Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 8mm fisheye on DSLR

8mm fisheye on DSLR

Lung Fish

Since my local shop does not have one in stock, I can't easily run out and
just try this to see what the results will be, so I will just pose the
question in case someone has attempted it:

The Sigma (or other) 8mm circular fisheyes would crop to a 12mm field of
view on the Nikon DSLRs. Would this create a full-frame image or would
there be vignetting?

Roland Karlsson

Lung Fish <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Since my local shop does not have one in stock, I can't easily run out
> and just try this to see what the results will be, so I will just pose
> the question in case someone has attempted it:
>
> The Sigma (or other) 8mm circular fisheyes would crop to a 12mm field
> of view on the Nikon DSLRs. Would this create a full-frame image or
> would there be vignetting?

The sensors in DSLR are approx 15x23 mm.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page2.asp

So ... if yoor 12 mm is correct, it will work just fine.

/Roland

Lung Fish

Roland Karlsson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> The sensors in DSLR are approx 15x23 mm.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page2.asp
>
> So ... if yoor 12 mm is correct, it will work just fine.

I know it will work. What I want to know is whether it will vignette or
fill the frame.

David Kilpatrick

Lung Fish wrote:

> Since my local shop does not have one in stock, I can't easily run out and
> just try this to see what the results will be, so I will just pose the
> question in case someone has attempted it:
>
> The Sigma (or other) 8mm circular fisheyes would crop to a 12mm field of
> view on the Nikon DSLRs. Would this create a full-frame image or would
> there be vignetting?

Slight vignetting. The Sigma 8mm has am image circle of approximately
22mm (fitting a circle just inside the 24mm height of the 35mm frame).
The diagonal of the Nikon sensor is 27.5mm. You will get dark cut-off
corners.

David

>> So ... if yoor 12 mm is correct, it will work just fine.

> I know it will work. What I want to know is whether it will vignette or
> fill the frame.

If it is 12 mm diameter, it will not vignette.

Now ... as David said - it is not 12 mm, but rather 22 mm.
Then it will vignette.

/Roland

George

I have a D70 and the Nikon 8mm f/2.8 fisheye (24mm circular image)...what
that combo gives is very slight cut off in the corners. My finder divides
the scene into 16 equal size rectangles and each of the 4 corner rectangles
cuts off in about the final 1/3 (approximately 44/48, 91.7%,
coverage)...rather an unusual shape. Tilting the lens up or down gives the
usual curvature effect.

HTH,
George

"David Kilpatrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c56gpj$n6a$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Lung Fish wrote:
>
> > Since my local shop does not have one in stock, I can't easily run out

and
> > just try this to see what the results will be, so I will just pose the
> > question in case someone has attempted it:
> >
> > The Sigma (or other) 8mm circular fisheyes would crop to a 12mm field of
> > view on the Nikon DSLRs. Would this create a full-frame image or would
> > there be vignetting?

> Slight vignetting. The Sigma 8mm has am image circle of approximately
> 22mm (fitting a circle just inside the 24mm height of the 35mm frame).
> The diagonal of the Nikon sensor is 27.5mm. You will get dark cut-off
> corners.
>
> David

Lung Fish

David Kilpatrick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:c56gpj$n6a$(E-Mail Removed):

> Slight vignetting. The Sigma 8mm has am image circle of approximately
> 22mm (fitting a circle just inside the 24mm height of the 35mm frame).
> The diagonal of the Nikon sensor is 27.5mm. You will get dark cut-off
> corners.

Thanks. I didn't equate the other explanation in those terms.