Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Slide Scanners

Slide Scanners

Ralph K. Compton

Looking to get a 35mm slide scanner and would like to know about any
positive or negative experiences with the latest scanners from Nikon and
Minolta. Have a few hundred slides and would like to get them onto DVD
and then retire my old slide projector.

zbzbzb

>Looking to get a 35mm slide scanner and would like to know about any
>positive or negative experiences with the latest scanners from Nikon and
>Minolta. Have a few hundred slides and would like to get them onto DVD
>and then retire my old slide projector.

Buy a used scanner like a Nikon LS-30 (not the latest model of course but more
than good enough) and then sell it afterwards.

Ralph K. Compton

That's sort of what I had in mind, with the addition that I have a buddy
that also wants to do this so the overall cost to me would be half.

I am impressed with the ICE technology and feel it would be worthwhile as
many of my slides are, well, in less than perfect condition.

zbzbzb

> I am impressed with the ICE technology and feel it would be worthwhile as
>many of my slides are, well, in less than perfect condition.

Absolutely necessary. Touching up manually is not pratical for large numbers or
very ditry film. Go easy by using the lowest setting though as it will
slightly soften the image. Canon's version when used with Vuescan doesn't
appear to harm the image at all. I think the inexpensive LS-30 would be best
overall.

Ralph K. Compton

Thanks, appreciate the information

zbzbzb

>The Braun 3600 can do up to 100 slides automatically.

No ICE though, right?

Bob Salomon

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

zbzbzb

>> >The Braun 3600 can do up to 100 slides automatically.
>>
>> No ICE though, right?

>Nope,
>
>But fully automatic operation unattended for up to any mix of
>glass/glassless/plastic or paper mounts instead.

You would lose much more time than you saved trying to touch up every frame of
film.

Bob Salomon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)bzbzb (zbzbzb) wrote:

> >The Braun 3600 can do up to 100 slides automatically.

> No ICE though, right?

Nope,

But fully automatic operation unattended for up to any mix of
glass/glassless/plastic or paper mounts instead.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Robert Feinman

In article <gA3cc.16044$(E-Mail Removed) k.net>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Looking to get a 35mm slide scanner and would like to know about any
> positive or negative experiences with the latest scanners from Nikon and
> Minolta. Have a few hundred slides and would like to get them onto DVD
> and then retire my old slide projector.

What are you planning to do with the scanned images? View them on
a TV or computer screen?
If so, then you won't really need much more than 800x1000 pixels.
Not much of a stretch for any current scanner.

--
Robert D Feinman
http://robertdfeinman.com