Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Using Sharpen in Canon File Viewer Utility

Using Sharpen in Canon File Viewer Utility

Gavin Metcalfe

I have taken quite a few images in RAW format and am trying to adjust the
shapness of them in the FIle Viewer Utility, but all I can do is change the
White Ballance and the Shot Settings. The other options including sharpness
are greyed out, can anybody tell me how to use these settings.

Gav

Gman

Check your preferences and make sure the model number of your camera is set
correctly. If "common processing" is selected then you won't be able to
manipulate the image with sharpening, color tone etc...

Gavin Metcalfe wrote:
> I have taken quite a few images in RAW format and am trying to adjust the
> shapness of them in the FIle Viewer Utility, but all I can do is change the
> White Ballance and the Shot Settings. The other options including sharpness
> are greyed out, can anybody tell me how to use these settings.
>
> Gav

Gavin Metcalfe

It is set correctly, Canon S50. If common processing is selected I don't see
any of the options. Problem is they are all visable but only White Ballance
& Photo effect are enabled. Looked in manuals but seems there is very little
information (half a page) on these settings.

Gav

"Gman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Check your preferences and make sure the model number of your camera is

set
> correctly. If "common processing" is selected then you won't be able to
> manipulate the image with sharpening, color tone etc...
>
> Gavin Metcalfe wrote:
> > I have taken quite a few images in RAW format and am trying to adjust

the
> > shapness of them in the FIle Viewer Utility, but all I can do is change

the
> > White Ballance and the Shot Settings. The other options including

sharpness
> > are greyed out, can anybody tell me how to use these settings.
> >
> > Gav

Gman

You've got to have a raw image selected in order to have the options active. If
you're doing all that then I don't have an answer for you. The most recent
version of the software is 1.3.2. The update is available on Canons site.

Gavin Metcalfe wrote:
> It is set correctly, Canon S50. If common processing is selected I don't see
> any of the options. Problem is they are all visable but only White Ballance
> & Photo effect are enabled. Looked in manuals but seems there is very little
> information (half a page) on these settings.
>
> Gav
>
> "Gman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>Check your preferences and make sure the model number of your camera is

> set
>
>>correctly. If "common processing" is selected then you won't be able to
>>manipulate the image with sharpening, color tone etc...
>>
>>Gavin Metcalfe wrote:
>>
>>>I have taken quite a few images in RAW format and am trying to adjust

> the
>
>>>shapness of them in the FIle Viewer Utility, but all I can do is change

> the
>
>>>White Ballance and the Shot Settings. The other options including

> sharpness
>
>>>are greyed out, can anybody tell me how to use these settings.
>>>
>>>Gav

Gavin Metcalfe

Fair enough mate, must admit I've tried everything I can think of, even
resorted to reading the manual. I'll download and try the new version,
thanks for your efforts.

> You've got to have a raw image selected in order to have the options

active. If
> you're doing all that then I don't have an answer for you. The most

recent
> version of the software is 1.3.2. The update is available on Canons site.
>
> Gavin Metcalfe wrote:
> > It is set correctly, Canon S50. If common processing is selected I don't

see
> > any of the options. Problem is they are all visable but only White

Ballance
> > & Photo effect are enabled. Looked in manuals but seems there is very

little
> > information (half a page) on these settings.
> >
> > Gav
> >
> > "Gman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> >>Check your preferences and make sure the model number of your camera is

> > set
> >
> >>correctly. If "common processing" is selected then you won't be able to
> >>manipulate the image with sharpening, color tone etc...

> > the

> > the

> > sharpness

Gavin Metcalfe

Nice one, installed the new version. Now I know why it didn't work for me.
You have to have one of the other options set to custom to use them. The new
version actually tells you why you can't use them, which is helpfull. )