Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > question regarding buying the Minolta DIMAGE A2?

question regarding buying the Minolta DIMAGE A2?

roy

i wish to buy the camera, but i heared and read that there is a lot of
noise, and i would like to know if someone have good recomedations on
it.

also i would like to know if in case i will shoot in 5-6 MP in this
camera, will the nise reduce or not, the reason i am asking it cause
the camera is much cheaper then a similer camera with 6-5 MP with the
samew lens, so why not reduce it in this one?

thanks

David J Taylor

"roy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> i wish to buy the camera, but i heared and read that there is a lot of
> noise, and i would like to know if someone have good recomedations on
> it.

If you _really_ want the Minolta, consider the 5MP A1 instead.

> also i would like to know if in case i will shoot in 5-6 MP in this
> camera, will the nise reduce or not, the reason i am asking it cause
> the camera is much cheaper then a similer camera with 6-5 MP with the
> samew lens, so why not reduce it in this one?
>
> thanks

I've been carrying out some comapritive tests on the 8MB Minolta A2
against the 5MP Nikon 5700, as I am thinking of upgrading. In no
particular order:

- the electronic viewfinder on the Minolta A2 is great (possibly not the
A1)

- pictures from the Nikon are sharper

- the Nikon has 35 - 280mm zoom, the Minolta 28 - 200mm (equivalent)

- the JPEG compression on the Minolta is not as good as on the Nikon

- the mechanical zoom ring on the Minolta is nice

- the macro capabilities of the Nikon are better

- the Minolta has anti-shale, which may work, but at the sort of exposures
where I need it (1/4 - 1 second) it said "sorry, exposure too long for
anti-shake"

- the LCD finder on the Nikon is more flexible

- the EVF on the Minolta is more flexible

- the auto-focus problems on the Nikon are exaggerated

- there are software faults on the A2 which existed on the A1 and haven't
been fixed

- there is more noise from the A2, but you might not notice it when
viewing normal prints at a normal viewing distance

If I were you, I would look at the 5MP cameras, because of the lower cost,
and perhaps the lower noise if it bothers you. In general, the
Nikon/Minolta/Canon/Sony (perhaps) cameras in the same price bracket all
all good in their own ways. Read the reviews, and if one of the problems
noted with a particular model is a real issue for you, don't buy that
model.

I really had hoped that the Minolta A2 would be a substantial advance on
the Nikon 5700, but in many ways it is not!

Cheers,
David

Rick

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...nolta-a2.shtml