Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Batch converting JPEGS to B&W?

Batch converting JPEGS to B&W?

Jerry Perry

Can someone please suggest a freeware tool for batch converting JPEGS to
grayscale images? When I get requests for black & white images I've been
converting my files one at a time using the "Remove Color" command in
Photoshop Elements. It works well, but it takes a long time to do photos
individually that way. I'd sure love having a tool that does batch
conversion. Thanks in advance.

Dr Marti

yes - irfan view - www.irfanview.com
is freeware, small and speed and have bach conversion / rename option

dslr

Jerry Perry wrote:

> Can someone please suggest a freeware tool for batch converting JPEGS to
> grayscale images? When I get requests for black & white images I've been
> converting my files one at a time using the "Remove Color" command in
> Photoshop Elements. It works well, but it takes a long time to do photos
> individually that way. I'd sure love having a tool that does batch
> conversion. Thanks in advance.

www.irfanview.com will do that and much more, including resizing,
cropping, rotating, etc., etc.

--
regards,
dslr

Jerry Perry

"Dr Marti" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c591rg$3ir$(E-Mail Removed)...
> yes - irfan view - www.irfanview.com
> is freeware, small and speed and have bach conversion / rename option

Thank you!

Don

Photoshop 7 has the capability of storing scripts to do batch processing of
the type you want. It's a very powerful capability. You might check your
version of Elements to see if it includes that, but I suspect it's one of
the "frills" Adobe has stripped out of Elements.

BTW, I've found that Irfanview has the distinction of being the only program
I've found that has the capability to crash my P4 computer with WindowsXP.
Nobody else seems to have this problem, but I've found I can't use Irfanview
at all.

Don

"Jerry Perry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can someone please suggest a freeware tool for batch converting JPEGS to
> grayscale images? When I get requests for black & white images I've been
> converting my files one at a time using the "Remove Color" command in
> Photoshop Elements. It works well, but it takes a long time to do photos
> individually that way. I'd sure love having a tool that does batch
> conversion. Thanks in advance.

Paul H.

"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Photoshop 7 has the capability of storing scripts to do batch processing

of
> the type you want. It's a very powerful capability. You might check your
> version of Elements to see if it includes that, but I suspect it's one of
> the "frills" Adobe has stripped out of Elements.
>
> BTW, I've found that Irfanview has the distinction of being the only

program
> I've found that has the capability to crash my P4 computer with WindowsXP.
> Nobody else seems to have this problem, but I've found I can't use

Irfanview
> at all.

I personally know at least 20 people with P4's running XP Home and Pro--
Dell's, Gateway's, homebuilt's, HP's, etc.-- all of whom use regularly use
Irfanview without incident. I also know a couple of people who use Athlons
with Irfanview. You have probably installed some other program which has
changed one of your dll's, a problem which was a lot more common in past
years.

I'd give my system a real look-over, if I were you...

Jerry Perry

"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote "Irfanview has the distinction of being the
only program I've found that has the capability to crash my P4 computer with
WindowsXP."

I've now tried Infanview on my XP machine with happy success. It's very
convenient for doing the JPEG color to B&W conversion I was looking for.
I'll be sending the author the $10 he asks for because I'm impressed with
what he's giving away for free. I'll keep your warning about crashes in
mind though.

cuddles@salmahayeksknockers.edu

Jerry Perry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Can someone please suggest a freeware tool for batch converting JPEGS to
> grayscale images? When I get requests for black & white images I've been
> converting my files one at a time using the "Remove Color" command in
> Photoshop Elements. It works well, but it takes a long time to do photos
> individually that way. I'd sure love having a tool that does batch
> conversion. Thanks in advance.

Imagemagick under Linux. You need not re-install your whole computer to use
it, just download a "Live" distribution such as Knoppix.

--
.................................................. ............................

The search for truth is more precious than its possession.

.................................................. ............................
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) http://www.memeticcandiru.com

John Navas

In <(E-Mail Removed)> on Sat, 10 Apr 2004 11:13:58 -0700,
"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>BTW, I've found that Irfanview has the distinction of being the only program
>I've found that has the capability to crash my P4 computer with WindowsXP.

Then there is almost certainly something wrong with your system.

--
Best regards,
John Navas