Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > DX6440 discontinued

DX6440 discontinued

Michael Hoffman

Hi all,

First off, let me thank the newsgroup in general for providing a font
of useful information during my search for a digital camera.

I had settled on the Kodak DX6440 after much research. Unfortunately,
I missed the Buy.com offer of $227.00 for this camera . But I noticed it
on sale at CompUsa and various other dealers.

After checking some of the local stores, only to find out they were
sold out, I finally asked when more would be in stock. The sales clerk
looked it up and reported that the DX6440 had been discontinued!!!

She also mentioned that she believed the DX6340 was also discontinued.

Does anyone know why??? I understand that models go discontinued
after some time, but these models are still in their infancy (released mid to
late last year, I believe). They also seemed to be very good sellers.

Also strange, the DX4530 and CX6330 are still both being carried. But,
both of those use the Kodak Retinar lens, versus the Schneider-Kreuznach on
the two discontinued models.

Could the discontinuation have anything to do with the lens??? Or was
it something else?

I also notice the number of refurbs being hawked on EBay. Was there
something inherently wrong with the camera that caused so many returns (or
breakdowns)???

I'm still interested in this camera, but now am questioning my
decision. Please... any info would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Michael Hoffman

Ron Hunter

Michael Hoffman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First off, let me thank the newsgroup in general for providing a font
> of useful information during my search for a digital camera.
>
> I had settled on the Kodak DX6440 after much research. Unfortunately,
> I missed the Buy.com offer of $227.00 for this camera . But I noticed it
> on sale at CompUsa and various other dealers.
>
> After checking some of the local stores, only to find out they were
> sold out, I finally asked when more would be in stock. The sales clerk
> looked it up and reported that the DX6440 had been discontinued!!!
>
> She also mentioned that she believed the DX6340 was also discontinued.
>
> Does anyone know why??? I understand that models go discontinued
> after some time, but these models are still in their infancy (released mid to
> late last year, I believe). They also seemed to be very good sellers.
>
> Also strange, the DX4530 and CX6330 are still both being carried. But,
> both of those use the Kodak Retinar lens, versus the Schneider-Kreuznach on
> the two discontinued models.
>
> Could the discontinuation have anything to do with the lens??? Or was
> it something else?
>
> I also notice the number of refurbs being hawked on EBay. Was there
> something inherently wrong with the camera that caused so many returns (or
> breakdowns)???
>
> I'm still interested in this camera, but now am questioning my
> decision. Please... any info would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Michael Hoffman

Michael,
Since Kodak has marketed a 7630 model, I suspect a new group will be
released soon. I have the DX6440 and I am quite pleased with it. Other
than a rather cheap and poorly designed battery compartment door, and a
VERY stiff diopter adjustment, I have no complaints about the camera.
It does require a bit of a different operation technique from previous
cameras in that you must press the shutter button halfway down, wait
until the autofocus works, and press it the rest of the way down.

Michael Hoffman

Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Michael Hoffman wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > First off, let me thank the newsgroup in general for providing a font
> > of useful information during my search for a digital camera.
> >
> > I had settled on the Kodak DX6440 after much research. Unfortunately,
> > I missed the Buy.com offer of $227.00 for this camera . But I noticed it
> > on sale at CompUsa and various other dealers.
> >
> > After checking some of the local stores, only to find out they were
> > sold out, I finally asked when more would be in stock. The sales clerk
> > looked it up and reported that the DX6440 had been discontinued!!!
> >
> > She also mentioned that she believed the DX6340 was also discontinued.
> >
> > Does anyone know why??? I understand that models go discontinued
> > after some time, but these models are still in their infancy (released mid to
> > late last year, I believe). They also seemed to be very good sellers.
> >
> > Also strange, the DX4530 and CX6330 are still both being carried. But,
> > both of those use the Kodak Retinar lens, versus the Schneider-Kreuznach on
> > the two discontinued models.
> >
> > Could the discontinuation have anything to do with the lens??? Or was
> > it something else?
> >
> > I also notice the number of refurbs being hawked on EBay. Was there
> > something inherently wrong with the camera that caused so many returns (or
> > breakdowns)???
> >
> > I'm still interested in this camera, but now am questioning my
> > decision. Please... any info would be appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Michael Hoffman
> >

> Michael,
> Since Kodak has marketed a 7630 model, I suspect a new group will be
> released soon. I have the DX6440 and I am quite pleased with it. Other
> than a rather cheap and poorly designed battery compartment door, and a
> VERY stiff diopter adjustment, I have no complaints about the camera.
> It does require a bit of a different operation technique from previous
> cameras in that you must press the shutter button halfway down, wait
> until the autofocus works, and press it the rest of the way down.

Ron,
Thanks for the info! I'll continue to lok for the DX6440, unless they
release a DX7 series with 4x optical zoom (the main selling point of
this camera!).

As to the shutter operation, I got used to that with my wife's Nikon
SLR camera.

Michael

Ron Baird

Hi Mike,

The cameras are not discontinued, and continue to be quite popular. The
person was likely reading from their order options which may show the
discontinued from their listings.

There is nothing wrong with the DX6440 nor is there an issue with the DX4530
or the DX6340. All are fine cameras and continue to be popular, i.e. the
stores you reviewed sold out of them, generally for a good reason....they
were desired.

All products have a life cycle, which generally is determined by the
technology world it is in, i.e. digital cameras or steel plates. Digital
cameras are going to go out of date far before a steel plate. Maybe that is
a bad example, but I am sure you get my meaning. Any maker of digital
cameras will try to determine the number of cameras that it believes it will
sell of a given model and have that number manufactured over a certain
amount of time. Unless something special happens, that number would be all
that are made. If the model is extremely popular, additional cameras may be
made but in general it would be what was planned.

The fact that a camera is not available at a retailer does not have anything
to do with it being discontinued. Rather, it means it is simply popular.

Talk to you soon, Michael, you will love your new camera. It is a good
model. I am here for you if you have questions about it.

Best regards,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Michael Hoffman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c53m93$sde$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi all,
>
> First off, let me thank the newsgroup in general for providing a font
> of useful information during my search for a digital camera.
>
> I had settled on the Kodak DX6440 after much research. Unfortunately,
> I missed the Buy.com offer of $227.00 for this camera . But I noticed

it
> on sale at CompUsa and various other dealers.
>
> After checking some of the local stores, only to find out they were
> sold out, I finally asked when more would be in stock. The sales clerk
> looked it up and reported that the DX6440 had been discontinued!!!
>
> She also mentioned that she believed the DX6340 was also discontinued.
>
> Does anyone know why??? I understand that models go discontinued
> after some time, but these models are still in their infancy (released mid

> late last year, I believe). They also seemed to be very good sellers.
>
> Also strange, the DX4530 and CX6330 are still both being carried. But,
> both of those use the Kodak Retinar lens, versus the Schneider-Kreuznach

on
> the two discontinued models.
>
> Could the discontinuation have anything to do with the lens??? Or was
> it something else?
>
> I also notice the number of refurbs being hawked on EBay. Was there
> something inherently wrong with the camera that caused so many returns (or
> breakdowns)???
>
> I'm still interested in this camera, but now am questioning my
> decision. Please... any info would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Michael Hoffman

kodak dx6440 or canon s45 or olympus c5050z Philip Lean Digital Photography 0 11-04-2003 09:16 PM
kodak dx6440 jpeg compression and lens sharpness question Phillean Digital Photography 5 10-04-2003 10:39 PM
Canon PowerShot SD100 vs. Kodak EasyShare DX6440 GregNeuf Digital Photography 0 08-01-2003 07:33 PM
Kodak DX6440 Alan Digital Photography 2 07-18-2003 12:57 PM
Re: Kodak DX6440 Ron Baird Digital Photography 1 07-16-2003 11:46 AM

Advertisments