Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > why is the Nikon 9000 scanner nearly half the price of the previous 8000?

why is the Nikon 9000 scanner nearly half the price of the previous 8000?

nobody nowhere

The specifications of the 9000 seem to exceed those of the 8000 (eg. 16
bit instead of 14 bit), so why the difference in price? What has the
8000 got which the 9000 doesn't?
--

nobody

zbzbzb

>The specifications of the 9000 seem to exceed those of the 8000 (eg. 16
>bit instead of 14 bit), so why the difference in price? What has the
>8000 got which the 9000 doesn't?
>--
>
>nobody

It will probaly that last in their line of scanners, maybe?

David J. Littleboy

"nobody nowhere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The specifications of the 9000 seem to exceed those of the 8000 (eg. 16
> bit instead of 14 bit), so why the difference in price? What has the
> 8000 got which the 9000 doesn't?

Nothing. The 8000 was overpriced, and they're just admitting that at
US$3,000 there's no market for the thing. In Japan, the 9000's the same
price as the 8000 was.

The 9000 _might_ fix a couple of minor irritations the 8000 comes with.
Given how bad grain noise, even in slide film, is at 4000 dpi, the 16 bits
vs 14 bits bit is totally bogus. 12 bits would be plenty.

zbzbzb asked: "It will probably that last in their line of scanners, maybe?"

Heck, I don't even understand why they made an MF scanner in the first
place: the only MF camera Nikon ever made was a Rollei TLR knock-off, and
that camera may not even have gotten to the prototype stage.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan