Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Let Irfanview Store Thumbnails on Disk

Let Irfanview Store Thumbnails on Disk

Tom

Hi there !

First of all - I hope to be right with this group, since IV seems to
be a big topic in here if one counts the google hits

My question: Is there any way to tell IrfanView to store the retrieved
Thumbnails on disk so it won't have to rebuild them every time I open
the thumbnail view ? I ask because even if IV is rather fast in
retrieving the thumbnails, it takes considerable time depending on how
many and how large pictures you have.

The funny thing is that I could not find anybody who was bugged by the
same question, which either means I am to dumb to find the correct
option or nobody has to deal with huge amounts of pictures.

Ok, thanks in advance for every hint on solving that problem - Tom

Dave

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Tom) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> [...]
> My question: Is there any way to tell IrfanView to store the retrieved
> Thumbnails on disk so it won't have to rebuild them every time I open
> the thumbnail view ? I ask because even if IV is rather fast in
> retrieving the thumbnails, it takes considerable time depending on how
> many and how large pictures you have.
>
> The funny thing is that I could not find anybody who was bugged by the
> same question, which either means I am to dumb to find the correct
> option or nobody has to deal with huge amounts of pictures.
>
> Ok, thanks in advance for every hint on solving that problem - Tom

I don't know if it is possible but I've had directories where
IrfanView hit some limit related to creating thumbnails and just
created some null symbol. Perhaps I didn't have enough free memory. It
would be nice to discuss the finer details of Irfanview because it is
such a nice program. My only personal gripe is that selected Exif
field can't be displayed by default.

Frank ess

Dave wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) (Tom) wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
>> [...]
>> My question: Is there any way to tell IrfanView to store the
>> retrieved
>> Thumbnails on disk so it won't have to rebuild them every time I open
>> the thumbnail view ? I ask because even if IV is rather fast in
>> retrieving the thumbnails, it takes considerable time depending on
>> how
>> many and how large pictures you have.
>>
>> The funny thing is that I could not find anybody who was bugged by
>> the
>> same question, which either means I am to dumb to find the correct
>> option or nobody has to deal with huge amounts of pictures.
>>
>> Ok, thanks in advance for every hint on solving that problem - Tom

> I don't know if it is possible but I've had directories where
> IrfanView hit some limit related to creating thumbnails and just
> created some null symbol. Perhaps I didn't have enough free memory. It
> would be nice to discuss the finer details of Irfanview because it is
> such a nice program. My only personal gripe is that selected Exif
> field can't be displayed by default.

It seems to me IrfanView creates a "cache" file in the directory, but that
if anything in there changes, it has to rebuild the whole thing. A waste of
space and time, I think, since it appears as if something changes every
time. I agree it's a problem, and would be interested in hearing if anyone
knows of a solution.

Frank ess

Darian Muresan

Tom,

I am also developing a free and fast image viewer. You can take a look at
some of the screen shots here:

http://www.dmmd.net/products/visere_screenshots.htm

In the current version (2.0.5) thumbnails are created on the fly each time
(although we do use downsampling reading which speeds up things) but in the
next version 2.0.6 Visere will have an option to save the thumbnails as
JPGs. Contact me off line if you like Visere and have some ideas on how to
better customize it for your needs.

Best,
Darian at dmmd dot net.

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...