Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Square or Rectangular Lenses, D70, etc

Square or Rectangular Lenses, D70, etc

street shooter

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Tom L.P.) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> I've always thought one of the biggest rip-offs going is how camera
> manufacturers sell us cameras with circular lenses, much of which is
> wasted on in the resulting rectangular pictures and prints.
>
> I saw this link to a vehicle with square wheels
> http://radio.weblogs.com/0105910/2004/04/05.html
> is why I bring this up currently.
>
> That link got me thinking, when will consumers stop being sheep? When
> will we force camera manufacturers to give us products of efficient
> design? Go waste your disposable income on a D70 or the like, and
> feel happy (temporarily), is all they'd have us do.
>
> The happy contented feeling will wear off soon enough, we all know the
> tune - in part because we know deep inside we were ripped off by
> someone peddling products of incredibly inefficient design. I want to
> encourage you to send email, letters, make phone calls or whatever it
> takes. Now is the time for efficiently designed cameras, with shape
> appropriate lenses.
>

> Tom

It is for this very same reason that I am having laser surgery on my
eyes - not to improve my vision, but to have my inefficient eyeballs
surgically mutated into one eye cube with a 2:3, horizontal-dominant
field of vision. That should correct His inefficient design. Glad
you thought of it; we are all much more enlightened.

Michael

Don Stauffer

Generally, rectangular glass lenses are made by making circular ones,
then grinding edges until they are rectangular. The most common
rectangular lenses that I remember are those on many old hand slide
viewers. There are also many rectangular magnifying glasses. Also,
lenses in some camera viewfinders are rectangular.

In the last half century most rectangular lenses have been plastic, and
molded that way.

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota
(E-Mail Removed)

Paul J Gans

Tom L.P. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I've always thought one of the biggest rip-offs going is how camera
>manufacturers sell us cameras with circular lenses, much of which is
>wasted on in the resulting rectangular pictures and prints.

>I saw this link to a vehicle with square wheels
>http://radio.weblogs.com/0105910/2004/04/05.html
>is why I bring this up currently.

>That link got me thinking, when will consumers stop being sheep? When
>will we force camera manufacturers to give us products of efficient
>design? Go waste your disposable income on a D70 or the like, and
>feel happy (temporarily), is all they'd have us do.

>The happy contented feeling will wear off soon enough, we all know the
>tune - in part because we know deep inside we were ripped off by
>someone peddling products of incredibly inefficient design. I want to
>encourage you to send email, letters, make phone calls or whatever it
>takes. Now is the time for efficiently designed cameras, with shape
>appropriate lenses.

This is simple enough to fix. Use a pro trick. Take
a hammer and simple flatten the sides of your lenses.
I'd check after every few blows to ensure that you have
not flattened too much because the lenses are hard to
unflatten.

----- Paul J. Gans