Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Copying Photos @ WalMart

Copying Photos @ WalMart

Neil Brown

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lisa Horton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Samuel wrote:
> >
> > How do I print a photo that cannot be copied with the machines at WalMart
> > like the Professional prints from photographer? Does the software detect a
> > watermark on image or is there a something on the back of the paper?
> > TIA

> Do you understand that by copying a photographer's photos without his
> permission you are stealing from him?
>
> You could always buy "copies" from the original photographer, yes?
>
> Lisa

Walmart, if they spot you copying "professional" looking photos are
"supposed" to stop you.

I had to sign a release to make my own digital prints there a few weeks
back and the manager was quite adamant they were on the ball about
copyright issues etc. I actually didnt care if people want to copy the
pics in this instance but i got a laugh at being made to "sign of" on my
own work!

Neil

chibitul

In article <c4noh9$2jmqq7$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
"Bob Hatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Samuel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > How do I print a photo that cannot be copied with the machines at
> > WalMart like the Professional prints from photographer? Does the
> > software detect a watermark on image or is there a something on the
> > back of the paper?
> > TIA
> > Samuel

> How do you shoplift while you are there?

what are you smoking dude?

Jerry

Password Protect your Pictures/Photo's.
That's all you have to do.
Good Luck,

Jerry

Sampson

"Lisa Horton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Samuel wrote:
> >
> > "Bob Hatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:c4noh9$2jmqq7$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > > "Samuel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > >
> > > How do you shoplift while you are there?
> > > --
> > > "Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
> > > this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke
> > > http://www.bobhatch.com
> > >

> > No NO NO...I want to make MY photos so they will be like the ones that
> > cannot be coppied. I am sorry I did not make myself clear....

> You might check into "digital watermarking", although I don't know if
> this is what you're looking for, or will do what you want.
>
> Lisa

Thanks Lisa. I have been reading much about this, Google is a very close
friend, but I have not yet found anything about the issue at hand. Mostly
about protection from the web and tracking photo software. Very interesting
how some can not be detected or removed. I am interested in how they could
be read by software from a scanner. I am sure there is an answer somewhere.

Sam

Sampson

"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ePMbc.14055$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> Password Protect your Pictures/Photo's.
> That's all you have to do.
> Good Luck,
>
> Jerry

Ahhh sounds easy then. Is this an option in PS or PSP?

Sam

chibitul

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lisa Horton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Samuel wrote:
> >
> > How do I print a photo that cannot be copied with the machines at WalMart
> > like the Professional prints from photographer? Does the software detect a
> > watermark on image or is there a something on the back of the paper?
> > TIA

> Do you understand that by copying a photographer's photos without his
> permission you are stealing from him?
>
> You could always buy "copies" from the original photographer, yes?
>
> Lisa

Dear Lisa,

I've read many of your posts and I respect your opinion as a
photographer. I enjoyed reading your PMA report from Vegas a few months
ago, but...

My understanding on the issue is the following (and please note that
English is not my native language):

He wants to print (AT HOME ?) a photograph HE took, so that it cannot be
copied with the machines at WalMart. In other words he is interested in
PROTECTING his OWN work, not stealing someone else's work. At least that
is how I saw it the first time I read the post.

Ever heard of "innocent until proven guilty" concept?

I do admit though that after reading your post (and a few other similar
ones), I went back and read the original post so many times until I
understand that the meaning can be interpreted the other way around.
It's like a slippery slope that once you start one way (or another) you
can finish reading without finding a conflict in the message. I guess
it's like one of those weird pictures that some people see backwards
(you know what I mean, those optical illusions).

Anyway, don't cast the first stone until you understand why you're
throwing stones at him...

regards,
chibitul

Joseph Meehan

Samuel wrote:
> "Bob Hatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c4noh9$2jmqq7$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> "Samuel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> How do I print a photo that cannot be copied with the machines at
>>> WalMart like the Professional prints from photographer? Does the
>>> software detect a watermark on image or is there a something on the
>>> back of the paper?
>>> TIA
>>> Samuel

>> How do you shoplift while you are there?
>> --
>> "Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
>> this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J.
>> O'Rourke http://www.bobhatch.com
>>

> No NO NO...I want to make MY photos so they will be like the ones
> that cannot be coppied. I am sorry I did not make myself clear....

Good. Sorry I don't know as I have very little that anyone would want
to bother copying.

We see far too many people who want to ignore copyrights. We tend to
react based on experience.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Ron Hunter

Samuel wrote:

> "Bob Hatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c4nq12$2lrdk1$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>
>>"Samuel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>>> No NO NO...I want to make MY photos so they will be like the ones
>>>that cannot be coppied. I am sorry I did not make myself clear....

>>Sorry, but your post looked like what we thought it was.
>>
>>For a short period of time Kodak put out a paper that had yellow dots that
>>were supposed to be invisible to the consumer but would be seen by the
>>machine. It turned out that about 10% of the population could see the

> yellow
>
>>dots, so the concept didn't work. They discontinued the paper. I don't

> know
>
>>that there is any technology that will stop the machine at this point.
>>AFAIK, it is up to the staff at the counter to disable the machine if they
>>suspect that the customer is copying a professional photo.
>>--
>>"Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
>>this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke
>>http://www.bobhatch.com
>>

> Well, I was told at a small local photoshop that the Walmart machines(and
> others) had some technology to I tried a test of a 8x10 class photo of a
> friend and the machine did detect that the photo was protected. It then
> asked for a password that would permit the copy to be made. I am wondering
> what data it looks for as it needed a password from the store clerk to start
> the machine in the first place. Some sort of code within the photo I am
> guessing. Of coarse the photo can be copied on my scanner as any other
> photo. I was unaware of this scheme and find it interesting and would enjoy
> adding this to my own printed pics. Just how effective it would be is
> curious as I wonder how many people don't have a computer and a scanner.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Sam

Check Google for 'steganography'.
Not sure this what they use, but it seems likely.

Sampson

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Samuel wrote:
>
> > "Bob Hatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:c4nq12$2lrdk1$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> >
> >>"Samuel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >>Sorry, but your post looked like what we thought it was.
> >>
> >>For a short period of time Kodak put out a paper that had yellow dots

that
> >>were supposed to be invisible to the consumer but would be seen by the
> >>machine. It turned out that about 10% of the population could see the

> > yellow
> >
> >>dots, so the concept didn't work. They discontinued the paper. I don't

> > know
> >
> >>that there is any technology that will stop the machine at this point.
> >>AFAIK, it is up to the staff at the counter to disable the machine if

they
> >>suspect that the customer is copying a professional photo.
> >>--
> >>"Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
> >>this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke
> >>http://www.bobhatch.com
> >>

> > Well, I was told at a small local photoshop that the Walmart

machines(and
> > others) had some technology to I tried a test of a 8x10 class photo of a
> > friend and the machine did detect that the photo was protected. It then
> > asked for a password that would permit the copy to be made. I am

wondering
> > what data it looks for as it needed a password from the store clerk to

start
> > the machine in the first place. Some sort of code within the photo I am
> > guessing. Of coarse the photo can be copied on my scanner as any other
> > photo. I was unaware of this scheme and find it interesting and would

enjoy
> > adding this to my own printed pics. Just how effective it would be is
> > curious as I wonder how many people don't have a computer and a scanner.
> >
> > Thanks for the reply.
> >
> > Sam
> >

> Check Google for 'steganography'.
> Not sure this what they use, but it seems likely.

This came up many times in my searches but more of everything but the
process I am looking for. Thanks

Sampson

"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JvRbc.443$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Samuel wrote:
> > "Bob Hatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:c4noh9$2jmqq7$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> >> "Samuel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>
> >> How do you shoplift while you are there?
> >> --
> >> "Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
> >> this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J.
> >> O'Rourke http://www.bobhatch.com
> >>

> > No NO NO...I want to make MY photos so they will be like the ones
> > that cannot be coppied. I am sorry I did not make myself clear....

> Good. Sorry I don't know as I have very little that anyone would want
> to bother copying.
>
> We see far too many people who want to ignore copyrights. We tend to
> react based on experience.
>
> --
> Joseph E. Meehan
>
> 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Ya. I know that for sure. I have been in more than enough battles of the
rights and wrongs that issue.

Thanks