that you have ever posted? The original
poster asked about flying or cruising to Europe. I answered in the
groups posted to, except the digital photo one, because it wasn't
relevant. You response not only included the digital photo group, but
also a marriage based group.
Oh, by the way, in addition to responding to this, I am also looking out
the window.... In fact, I might even get up and grab a Coke out of the
fridge, AND NOT EVEN PAY MY EMPLOYER FOR IT.... Or, I might play some
pool or ping pong. I may even take a shower in the company shower.
Should I record all of the time I spend taking a break and send it to
you? To be honest... at least once, I have looked at a web site that was
not work related. Oh yeah, about 26 years ago while working as a C.O.
for the Illinois Dept of Corrections, I even wore my uniform coat and
badge outside of working hours. Sometimes at work, I even think about
retirement..... pssst.. don't tell the boss. But seriously, even you
have noted that I seem to be at work all hours of the day and night, so
maybe I actually spend some of this time working.

me@privacy.net

Keeger wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (John Navas) wrote:
>
> >Price is no object. Would a cruise be more relaxing or should I fly? I
> >have roughly 17 days free.

> One carry-on size bag.
> One Eurail pass.
> No itinerary.

> http://www.regimechangeusa.org/

HAVE TO second this post. Rail is THE way to travel in Europe--fast,
prompt, mostly first class. Not to snub river cruises, or the cruises
from Finland to Russia: if you really want to see a LOT of the country,
and countries, rail is the way.

You'll find most European cities are great for walking to sight-see, so
take good, comfortable walking shoes. Rain gear is essential, as well.

Go for street food: crepes in Paris, demi-baguettes from boulangeries
(nibble on the bread as you walk along the streets--the natives do!);
fries with Sate' in Amsterdam; sausages in Zurich; pizza (yeah, really!)
in Rome! AND, you gotta sip a cafe grande or glass of wine while
sitting in a sidewalk cafe. Now, THAT'S the way to see Europe.

You will also find that most cities have multi-day, unlimited passes for
their mass transit. Great for when the ole dogs get tired after walking
forever!

Enjoy!

vmkng3

If you call a store and ask for a best suite, price no object, without
giving any relative details, like your size, purpose of suite - formal,
business, casual, winter or summer, IT WILL BE A JOKE.

However , if someone asks a travel question in basically same manner on
Usenet, I do not know if this was a serious question or a joke.

Probably it is a joke.

Have a nice trip.

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...