Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How can the digital camera influence photographers?

How can the digital camera influence photographers?

Kamol Panitpongsakorn

It seems that photographers, for example, have to spend a lot of money
in order to follow the new technology of digital camera. Is it
positive or negative aspect for photographers?

Rob O

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 16:28:16 GMT, "Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

snip
> MY COMMENT:
>
> I said good bye to film a year ago and will never come back again. Now
>I can shoot any time I want and do so many pictures I can't even imagine and
>do not pay even a single penny for that ( just for battery LOL).

Andy,

Just out of curiosity, what area are you from? I'm a typesetter, but
I work in a professional photo lab in eastern Canada. And I was
wondering what percentage of the pros in your area have go (partially
or fully) digital. The last time I talked to one of the company
owners about it, we were doing somethiong like 70%-80% digital work.
And I got the impression that this was unusually high.

I'm just curious how fast things are changing where your working.

Rob O

Andy

"Rob O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 16:28:16 GMT, "Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> snip
> > MY COMMENT:
> >
> > I said good bye to film a year ago and will never come back again.

Now
> >I can shoot any time I want and do so many pictures I can't even imagine

and
> >do not pay even a single penny for that ( just for battery LOL).
> >

> Andy,
>
> Just out of curiosity, what area are you from? I'm a typesetter, but
> I work in a professional photo lab in eastern Canada. And I was
> wondering what percentage of the pros in your area have go (partially
> or fully) digital. The last time I talked to one of the company
> owners about it, we were doing somethiong like 70%-80% digital work.
> And I got the impression that this was unusually high.
>
> I'm just curious how fast things are changing where your working.
>
> Rob O

It is hard to tell me what a percentage of professional photographers went
digital in London Ont. where I live because I'm not a pro and do not know
about it . Photography is my big hobby only and I rarely make money of that
.. Fact that I'm an IFPO member but do not take pictures for living , I'm
using their credential to get permission for taking pictures on some sport,
concert or entertainment events , where photographing is prohibited, or to
get a better and closer view .
Regardless your question , I noticed that in my area all or at least most
wedding photographers still prefer their trusted Hasselblads and Bronicas.
It is not because better quality of taken pictures on film , but because
of expensive digital backs for medium and large format cameras, and of
course inconvenience. It is hard to imagine to go to church and take a
computer for preview , table where you can put it , camera, lights, tripods
and a lot of other staff to take wedding pictures. But as soon as digital
backs will come closer to 30Megapixels ( right now what I know is 22
Megapixels max.) it will be worth of inconvenience and portability. 30
Megapixels will let you make as big as 16x20 photo quality prints which I
think is standard size of wedding portraits.
I think all or almost all portrait photographers in London malls went
digital a long time ago.
Commercial, industrial , real estate, news and advertising photographers
all prefer to go digital unless their customer chose conventional
photography.
Different side is a lab side. Digital media dominates there,
significantly.On digital printers it is possible to make billboard size
prints which would not be so easy or even possible by using a standard
enlarger. Not even mentioning about digital edition like special effects and
typing. Commercial scanners like BetterLight can scan your slides up to
920Mb. which let you make a good or acceptable quality enormously huge
prints .Before I bought my first printer and completely switched to digital
I used our London's commercial lab to scan and print my pictures. Our lab
sometimes was so busy that I had to wait a couple of weeks for digital
work. To get quicker job done I had to go to Oakville's commercial lab which
is located about 100 miles away from London. At this time closer lab in
Hamilton was so busy that did not accept amateurs orders unless you had
multiple films for processing .
I think , digital photography made a big step forward and quickly will
dominate in photo industry.

Rob O

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:23:53 GMT, "Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

snip

>It is hard to tell me what a percentage of professional photographers went
>digital in London Ont. where I live because I'm not a pro and do not know
>about it . Photography is my big hobby only and I rarely make money of that
>. Fact that I'm an IFPO member but do not take pictures for living , I'm
>using their credential to get permission for taking pictures on some sport,
>concert or entertainment events , where photographing is prohibited, or to
>get a better and closer view .
>Regardless your question , I noticed that in my area all or at least most
>wedding photographers still prefer their trusted Hasselblads and Bronicas.

snip
>I think , digital photography made a big step forward and quickly will
>dominate in photo industry.

Thanks for your repsonse Andy. The 70-80% I quoted is work printed
from digital files. But the amount of work coming to us in a digital
format isn't much below that. Almost all of the slide and negative
film we get now is scanned and burned to CD.

Something that may have helped with the change over in our area is
that most photographers don't live near a developer, and so have to
use a courier service to send film to be developed and printed. We've
setup an online digital envelope system that saves some of the courier
cost and speeds up the turn around times. A real handy setup when your
a photographer in Newfoundland and the developer is in New Brunswick.

Rob O