Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Help with choosing camera

Help with choosing camera

pointerspoint

Hi everyone,

I know you've answered this question a million times but I've been
researching cameras until I'm dizzy and I hope someone can help. What
is important to me is image quality, a decent zoom, and video with
sound capability. I don't need a real high megapixel because the most
I may want to print is 4 x 6 or possibly 5 x 7. I don't foresee
needing to print any 8 x 10s. The cameras I've narrowed it down to are
Fuji S5000, Kodak 6490, Panosanic DMC FZ1 (I think this one may be
hard to find?), and the Canon G3 (also hard to find?). When comparing
images online it seems the Canon G3 has amazing quality which is why I
like that one and might be willing to give up the zoom for it. Does
anyone have this camera and is the quality of the pictures that much
better than the others? (maybe it's just my monitor....haha) Every
time I thik I've decided for sure I read a bunch of negative things
about the camara I think I've decided on.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks,
Terrie

nellybly

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
pointerspoint <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Panosanic DMC FZ1 (I think this one may be
> hard to find?)

Panasonic DMC-FZ1K 2MP 12x Optical Zoom Digital Camera: $243.96 Shipped
http://www.dealsontheweb.com/deal-click.php?id=17915
OneCall Electronics is having a limited-time special on the Panasonic
DMC-FZ1K Digital Camera for $243.96 with Free FedEx 3-day shipping. The
camera features 2.0 megapixels, 12x optical & 3x digital zoom, a 1.5"
LCD display and a SD/MMC memory card slot. It's the lowest current
price we've seen. Expires Apr 12, 2004

Sounds like a great camera, especially at that price!
NB

Steven M. Scharf

pointerspoint" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I know you've answered this question a million times but I've been
> researching cameras until I'm dizzy and I hope someone can help. What
> is important to me is image quality, a decent zoom, and video with
> sound capability. I don't need a real high megapixel because the most
> I may want to print is 4 x 6 or possibly 5 x 7. I don't foresee
> needing to print any 8 x 10s. The cameras I've narrowed it down to are
> Fuji S5000, Kodak 6490, Panosanic DMC FZ1 (I think this one may be
> hard to find?), and the Canon G3 (also hard to find?).

<snip>

I'd avoid the DMC FZ1. 2Mp isn't sufficient for 5x7.

In the $400 range, the DX6490 is a good choice. The Canon A80 is also good
($325). But if you really want the wide optical zoom, nothing touches the
DX6490 in your price range.

The Canon G3 has been discontinued, and the G5 has come down in price so
much that it isn't worth buying a G3. Still, they are $550, which is more
than you want to spend apparently. There are several advantages to the G5
over the DX6490, including the hot shoe, the fact that it uses compact
flash, and the availability of lenses and filters with the use of an adapter
tube (though you won't need any lenses for the DX6490).

No camera is perfect, and there are negatives about every camera out there.

Digital Camera Short List: http://nordicgroup.us/digicam

Ron Baird

Hi Terrie,

All of the cameras are going to do a good job. I guess if it were me, I
would ask what you are going to do with your camera. What features do I
need now and what do I see me doing with the camera in the future.

Since I work for Kodak, I know the quality and what the features are of the
DX6490 and would suggest that one for you. My reason being that since you
do not want large images, I am going to guess that you want to use the
camera for general family situations, vacations, and possibly some creative
work of your own. If that is the case then I heartily suggest the Kodak
DX6490. The features that prompt me to suggest this are external flash (you
can light an entire room or greater and get great results), as well as have
all the adjustable camera features, if you want them. Having a large
optical zoom is also and advantage as you can optically zoom to get the
composition you want at an advanageous distance. When you couple that
feature with the external flash, you have solid and successful camera.

Also, the EasyShare camera gives you .... well ... EasyShare. This is
essentially the EasyShare software as well as the camera and the dock in
combination. You need only place the camera on the dock and the pictures
can be auto printed, emailed, and stored as a favorite image. Yes, email
addresses are included in the camera. If you get a printer dock you can
print your 4x6 images on a dye thermal printer that yields really good
results, and that are protected from water, etc. Check the Printer Dock at
the store.

So, if you have any interest in the Kodak camera, I am glad to share with
you. As I said, however, you will get good results from all. So, when you
do make your decision, don't look over your shoulder.

Talk to you soon, I will be here if you want to share any questions.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company