Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Restore old photos

Restore old photos

Luk

When scanning old sepia photographs, there are often
rust-colored specks and blotches to deal with. What
is the best approach in cleaning these up? I wonder if
there's a way to attack this from the point of view of
color and clear up a lot of it at once.

I generally use Photoshop Elements 2 but also have
Paint Shop Pro 8.

Thanks for any tips

Luk

Alan F Cross

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Luk
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>When scanning old sepia photographs, there are often
>rust-colored specks and blotches to deal with. What
>is the best approach in cleaning these up? I wonder if
>there's a way to attack this from the point of view of
>color and clear up a lot of it at once.
>
>I generally use Photoshop Elements 2 but also have
>Paint Shop Pro 8.
>
>Thanks for any tips
>
>Luk

Go to channels (RGB) and switch off any two of the three. See which one
you like best from the point of view of overall tonal balance and
suppression of the spots. Delete the channels you don't want, and
convert to grey scale.

There are many ways to add back the sepia. I use an overlaying layer of
solid colour (200, 125, 0), blended with Soft Light and reduced to 5-20%
opacity according to taste.
--
Alan F Cross BSc LRPS: Heathfield Studios - Digital Photography, Web Design
'Heathfield', Heathlands Road, Wokingham, Berkshire, RG40 3AR, UK.

Luk

Alan F Cross wrote:

> Go to channels (RGB) and switch off any two of the three. See which one
> you like best from the point of view of overall tonal balance and
> suppression of the spots. Delete the channels you don't want, and
> convert to grey scale.
>
> There are many ways to add back the sepia. I use an overlaying layer of
> solid colour (200, 125, 0), blended with Soft Light and reduced to 5-20%
> opacity according to taste.

Thanks. This is a great place for getting advice.
Any additional ideas will also be welcome.

Luk