Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Start of Daylight Time: Have you changed your camera clocks?

Start of Daylight Time: Have you changed your camera clocks?

Gary Edstrom

For those of you who like to have correct time stamps on your pictures,
remember to set the clock in your still and/or video camera to the
correct time.

Other clocks to consider:

VCR - Car - Cell Phone - PDA - Microwave - Watch - FAX
Air Conditioning Thermostat

Gary

P.S: 1. Yes, I know that I could keep my camera on GMT so that I would
never have to adjust it, but it's too much of a hassle to mentally
convert GMT to local time every time I look at the picture. 2. Yes, I
now that daylight time is a dumb idea, but what are you going to do? We
have it here!

--
Gary Edstrom <(E-Mail Removed)>
Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway

Dave Head

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 13:42:30 GMT, Gary Edstrom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>For those of you who like to have correct time stamps on your pictures,
>remember to set the clock in your still and/or video camera to the
>correct time.
>
>Other clocks to consider:
>
>VCR - Car - Cell Phone - PDA - Microwave - Watch - FAX
>Air Conditioning Thermostat
>
>Gary
>
>P.S: 1. Yes, I know that I could keep my camera on GMT so that I would
>never have to adjust it, but it's too much of a hassle to mentally
>convert GMT to local time every time I look at the picture. 2. Yes, I
>now that daylight time is a dumb idea, but what are you going to do? We
>have it here!

Yes, my camera needed corrected. Computer, VCR did not. As for the microwave
and VCR, I don't even bother to try to keep them on time because here, in rural
Virginia, the power goes off so often, all you get done is resetting the dang
clocks. The microwave, one VCR, and the stereo CD burner don't have battery
backup. They are left to blink. I tried to do a 1 week "burn in" of a
computer I suspected of having a memory problem, started Sunday, and sure
enough, sometime Tuesday afternoon, the power went out and the computer died.
Gave up on the burning-in idea. That computer seems to work fine, tho.

Dumb idea? Hell no - I now get another hour of daylight after work to mow the
lawn, build things outside (usually having to do with ham radio antennas,
towers, etc.) and TAKE PICTURES. Its surprising how difficult it is to take
pictures outside after the sun sets!!! <G> With that extra hour, it is "worth
it" to jump in the car, go somewhere that something interesting or pretty is
happening or is present, and take a picture. In the winter, without DST, you
jump in the car, get to wherever it is, and have 1/2 hour of mostly red
sunlight before you can't snap any more.

DST is the best thing to happen to America since the constitution. Not a dumb
idea at all.

Dave Head

Jerry

Thank you, I just changed mine had you not reminded me I might have forgot.

Jerry

David J Taylor

"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lwWbc.15509$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> Thank you, I just changed mine had you not reminded me I might have

forgot.

> Jerry

You guys are a week behind! The rest of the world changed at the end of
March!

(Well, at least Europe did.....)

David

Jeremy

"Gary Edstrom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Other clocks to consider:
>
> VCR - Car - Cell Phone - PDA - Microwave - Watch - FAX
> Air Conditioning Thermostat

PS:

Don't forget coffeemakers, for those of us that like our coffee made
automatically every morning! Also, change any closks on your stoves/ovens

Excellent post. Thanks for the tips.

Zebedee

"Jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gBXbc.11778$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> PS:
>
> Don't forget coffeemakers, for those of us that like our coffee made
> automatically every morning! Also, change any closks on your stoves/ovens
>
> Excellent post. Thanks for the tips.

Most digital cameras need the clock to be set every time the battery is
changed. My 3100 and 995 both do.

And don't forget the toaster. You don't want your toast an hour late

--
Yours

Zebedee

(Claiming asylum in an attempt
to escape paying his debts to
Dougal and Florence)

Don

Or move to Arizona.

Don

"Gary Edstrom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> For those of you who like to have correct time stamps on your pictures,
> remember to set the clock in your still and/or video camera to the
> correct time.
>
> Other clocks to consider:
>
> VCR - Car - Cell Phone - PDA - Microwave - Watch - FAX
> Air Conditioning Thermostat
>
> Gary
>
> P.S: 1. Yes, I know that I could keep my camera on GMT so that I would
> never have to adjust it, but it's too much of a hassle to mentally
> convert GMT to local time every time I look at the picture. 2. Yes, I
> now that daylight time is a dumb idea, but what are you going to do? We
> have it here!
>
> --
> Gary Edstrom <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway
> Are you still here? The message is over. Shoo! Go away!
> The above tagline is number 41 in a series of 547. Collect them all!

Dmitri Shvetsov

Hi Don,

There is another problem in Arizona...) I'm already here and my camera
changes summer/winter time automatically...)

Dmitri.

Chris

"Gary Edstrom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> For those of you who like to have correct time stamps on your pictures,
> remember to set the clock in your still and/or video camera to the
> correct time.
>
> Other clocks to consider:
>
> VCR - Car - Cell Phone - PDA - Microwave - Watch - FAX
> Air Conditioning Thermostat
>
> Gary
>
> P.S: 1. Yes, I know that I could keep my camera on GMT so that I would
> never have to adjust it, but it's too much of a hassle to mentally
> convert GMT to local time every time I look at the picture. 2. Yes, I
> now that daylight time is a dumb idea, but what are you going to do? We
> have it here!

I almost never touch my camera clock, unless I've actually got a time stamp
to imbed.

dc

I changed the time stamp for my camcorder WHILE videotaping, so my videotape
would last 60 minutes longer!

Doug
Oakland, CA

---