Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > slideshow software to allow choosing from multiple slideshows

slideshow software to allow choosing from multiple slideshows

Nick Harrison

Hi,
Hope this is the right place for this.
I want to set up a computer at school to display different directories
of digital images showing photos of different school events.
It could use a browser or be a stand alone application.
I would like it to create/have a menu screen such that people click on
an icon/title and this activates a slideshow of images in that
directory. At the end of the slideshow it reverts back to the menu
screen.
Options to change slideshow interval would be nice and possible
transition effects though the latter is less important.
I only need it to run locally from the hard disk at the moment.
Anyone know of such software? Freeware would be nice!
OS Mixed Windows 98SE Windows 2000
Regards,
Nick

Nick Harrison Lancaster UK

Stan Prevost

I believe ProShow will do what you want.

http://www.photodex.com/products/proshow/

"Nick Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> Hope this is the right place for this.
> I want to set up a computer at school to display different directories
> of digital images showing photos of different school events.
> It could use a browser or be a stand alone application.
> I would like it to create/have a menu screen such that people click on
> an icon/title and this activates a slideshow of images in that
> directory. At the end of the slideshow it reverts back to the menu
> screen.
> Options to change slideshow interval would be nice and possible
> transition effects though the latter is less important.
> I only need it to run locally from the hard disk at the moment.
> Anyone know of such software? Freeware would be nice!
> OS Mixed Windows 98SE Windows 2000
> Regards,
> Nick
>
> Nick Harrison Lancaster UK

Bill

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 13:13:26 +0100, Nick Harrison
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>Hope this is the right place for this.
>I want to set up a computer at school to display different directories
>of digital images showing photos of different school events.
>It could use a browser or be a stand alone application.
>I would like it to create/have a menu screen such that people click on
>an icon/title and this activates a slideshow of images in that
>directory. At the end of the slideshow it reverts back to the menu
>screen.
>Options to change slideshow interval would be nice and possible
>transition effects though the latter is less important.
>I only need it to run locally from the hard disk at the moment.
>Anyone know of such software? Freeware would be nice!
>OS Mixed Windows 98SE Windows 2000
>Regards,
>Nick
>
>Nick Harrison Lancaster UK

Try posting to alt.comp.freeware. I'd be surprised if you didn't turn
up a couple of alternatives.

HTH
Bill

Ahle Wutz

Take a look at ThumbsPlus, which is an extremely powerful image
handling, archiving and processing database:

http://jurgenlobert.net/art/samples/ThumbsPlus.jpg

One of the nicest features is the ability to create "galleries" with
images (actually shortcuts to the actual images) from different
folders, which can then be processed, sorted, annotated, viewed etc.

The button that looks like a slide in the top button bar, center-left
starts the slideshow (or press F, the interface resembles the
Explorer window with folders on the left, thumbnails on the right and
info for each file at the bottom.

You can download a trial or purchase it at www.cerious.com

AW

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>Hope this is the right place for this.
>I want to set up a computer at school to display different directories
>of digital images showing photos of different school events.
>It could use a browser or be a stand alone application.
>I would like it to create/have a menu screen such that people click on
>an icon/title and this activates a slideshow of images in that
>directory. At the end of the slideshow it reverts back to the menu
>screen.
>Options to change slideshow interval would be nice and possible
>transition effects though the latter is less important.
>I only need it to run locally from the hard disk at the moment.
>Anyone know of such software? Freeware would be nice!
>OS Mixed Windows 98SE Windows 2000
>Regards,
>Nick
>
>Nick Harrison Lancaster UK

JP

(remove second underscore to email)

Terry Orchard

Nick Harrison wrote:

>Hope this is the right place for this.
>I want to set up a computer at school to display different directories
>of digital images showing photos of different school events.
>It could use a browser or be a stand alone application.
>I would like it to create/have a menu screen such that people click on
>an icon/title and this activates a slideshow of images in that
>directory. At the end of the slideshow it reverts back to the menu
>screen.
>Options to change slideshow interval would be nice and possible
>transition effects though the latter is less important.
>I only need it to run locally from the hard disk at the moment.
>Anyone know of such software? Freeware would be nice!
>OS Mixed Windows 98SE Windows 2000

There are a number of good freeware solutions for this problem. Search
http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search in alt.comp.freeware and
you will turn up lots of suggestions. Or post in ACF and you'll get
lots of suggestions and opinions.

My recommendation would be JAblum (http://jalbum.net/), though I have
to admit this is largely because it's the tool I know, I haven't done
a comparison study.

JAlbum generates html slideshows, so you would use a browser as a
viewer. JAlbum can create multiple levels of slideshows, so the top
level would show one thumbnail for each show (which is in a
sub-folder), this serves as your "menu". There are lots of different
"skins" available, so you can customize how it looks (or you can
customize further and make your own skin).

You can specify the slideshow delay time in the skin "template" file.
There are also skins that provide for user-controlled delays (search
the JAlbum forum for details). You can also use transition effects
(assuming your browser supports them). You may have a little work to
do, creating a template that combines the various features you want
with the look-and-feel you like.

Another option would be to use Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com) to
create slideshows. Then use any menu program to provide the menu
system.

Terry

Darian Muresan

Nick,

You can also try Visere, a freware program I have developed. You can create
slideshows with variable timing options and you also have a few other very
nice features. Take a look at:

http://www.dmmd.net/products/visere_screenshots.htm

Also, any feedback would be greately appreciated.

Best,
Darian

"Nick Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> Hope this is the right place for this.
> I want to set up a computer at school to display different directories
> of digital images showing photos of different school events.
> It could use a browser or be a stand alone application.
> I would like it to create/have a menu screen such that people click on
> an icon/title and this activates a slideshow of images in that
> directory. At the end of the slideshow it reverts back to the menu
> screen.
> Options to change slideshow interval would be nice and possible
> transition effects though the latter is less important.
> I only need it to run locally from the hard disk at the moment.
> Anyone know of such software? Freeware would be nice!
> OS Mixed Windows 98SE Windows 2000
> Regards,
> Nick
>
> Nick Harrison Lancaster UK

Robert Strom

It sounds to me like you need a menu interface.

I use autoplay menu studio

You design the interface using any graphics you like. The buttons can
also be any image or graphic. Once the particualr show ends, it
reverts back to the main menu again.

Not free, but does exactly what you want, plus a whole lot more that
you may not find useful... right now (grin)

Robert Storm

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 08:22:58 -0600, "Stan Prevost"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I believe ProShow will do what you want.
>
>http://www.photodex.com/products/proshow/
>

>"Nick Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hi,
>> Hope this is the right place for this.
>> I want to set up a computer at school to display different directories
>> of digital images showing photos of different school events.
>> It could use a browser or be a stand alone application.
>> I would like it to create/have a menu screen such that people click on
>> an icon/title and this activates a slideshow of images in that
>> directory. At the end of the slideshow it reverts back to the menu
>> screen.
>> Options to change slideshow interval would be nice and possible
>> transition effects though the latter is less important.
>> I only need it to run locally from the hard disk at the moment.
>> Anyone know of such software? Freeware would be nice!
>> OS Mixed Windows 98SE Windows 2000
>> Regards,
>> Nick
>>
>> Nick Harrison Lancaster UK

Nick Harrison

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,

<snip> request for slideshow presenter with menu choice.
>Nick Harrison Lancaster UK

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Proshow doesn't support menus. Proshow Gold is fairly slick with
transitions but a bit expensive for me and not very flexible.
I already use IrfanView. Like it a lot and could set up menus for
standalone slideshows,. Hadn't thought of that!!
ThumbsPlus looks great but more than I need and a bit expensive for my
purpose.
JAlbum seems to be the one for me. Freeware but I'll have to get to
grips with HTML for a customised browser screen related to school logo
etc. That's an incentive to allocate time.
Not had time to try Visere but will give it a try.
Thanks again.
Regards,
Nick

Nick Harrison Lancaster UK