Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Need sliwshow software to automatically show photos and play sounds

Need sliwshow software to automatically show photos and play sounds

Thumper

My father-in-law is interested in voice labelling all the photos he
plans on taking on an upcoming trip. He will see a lot of stuff and he
wants to remember what everything was that he saw.

Windows XP slideshow will only display the photos in your folder. But
he'd like the slideshow to play any WAV files "associated" with those
photos -- that is, the audio clip that he added to the photo at the
time.

*** Is there any software that will do this? ***

I checked Ulead CD & DVD Picture Show and it lets you easily build a
slideshow and associate sound files to picture files. It is perfect
for me, but too advanced for this 60-something user.

I need software where you can dump all the photos and audio and press
Start Slideshow. Suggestions?

Mark M

"Thumper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> My father-in-law is interested in voice labelling all the photos he
> plans on taking on an upcoming trip. He will see a lot of stuff and he
> wants to remember what everything was that he saw.
>
> Windows XP slideshow will only display the photos in your folder. But
> he'd like the slideshow to play any WAV files "associated" with those
> photos -- that is, the audio clip that he added to the photo at the
> time.
>
> *** Is there any software that will do this? ***
>
> I checked Ulead CD & DVD Picture Show and it lets you easily build a
> slideshow and associate sound files to picture files. It is perfect
> for me, but too advanced for this 60-something user.
>
> I need software where you can dump all the photos and audio and press
> Start Slideshow. Suggestions?

ACDSee 6 will let you do that.
You can add audio annotation to image files, which will play back during a
slide show (which run automatically from any folder you like).

www.acdsystems.com

Ralph

MyAlbum does that. Their demo files include an example.
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/myalbum/

--
remove n u m b e r s to reply
Thumper wrote in message
<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>My father-in-law is interested in voice labelling all the photos he
>plans on taking on an upcoming trip. He will see a lot of stuff and he
>wants to remember what everything was that he saw.
>
>Windows XP slideshow will only display the photos in your folder. But
>he'd like the slideshow to play any WAV files "associated" with those
>photos -- that is, the audio clip that he added to the photo at the
>time.
>
>*** Is there any software that will do this? ***
>
>I checked Ulead CD & DVD Picture Show and it lets you easily build a
>slideshow and associate sound files to picture files. It is perfect
>for me, but too advanced for this 60-something user.
>
>I need software where you can dump all the photos and audio and press
>Start Slideshow. Suggestions?

Thumper

> ACDSee 6 will let you do that.
> You can add audio annotation to image files, which will play back during a
> slide show (which run automatically from any folder you like).
>
> www.acdsystems.com

I just installed ACDSee 6.0. Unfortunately, it makes a distinction
between associated audio files and embedded audio.

For instance, my JPG file and WAV file from my digital camera have the
same exact filename (except for the extension). ACDSee lets me
open/view the JPG file and I am able to launch the audio by clicking
the speaker icon on the top control bar. BUT when I launch the
slideshow, it does not play the WAV file when the associated JPG is
displayed.

ACDSee will only play audio that is "embedded" in the JPG. So, you
were correct in what you suggested. The trouble is that I don't want
to embed every JPG with the WAV file. I want ACDSee to load the
"associated" WAV instead.

Thumper

> MyAlbum does that. Their demo files include an example.
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/myalbum/

I installed this software and tested it. But when creating a
slideshow, it doesn't even let you import WAV files -- let alone
associate those WAV files to certain JPG images.

Thanks anyway. The search continues...

Ralph

Sorry Thumper, but it does.
Play the demo file and you will here a camera sound when the camera picture
is displayed.
Follow the instructions for the "Play command" in the Help menu under Index.
Create your album and add the photos to it.
Select the photo you want to add the sound to and press F7.
Add something like "wav|D:\TMP\Thunder.wav" to the Play box in the right
hand column, next to the URL box.
Click Ok and then play the album.
It works for me.

--
remove n u m b e r s to reply
Thumper wrote in message
<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> MyAlbum does that. Their demo files include an example.
>> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/myalbum/

>I installed this software and tested it. But when creating a
>slideshow, it doesn't even let you import WAV files -- let alone
>associate those WAV files to certain JPG images.
>
>Thanks anyway. The search continues...

Paolo Pizzi

Thumper wrote:

>> MyAlbum does that. Their demo files include an example.
>> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/myalbum/

> I installed this software and tested it. But when creating a
> slideshow, it doesn't even let you import WAV files -- let alone
> associate those WAV files to certain JPG images.
>
> Thanks anyway. The search continues...

Have you tried "Memories on TV"?

Mark M

"Thumper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > ACDSee 6 will let you do that.
> > You can add audio annotation to image files, which will play back during

> > slide show (which run automatically from any folder you like).
> >
> > www.acdsystems.com

> I just installed ACDSee 6.0. Unfortunately, it makes a distinction
> between associated audio files and embedded audio.
>
> For instance, my JPG file and WAV file from my digital camera have the
> same exact filename (except for the extension). ACDSee lets me
> open/view the JPG file and I am able to launch the audio by clicking
> the speaker icon on the top control bar. BUT when I launch the
> slideshow, it does not play the WAV file when the associated JPG is
> displayed.
>
> ACDSee will only play audio that is "embedded" in the JPG. So, you
> were correct in what you suggested. The trouble is that I don't want
> to embed every JPG with the WAV file. I want ACDSee to load the
> "associated" WAV instead.

Ah. I see what you mean now.
With ACDSee, you can actually ADD wave files that WILL be associated with
the image (and played back automatically with that file in a slide show in
ACDSee), but you must record it from within ACDSee. Would this still help?
Or perhaps you are only interested in playing what you spoke when the
picture was being taken...

Mark M

"Thumper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > ACDSee 6 will let you do that.
> > You can add audio annotation to image files, which will play back during

> > slide show (which run automatically from any folder you like).
> >
> > www.acdsystems.com

> I just installed ACDSee 6.0. Unfortunately, it makes a distinction
> between associated audio files and embedded audio.
>
> For instance, my JPG file and WAV file from my digital camera have the
> same exact filename (except for the extension). ACDSee lets me
> open/view the JPG file and I am able to launch the audio by clicking
> the speaker icon on the top control bar. BUT when I launch the
> slideshow, it does not play the WAV file when the associated JPG is
> displayed.
>
> ACDSee will only play audio that is "embedded" in the JPG. So, you
> were correct in what you suggested. The trouble is that I don't want
> to embed every JPG with the WAV file. I want ACDSee to load the
> "associated" WAV instead.

I just checked, and it CAN do what you desire.
It will even let you edit the wave file (if you ramble too much, or have a
large pause at teh beginning)
Here's a portion I copied from teh help file:
To add audio to an image:
1.. Do one of the following:

a.. Select an image in the Browser.

b.. Open an image in the Viewer.

2.. Click Tools | Image Audio | Edit.

3.. In the Edit Audio dialog box, click the Browse button.

4.. Select a WAV file and click Save.

5.. If you would like to truncate or clip the audio file, select the Use
markers check box, and drag the Start marker and End marker sliders. Do one
of the following.

a.. Click the Truncate button to remove the beginning and end of the
audio file (the area outside of the start and end markers).

b.. Click the Clip button to remove a section of the audio file (the
area inside the start and end markers).

6.. To hear a preview of the file, click the Play button.

7.. Click OK.

Thumper

Hi again. I appreciate your taking the time to check this for me. I
actually did do exactly what you described and you are right... it
does work.

But the process you describe "embeds" WAV files into JPG files. When
you embed it, then, yes, the audio will play during the slideshow.

But this involves some work and is beyond the technical abilities of
my 60-something user.

Again, ACDSee makes a distinction between "embedded" audio and
"associated" audio. So, it won't play audio WAV files that have the
same name and are in the same directory as the JPGs.

Thanks for your help.