Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > enhance picture of art painting

enhance picture of art painting

Yves

I intend to build a part of my website with paintings of a friend.

After that I take more than 200 pictures, it appears that a lot of the
painting are reflecting light. Is there a filter or a list of
manipulations that I can use to enhance the result.

PS : I use The Gimp 2.

--
Yves VDM --------------------------
-------- http://virtualgallery.be

Savidge4

>I intend to build a part of my website with paintings of a friend.
>
>After that I take more than 200 pictures, it appears that a lot of the
>painting are reflecting light. Is there a filter or a list of
>manipulations that I can use to enhance the result.
>
>PS : I use The Gimp 2.

I think the most honest answer to this question is to re-shoot your images.
taking a quick look at your site, I can see that you are using a digital
camera. One of the many wonders of this digital tool is to immediately see any
short comings in your images. You would only be doing yourself and your friend
a service by getting properly lit images upfront, and not manipulating and
enhancing the images you already have.

Steve King

Poloroid filters are supposed to help with unwanted reflections.

Steve . . .

"Yves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I intend to build a part of my website with paintings of a friend.
>
>After that I take more than 200 pictures, it appears that a lot of the
>painting are reflecting light. Is there a filter or a list of
>manipulations that I can use to enhance the result.
>
>PS : I use The Gimp 2.

Ted

"Steve King" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Poloroid filters are supposed to help with unwanted reflections.
>
> Steve . . .

Only from glass or metal.

Ken Weitzel

Ted wrote:
> "Steve King" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Poloroid filters are supposed to help with unwanted reflections.
>>
>>Steve . . .

> Only from glass or metal.

And water, and asphalt, and any other "shiny" reflective
surface.

Ken

Skip M

Polarizing, not Polaroid, filters do not minimize reflections from metal.
OTOH, they do minimize reflections from water.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
"Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zXkec.33919$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Steve King" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Poloroid filters are supposed to help with unwanted reflections.
> >
> > Steve . . .

> Only from glass or metal.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <zXkec.33919$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Steve King" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Poloroid filters are supposed to help with unwanted reflections.
> >
> > Steve . . .

> Only from glass or metal.

Polarizing filters work on any surface - water, water vapor, plants,
sidewalks, rocks, paint, wood, bird feathers, linoleum, and even skin.
The angle of reflection is all that matters. Since reflections directly
from the sun have no color and little texture, using a polarizer on
sunny days makes a dramatic improvement.

A polarizer can also double the relative brightness of reflections, if
you choose. Sometimes a reflection is important to a photograph.

Yves

I tried to use my polysiring filter ---> without none effect !

The reflexion comes from the coating lake (in frensh "vernis" ) applied on
the paintings.

--
-------- http://virtualgallery.be

Jack-of-the-Dust

Now that is what I call a real response. I to also have the same problem
with my polysiring filter. But a liberal application of "frensh vernis" does
the trick.

newsan.2004.04.12.06.56.28.411517@spamtheblackho le.org...