Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > X-Drive II and external battery back

X-Drive II and external battery back

T Strong

After becoming increasingly disappointed with low performance of internal
battery I have finally found what seems a reasonable solution for an
external battery for X-Drive II.

Literally a simple holder for 6 AA batteries with appropriate plug to
connect to X Drive.

See

http://www.card-media.co.uk/xsdrive+II.htm

Now perhaps the obvious questions as to how much battery life will I get
from this, etc etc.

Not tested fully yet, only tested to extent of running down the internal
battery and connecting the external charger. My observations to date:

1) X-drive does not show "charging light" as it would with external charger
attached via the same socket

2) On running down the internal battery to "one flashing bar" (of four) on
the LCD display and then connecting the external pack it increases to 2 bars
and carries on functioning. This seems reasonably consistent with advice on
web page referred to above "note that the X'S-Drive internal batteries must
have a minimum level of charge to allow the use of the external battery
pack" - indicating that internal circuitry can somehow identify difference
between a charger being connected and a battery pack?

3) have used it with both regular AA batteries and rechargeable batteries,
works with both.

Looking for advice or experiences from anyone using similar arrangement:

What additional usage might this offer (internal batteries per instruction
manual are two 3.6V (720mAh) batteries) if I am running the external battery
pack with 6 NiMh 2200 mAh rechargeables?

Any other problems, drawbacks etc.

Thanks in advance.

Alfred Molon

T Strong <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What additional usage might this offer (internal batteries per instruction
>manual are two 3.6V (720mAh) batteries) if I am running the external battery
>pack with 6 NiMh 2200 mAh rechargeables?

The internal battery of the Xs Drive II is 7.2V at 780 mAh, for a total
evergy of 5.6 Wh. Six 2200 mAH NiMh will have a total energy of 15.8 Wh,
i.e. almost three times that of the internal battery.

The internal battery is good for about 3 - 3.5 GByte of data transfers,
so the external battery should give you 9 - 10 GB of data transfers.
--

Alfred Molon

T Strong

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> >What additional usage might this offer (internal batteries per

instruction
> >manual are two 3.6V (720mAh) batteries) if I am running the external

battery
> >pack with 6 NiMh 2200 mAh rechargeables?

> The internal battery of the Xs Drive II is 7.2V at 780 mAh, for a total
> evergy of 5.6 Wh. Six 2200 mAH NiMh will have a total energy of 15.8 Wh,
> i.e. almost three times that of the internal battery.
>
> The internal battery is good for about 3 - 3.5 GByte of data transfers,
> so the external battery should give you 9 - 10 GB of data transfers.
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

Many thanks Alfred for the Maths on the calculation of likely
usage/capacity.

My experience with transfers on internal batteries has been about 2 to 2.5
Gbyte of date. Not sure if this is a function of largely using Crucial 256
mb CF Cards which I think are quite slow on download?.

But have adequate supply of AA batteries, both standard and rechargeable, so
this should give me a good back up resource when away from mains power for
several days at a time. All I need now is a solar powered charger for the
NiMh's !!!!