Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > White LEDs for studio lighting?

White LEDs for studio lighting?

Lohkee

Does anyone have experience with, or thoughts about, the
practicality/suitability of using high wattage white LEDs for studio
lighting applications?

Thanks in advance,

Lohkee

Phil Stripling

"Lohkee" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Does anyone have experience with, or thoughts about, the
> practicality/suitability of using high wattage white LEDs for studio
> lighting applications?

I've cooked chicken in the dark by LED -- it's not a pretty sight. I
suspect the spectrum is completely wrong for photography, although it may
be possible to correct colors in software. You might do a search to see if
you can find the spectrum of white LEDs and see how that compares to
incandescent lamps and fluorescent lighting.

Mikey S.

You might want to check out this page
http://www.photoprojects.net/index8.html
I recalled seeing it a while back, the author has been experimenting with
LEDs in ringlights for macro work, he might have some information to share
on the topic.

--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

"Phil Stripling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Lohkee" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > Does anyone have experience with, or thoughts about, the
> > practicality/suitability of using high wattage white LEDs for studio
> > lighting applications?

> I've cooked chicken in the dark by LED -- it's not a pretty sight. I
> suspect the spectrum is completely wrong for photography, although it may
> be possible to correct colors in software. You might do a search to see if
> you can find the spectrum of white LEDs and see how that compares to
> incandescent lamps and fluorescent lighting.

Sf

Cost, Cost, very expensive.

"Mikey S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You might want to check out this page
> http://www.photoprojects.net/index8.html
> I recalled seeing it a while back, the author has been experimenting with
> LEDs in ringlights for macro work, he might have some information to share
> on the topic.
>
> --
>
> Mikey S.
> http://www.mike721.com
>
> "Phil Stripling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Lohkee" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >
> > > Does anyone have experience with, or thoughts about, the
> > > practicality/suitability of using high wattage white LEDs for studio
> > > lighting applications?

> > I've cooked chicken in the dark by LED -- it's not a pretty sight. I
> > suspect the spectrum is completely wrong for photography, although it

may
> > be possible to correct colors in software. You might do a search to see

if
> > you can find the spectrum of white LEDs and see how that compares to
> > incandescent lamps and fluorescent lighting.

Michael Schnell

The spectrum of the white LED consists mostly of yellow and blue light.
Nearly no red. So while this light looks whit (because the yellow photons
trigger the read and the green sensors in the human eye) the color of
objects is greatly distorted: red objects look very dark.

-Michael

Orrin Iseminger

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 23:33:56 GMT, "Lohkee" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Does anyone have experience with, or thoughts about, the
>practicality/suitability of using high wattage white LEDs for studio
>lighting applications?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Lohkee

I've not tried it, but it would seem as though the LEDs wouldn't be
very bright. I occasionally visit an LED forum frequented by
almost-rabid LED flashlight fans. They're realistic enough to realize
that LEDs don't work very well for general room lighting--not bright
enough.

I have a Nikon LED macro light, but haven't had to use it, yet.

Orrin

Lohkee

"Michael Schnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c2el7j$ff1$06$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> The spectrum of the white LED consists mostly of yellow and blue light.
> Nearly no red. So while this light looks whit (because the yellow photons
> trigger the read and the green sensors in the human eye) the color of
> objects is greatly distorted: red objects look very dark.
>
> -Michael

Do you think it would be possible to offset this effect by mixing/tuning the
LEDs, i.e. an RBG array?

Lohkee

Lohkee

"Orrin Iseminger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 23:33:56 GMT, "Lohkee" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone have experience with, or thoughts about, the
> >practicality/suitability of using high wattage white LEDs for studio
> >lighting applications?
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >
> >Lohkee

> I've not tried it, but it would seem as though the LEDs wouldn't be
> very bright. I occasionally visit an LED forum frequented by
> almost-rabid LED flashlight fans. They're realistic enough to realize
> that LEDs don't work very well for general room lighting--not bright
> enough.
>
> I have a Nikon LED macro light, but haven't had to use it, yet.
>
> Orrin

I would agree if we were talking about "normal" 5mm LEDs. There is a company
producing "LEDs on steroids" (Lumiled) called the Luxeon. Unlike normal LEDs
these puppys run at up to 1000mA. They have been used (5 LED array) to
produce automobile headlights in the new audi (so I am assuming they are
fairly bright). I would agree that LEDs are not (as yet anyway) suitable for
general room lighting, however, I guess my question is this: Is this really
important to the photographer who in my (admittedly very limited) experience
seems interested only in lighting a subject in front of the camera? It seems
to me that LED studio lighting would have numerous benefits to the
photographer; low power consumption, low lifetime maintainance, very small
and lightweight, AC/DC operation (portability), low heat generation (perhaps
not such a big plus for those working with the nude), etc. I can see where
they might not work so well with film cameras due to a lack of automatic
white balance, but digital equipment should overcome this? I would be very
interested to hear of your experince with your new ring light.

regards,

Lohkee

Nibbler

"Lohkee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:s%H2c.83654$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Orrin Iseminger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 23:33:56 GMT, "Lohkee" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Does anyone have experience with, or thoughts about, the
> > >practicality/suitability of using high wattage white LEDs for studio
> > >lighting applications?
> > >
> > >Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > >Lohkee

> > I've not tried it, but it would seem as though the LEDs wouldn't be
> > very bright. I occasionally visit an LED forum frequented by
> > almost-rabid LED flashlight fans. They're realistic enough to realize
> > that LEDs don't work very well for general room lighting--not bright
> > enough.
> >
> > I have a Nikon LED macro light, but haven't had to use it, yet.
> >
> > Orrin
> >

> I would agree if we were talking about "normal" 5mm LEDs. There is a

company
> producing "LEDs on steroids" (Lumiled) called the Luxeon. Unlike normal

LEDs
> these puppys run at up to 1000mA. They have been used (5 LED array) to
> produce automobile headlights in the new audi (so I am assuming they are
> fairly bright). I would agree that LEDs are not (as yet anyway) suitable

for
> general room lighting, however, I guess my question is this: Is this

really
> important to the photographer who in my (admittedly very limited)

experience
> seems interested only in lighting a subject in front of the camera? It

seems
> to me that LED studio lighting would have numerous benefits to the
> photographer; low power consumption, low lifetime maintainance, very small
> and lightweight, AC/DC operation (portability), low heat generation

(perhaps
> not such a big plus for those working with the nude), etc. I can see where
> they might not work so well with film cameras due to a lack of automatic
> white balance, but digital equipment should overcome this? I would be very
> interested to hear of your experince with your new ring light.
>

> regards,
>

> Lohkee

if you really want...
There are companys that makes LED arrays for street lights...
http://www.led.net/datasheets/traffi...ffic_index.htm
billboard illumination...
http://www.oksolar.com/billboards/
http://www.oksolar.com/stl/stl_parts_fixtures.htm

google LED "street lights" - lots to choose from...