Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Problem with Fuji software

Problem with Fuji software

Nathan Gutman

I got the FinePix S7000. When I tried install the software that came
with the camera it refused and demanded Windows 98.
I am still very happily running my computer on Windows 95 version
4.00.950 B. This version supports USB ports of which I have two.
I am very disappointed by this because many companies provide drivers
for Win95 as long as USB is supported. Fuji could have done that
easily too.
Is anyone else in my position?
Are there any cheap workarounds?
Nathan Gutman

David J Taylor

"Nathan Gutman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I got the FinePix S7000. When I tried install the software that came
> with the camera it refused and demanded Windows 98.
> I am still very happily running my computer on Windows 95 version
> 4.00.950 B. This version supports USB ports of which I have two.
> I am very disappointed by this because many companies provide drivers
> for Win95 as long as USB is supported. Fuji could have done that
> easily too.
> Is anyone else in my position?
> Are there any cheap workarounds?
> Nathan Gutman

Buy a card reader?

pjp

The basic problem is probably the guys writing the software decided that for
most pc's, a safe determination of having USB capabilities would be at least
98.

It's basically this - test for 98 or later in code is trivial OR test for
functioning USB for any OS is very non-trivial.

I've got 20 years experience coding and can write the first test without
even thinking about it (straight API call and test bits in result) where-as
I have no idea where to even start looking at how I'd determine if there was
a) USB installed and B) is it working properly. I imagine it'd take
enumerating through the registry looking for a specific "class" of hardware
devices etc. but who knows as nothing at that level in Windows is ever
straight forward

I suspect the folks are Fuji are in the same boat although I would think
they'd have greater insight given they've actually written a USB driver.

"Nathan Gutman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I got the FinePix S7000. When I tried install the software that came
> with the camera it refused and demanded Windows 98.
> I am still very happily running my computer on Windows 95 version
> 4.00.950 B. This version supports USB ports of which I have two.
> I am very disappointed by this because many companies provide drivers
> for Win95 as long as USB is supported. Fuji could have done that
> easily too.
> Is anyone else in my position?
> Are there any cheap workarounds?
> Nathan Gutman

Nathan Gutman

So what do I do now? Is there a siple way to upgrade just to Win98?
And card reader also need a Win98 driver.