Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Auto Rotate - Image Software

Auto Rotate - Image Software

Ida Noe

Maybe I missed it somewhere?

Seems I always have to ROTATE each image that was shot vertically in order
to see it correctly on the computer screen.

What software has the ability to recognize that a photo has been taken
vertically and needs to be saved as such?

It's a bit time consuming if I had to rotate 100 images one by one.
Is there help for this situation??

Thanks.

Keith Sheppard

>>What software has the ability to recognize that a photo has been taken
>>vertically and needs to be saved as such?

Any software capable of doing this would be truly remarkable. Stop and
think for a moment. How is the software supposed to recognise that the
photo was taken vertically? The camera doesn't contain a spirit level or
any other device for knowing that you tilted it when you shot the picture,
so there are no hidden markers in the image file to say that it was shot
vertically.

The only thing the software has to go on is the image itself. Image
analysis is an enormously complicated science at the best of times. Could
you come up with a set of rules for deciding what pictures were sideways and
which in "landscape" aspect ratio - a rule which would work for portraits,
landscapes, indoor scenes, still life and everything in between?

>>It's a bit time consuming if I had to rotate 100 images one by one.

Please feel free to try out my PhotoMan package at
http://homepages.tesco.net/~Keith.Sh...toman/beta.htm.

With that you can select as many frames as you like (using Ctrl + left
click) from a single Windows folder and then say "go and rotate that lot"
before going off to make a cup of tea. I'm sorry that's the best I can
offer. Deciding which frames to rotate automatically is beyond my feeble
wit.

Keith

zbzbzb

>>>What software has the ability to recognize that a photo has been taken
>>>vertically and needs to be saved as such?

>Any software capable of doing this would be truly remarkable. Stop and
>think for a moment. How is the software supposed to recognise that the
>photo was taken vertically? The camera doesn't contain a spirit level or
>any other device for knowing that you tilted it when you shot the picture,
>so there are no hidden markers in the image file to say that it was shot
>vertically.

Many Canon cameras do. My Canon A80 does and automatically rotates vertically
taken pictures which can be viewed in the camera's LCD. Then when you later
downlaod your pics via Canon's ZoomBrowser software it will download and save
the pics already rotated.

Even my old 35mm Canon Elan IIe would sense a vertical orientation for the eye
focus mechanism. In that camera it had a little ball bearing, I'm assuming as
you could hear it moving, that would close a circuit.

Joseph Meehan

Ida Noe wrote:
> Maybe I missed it somewhere?
>
> Seems I always have to ROTATE each image that was shot vertically in
> order to see it correctly on the computer screen.
>
> What software has the ability to recognize that a photo has been taken
> vertically and needs to be saved as such?
>
> It's a bit time consuming if I had to rotate 100 images one by one.
> Is there help for this situation??
>
> Thanks.

It needs to get data from the camera to determine that the camera was
vertical at the time of the exposure. After the fact, it might not be hard
for you to tell, but software would have a hard time.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

zbzbzb

> It needs to get data from the camera to determine that the camera was
>vertical at the time of the exposure. After the fact, it might not be hard
>for you to tell, but software would have a hard time.
>--
>Joseph E. Meehan
>
>26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Canon does this automatically with their cameras and software.

Ron Hunter

zbzbzb wrote:

>>Any software capable of doing this would be truly remarkable. Stop and
>>think for a moment. How is the software supposed to recognise that the
>>photo was taken vertically? The camera doesn't contain a spirit level or
>>any other device for knowing that you tilted it when you shot the picture,
>>so there are no hidden markers in the image file to say that it was shot
>>vertically.

> Many Canon cameras do. My Canon A80 does and automatically rotates vertically
> taken pictures which can be viewed in the camera's LCD. Then when you later
> downlaod your pics via Canon's ZoomBrowser software it will download and save
> the pics already rotated.
>
> Even my old 35mm Canon Elan IIe would sense a vertical orientation for the eye
> focus mechanism. In that camera it had a little ball bearing, I'm assuming as
> you could hear it moving, that would close a circuit.

This feature also is on many of the 6xxx series Kodak cameras, if not
all of them.

William Jackson

Ron

there is a slight difference in the way that the Kodak camera does this and
the Canon camera does this (at least the 10D, I don't own any other Canon's)

The Kodak cameras rotate the bits in the image and the image is then defined
as 768x1024 instead of 1024x768 (as an example)

The Canon cameras set a bit in the EXIF header that tells the Canon software
that the image is rotated. If you're not using the Canon software, the
image still comes out sideways.

Each has its advantages and disadvantages, I happen to like the Kodak
solution since ANY software that I use has the image properly oriented.

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Many Canon cameras do. My Canon A80 does and automatically rotates

vertically
> > taken pictures which can be viewed in the camera's LCD. Then when you

later
> > downlaod your pics via Canon's ZoomBrowser software it will download and

save
> > the pics already rotated.
> >
> > Even my old 35mm Canon Elan IIe would sense a vertical orientation for

the eye
> > focus mechanism. In that camera it had a little ball bearing, I'm

assuming as
> > you could hear it moving, that would close a circuit.
> >

> This feature also is on many of the 6xxx series Kodak cameras, if not
> all of them.

stewy

Lasso more than one image with PhotoShop's browser and learn the keyboard
shortcuts

"Ida Noe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Maybe I missed it somewhere?
>
> Seems I always have to ROTATE each image that was shot vertically in order
> to see it correctly on the computer screen.
>
> What software has the ability to recognize that a photo has been taken
> vertically and needs to be saved as such?
>
> It's a bit time consuming if I had to rotate 100 images one by one.
> Is there help for this situation??
>
> Thanks.

John Navas

In <jLPcc.39$lA5.19@newsfe1-win> on Wed, 7 Apr 2004 10:21:34 +0100, "Keith
Sheppard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>What software has the ability to recognize that a photo has been taken
>>>vertically and needs to be saved as such?

>Any software capable of doing this would be truly remarkable. Stop and
>think for a moment. How is the software supposed to recognise that the
>photo was taken vertically?

From the EXIF data in the image.

>The camera doesn't contain a spirit level or
>any other device for knowing that you tilted it when you shot the picture,

Some cameras do have an orientation sensor.

>so there are no hidden markers in the image file to say that it was shot
>vertically.

See above.

>The only thing the software has to go on is the image itself. ...

True with some cameras, but not with others. See
<http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/g5/features7.html>.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

Ida Noe

Torrex,

Does the zoombrowser only save the vertical images correctly if you download
FROM the camera itself?

Or, can zoombrowser also read the EXIF through a card reader and save the
images in the correct orientation?

I'll try to find my old Canon software disk......somewhere.

Thanks.

<message snipped for brevity>