Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Life time of Inkjet cartridges.

Life time of Inkjet cartridges.

James Silverton

I am in the middle of deciding on an inkjet printer for my own
photographs. The topics of color accuracy and cost seem to be well
covered but it occurs to me that my use of the printer would be
intermittent. There would probably be periods of weeks when the
printer would not be in use since I use a laser printer for textual
work. Does anyone have any experience of how long opened ink
cartridges last while not actually being used?

TIA,

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Lucas Tam

"James Silverton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:406efa36$0
$3055$(E-Mail Removed):

> Does anyone have any experience of how long opened ink
> cartridges last while not actually being used?

I have a printer which I use occasionally and the cartridge on the printer
lasts for approximately 1 - 1.5 years! I had my printer sit in storage for
4 - 5 months at a time (and in sub-zero temperatures too!).

Life span depends on many factors like the temperature and humidity in your
area.

Clogging is more of an issue but again this is dependent on climate. I live
in Toronto which is relatively dry and had never had any issues with
clogging on my printer.

--
Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))

Jay Bollyn

"James Silverton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:406efa36$0$3055$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am in the middle of deciding on an inkjet printer for my own
> photographs. The topics of color accuracy and cost seem to be well
> covered but it occurs to me that my use of the printer would be
> intermittent. There would probably be periods of weeks when the
> printer would not be in use since I use a laser printer for textual
> work. Does anyone have any experience of how long opened ink
> cartridges last while not actually being used?
> TIA,
> --
> James V. Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland, USA

James,

I agree with Lucas' earlier comments.

In addition, the most important factor regarding intermittent ink jet use is
to be absolutely sure to power the printer off STRICTLY by pressing the
power-off button on the printer itself. Never by some other means such as a
power strip. This is because cheaper ink jets seal the ink cartridges ONLY
when the printer power-off button is pressed.

More expensive ink jets often seal the ink cartridges when not in use, so
pressing the printer power-off button is not so critical, but it is a good
habit to get into anyway.

You might want to check with the group when you have tentatively decided on
your mfr/model, for a final thumbs up/down.

-- Jay

chibitul

In article <406efa36$0$3055$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"James Silverton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am in the middle of deciding on an inkjet printer for my own
> photographs. The topics of color accuracy and cost seem to be well
> covered but it occurs to me that my use of the printer would be
> intermittent. There would probably be periods of weeks when the
> printer would not be in use since I use a laser printer for textual
> work. Does anyone have any experience of how long opened ink
> cartridges last while not actually being used?
>
> TIA,

one piece of advice based only on my own personal experience (although
there are plenty of people claiming the opposite

Stay away from Epson. They use a piezzo nozzle which seems to clog way
too often. This was my experience with Epson Stylus 740, OEM cartridges,
used just like you say, every now and then. I had to clean it so often
that I decided to try 3-rd party cartridges (couldn't afort the EPSON
ones) and now I use windex to unclog it. I am considering a Canon 960,
since I heard good things about it, and many owners swear that their
Canons don't clog... Epson had it's chance with me, now I will give
Canon a try...

jean

"chibitul" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article <406efa36$0$3055$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "James Silverton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I am in the middle of deciding on an inkjet printer for my own
> > photographs. The topics of color accuracy and cost seem to be well
> > covered but it occurs to me that my use of the printer would be
> > intermittent. There would probably be periods of weeks when the
> > printer would not be in use since I use a laser printer for textual
> > work. Does anyone have any experience of how long opened ink
> > cartridges last while not actually being used?
> >
> > TIA,

> one piece of advice based only on my own personal experience (although
> there are plenty of people claiming the opposite
>
> Stay away from Epson. They use a piezzo nozzle which seems to clog way
> too often. This was my experience with Epson Stylus 740, OEM cartridges,
> used just like you say, every now and then. I had to clean it so often
> that I decided to try 3-rd party cartridges (couldn't afort the EPSON
> ones) and now I use windex to unclog it. I am considering a Canon 960,
> since I heard good things about it, and many owners swear that their
> Canons don't clog... Epson had it's chance with me, now I will give
> Canon a try...

(sorry for shouting but...)

*** DON'T EVER USE WINDEX TO CLEAN CANON PRINTHEADS ***

I ruined my BJC-8200's head by dunking it in windex. Now I just dunk it in
demineralized water and that does the job.

Also for soem strange reason, I have no problem refilling all the color
cartriges with my i950 but for the black ones, only new cartriges will work.
I have purchased two different formulas but the black still clogs.

Jean

chibitul

In article <1oLbc.3388$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"jean" <look_for@my_email.org> wrote:

> "chibitul" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > In article <406efa36$0$3055$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "James Silverton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > I am in the middle of deciding on an inkjet printer for my own
> > > photographs. The topics of color accuracy and cost seem to be well
> > > covered but it occurs to me that my use of the printer would be
> > > intermittent. There would probably be periods of weeks when the
> > > printer would not be in use since I use a laser printer for textual
> > > work. Does anyone have any experience of how long opened ink
> > > cartridges last while not actually being used?
> > >
> > > TIA,

> > one piece of advice based only on my own personal experience (although
> > there are plenty of people claiming the opposite
> >
> > Stay away from Epson. They use a piezzo nozzle which seems to clog way
> > too often. This was my experience with Epson Stylus 740, OEM cartridges,
> > used just like you say, every now and then. I had to clean it so often
> > that I decided to try 3-rd party cartridges (couldn't afort the EPSON
> > ones) and now I use windex to unclog it. I am considering a Canon 960,
> > since I heard good things about it, and many owners swear that their
> > Canons don't clog... Epson had it's chance with me, now I will give
> > Canon a try...

> (sorry for shouting but...)
>
> *** DON'T EVER USE WINDEX TO CLEAN CANON PRINTHEADS ***

*** NO PROBLEM, SHOUT AS LOUD AS YOU WANT, THIS IS USENET***

> I ruined my BJC-8200's head by dunking it in windex. Now I just dunk it in
> demineralized water and that does the job.

I said *Epson*, but I was not aware about this problem with Canon heads.
Thanks for shouting. From I have read at steves digicams, the head of
Canon 860 (and maybe, maybe 960) is detachable, so cleaning in water
shouldbe very easy (unlike Epson 740, where youhave to take the entire
printer apart)

just curious, what did you do after "ruining" the head? did you buy
another head or another printer? cause if it's the same head, it's not
really ruined, is it?

> Also for soem strange reason, I have no problem refilling all the color
> cartriges with my i950 but for the black ones, only new cartriges will work.
> I have purchased two different formulas but the black still clogs.
>
> Jean

Clyde

chibitul wrote:
> In article <406efa36$0$3055$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "James Silverton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I am in the middle of deciding on an inkjet printer for my own
>>photographs. The topics of color accuracy and cost seem to be well
>>covered but it occurs to me that my use of the printer would be
>>intermittent. There would probably be periods of weeks when the
>>printer would not be in use since I use a laser printer for textual
>>work. Does anyone have any experience of how long opened ink
>>cartridges last while not actually being used?
>>
>>TIA,

> one piece of advice based only on my own personal experience (although
> there are plenty of people claiming the opposite
>
> Stay away from Epson. They use a piezzo nozzle which seems to clog way
> too often. This was my experience with Epson Stylus 740, OEM cartridges,
> used just like you say, every now and then. I had to clean it so often
> that I decided to try 3-rd party cartridges (couldn't afort the EPSON
> ones) and now I use windex to unclog it. I am considering a Canon 960,
> since I heard good things about it, and many owners swear that their
> Canons don't clog... Epson had it's chance with me, now I will give
> Canon a try...

My Epson 870 doesn't clog. I leave it on all the time and it just
doesn't clog. Sometimes I print a lot, other times I can go weeks
between printing.

Clyde

jean

> > I ruined my BJC-8200's head by dunking it in windex. Now I just dunk it
in
> > demineralized water and that does the job.

> I said *Epson*, but I was not aware about this problem with Canon heads.
> Thanks for shouting. From I have read at steves digicams, the head of
> Canon 860 (and maybe, maybe 960) is detachable, so cleaning in water
> shouldbe very easy (unlike Epson 740, where youhave to take the entire
> printer apart)
>
> just curious, what did you do after "ruining" the head? did you buy
> another head or another printer? cause if it's the same head, it's not
> really ruined, is it?

A new head was close to $200 and a new printer with twice the resolution
only $100 more, easy decision to make. The 8200's head is a completely
different design than the i950 sad to say no parts were interchangeable.
Windex has all kinds of chemicals in it and I guess some of them etched the
litthe jets bigger and the printer could not print any small detail, the
print looked fuzzy.

Live and learn

Jean

Marvin Margoshes

"James Silverton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:406efa36$0$3055$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am in the middle of deciding on an inkjet printer for my own
> photographs. The topics of color accuracy and cost seem to be well
> covered but it occurs to me that my use of the printer would be
> intermittent. There would probably be periods of weeks when the
> printer would not be in use since I use a laser printer for textual
> work. Does anyone have any experience of how long opened ink
> cartridges last while not actually being used?
>
> TIA,
>

> --
> James V. Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland, USA

The HP printers are very good in that respect. On occasion, if the printer
sits unused for a VERY long time, you can take out the cartridges and put
the printheads in a shallow water pan for a few minutes, then run a test
print. Most printers have the printhead separate form the cartridge, and
not accessible for cleaning when they plug up.

My HP printer does a superior job of text printing also.