Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon G5 Focusing Problem

Canon G5 Focusing Problem

Matthew Palmer

I just bought the Canon G5. I have noticed that an unusual amount of
daytime"easy" photo are not as sharp as they could be even with the flash
on. I was about to return the camera until I read in the manual about the
Continuous Focusing System. I thought it maybe interfering with my shooting
at the last second taking things a bit out of focus. I shut it off and have
had better"not perfect" success. I am fairly sure it is not camera shake 1.
because of the excellent lighting conditions and 2. this is my 3rd digicam
(Casio QV-3000 and Oly c-50) and this is the first problem like this. I am
still a bit leery of the G5 at this point, If someone could point me in the
right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

Don

Unless you need it for a particular reason, it's a good idea to turn the
continuous focus off, since it's a major source of battery drain, along with
the LCD screen. However, I don't understand why it would cause the problem
you describe. If it's still looking for a good focus when you trip the
shutter, the shutter should not actuate untill the focus has settled. I
would suggest taking it back and trying another one.

Don

"Matthew Palmer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just bought the Canon G5. I have noticed that an unusual amount of
> daytime"easy" photo are not as sharp as they could be even with the flash
> on. I was about to return the camera until I read in the manual about the
> Continuous Focusing System. I thought it maybe interfering with my

shooting
> at the last second taking things a bit out of focus. I shut it off and

have
> had better"not perfect" success. I am fairly sure it is not camera shake

1.
> because of the excellent lighting conditions and 2. this is my 3rd digicam
> (Casio QV-3000 and Oly c-50) and this is the first problem like this. I

am
> still a bit leery of the G5 at this point, If someone could point me in

the
> right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

RR

I too bought a G5, and experienced the same problems. In my opinion,
the auto mode is worthless. I have turned off continuous focus, and
only shoot in either shutter priority or aperture priority modes. When
shooting scenery, I always set the F stop to 8, make sure the shutter
speed is fast enough.

Also, make sure that you do pause after pressing the shutter release
down half way, and wait for the light to indicate focus.

This is a real problem, and I cannot figure out why Canon hasn't done
something about it. In any event, the camera does take nice pictures,
but this inability to be used as a point and click camera does put the
difficulty of use at a 9 out of 10. Knowing what I know now, I would
not have bought this camera.

Don wrote:
> Unless you need it for a particular reason, it's a good idea to turn the
> continuous focus off, since it's a major source of battery drain, along with
> the LCD screen. However, I don't understand why it would cause the problem
> you describe. If it's still looking for a good focus when you trip the
> shutter, the shutter should not actuate untill the focus has settled. I
> would suggest taking it back and trying another one.
>
> Don
>

> "Matthew Palmer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I just bought the Canon G5. I have noticed that an unusual amount of
>>daytime"easy" photo are not as sharp as they could be even with the flash
>>on. I was about to return the camera until I read in the manual about the
>>Continuous Focusing System. I thought it maybe interfering with my

> shooting
>
>>at the last second taking things a bit out of focus. I shut it off and

> have
>
>>had better"not perfect" success. I am fairly sure it is not camera shake

> 1.
>
>>because of the excellent lighting conditions and 2. this is my 3rd digicam
>>(Casio QV-3000 and Oly c-50) and this is the first problem like this. I

> am
>
>>still a bit leery of the G5 at this point, If someone could point me in

> the
>
>>right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

Graeme Cogger

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> I too bought a G5, and experienced the same problems. In my opinion,
> the auto mode is worthless. I have turned off continuous focus, and
> only shoot in either shutter priority or aperture priority modes. When
> shooting scenery, I always set the F stop to 8, make sure the shutter
> speed is fast enough.

On a G5, using f/8 gives you the _slowest_ possible shutter
speed, but the maximum depth of field. As a matter of
interest, the lens gives its best quality at around f/4 - f/5.6

RR

I have never been a serious photographer, but have been taking pictures
for 25 years. The problem of poor focus with the G5 seems to be more a
problem of the camera not focusing on the right object than a problem of
slow shutter speed. My pictures have been much improved by forcing
the deepest depth of field.

The G5 has a reasonably fast lens for a camera that size, so I don't
believe that the problem is now holding the camera still at slow shutter
speeds. I compare it to my old Coolpix 885 (dropped off a mountain
about a year ago). The lens on the Nikon was very slow, but I never had
focus problems.

Given the number of complaints I have seen on this newsgroup, I believe
the G5 has some fundamental problems with auto focus, that need to be
compensated for by the user. Again, the Auto setting results in a lot
of out of focus pictures, whether indoors or out in the bright sun.

RR