Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Minolta Scan Dual IV

Minolta Scan Dual IV

whitewave

First of all, why is the new scanner from Minolta so cheap?
While does it cost half than Canon F4000US or Nikon LS-40, in spite it
has 3200 dpi and not 2900dpi?

I'm very interested in buying it, but I would like to understand if
it is a good scanner to complete my digital equipment. Now I have a
Nikon D100, but also a N90X and above all a Contax equipment wich I
use for BW films. My idea is to substitute darkroom with
scanner+Photoshop+Lambda.
Does it give so high quality scan image?
Has anyone made a comparison-test with Nikon LS-40 or 50 or Canon
F4000US?

Thanks a lot.
Marco Baldovin
www.whitewave.it

Martin Doppelbauer

Marco,
I have not made a comparison of the Minolta against any other scanner
but I strongly suggest you take a serious look at scanners that offer
an infrared channel for automatic dust removal (ICE).
AFAIK the Scan Dual IV does not offer this feature.
Most people with scanning experience (including myself) find the infrared
channel absolutely essential for high quality slide scanning.
There is no way you can remove all the dust in a high resolution scan
yourself.
Yes - you can remove the most visible dots manually.
But you can not clean all the smaller dots. There are usually dozens if not
hundreds of them - especially on older slides.
And you are thinking of a dedicated slide scanner because you want the
improved resolution against flatbed - right ?
My best advice is: forget about any slide-scanner which does not offer
this infrared cleaning channel.
Martin

> Does it give so high quality scan image?
> Has anyone made a comparison-test with Nikon LS-40 or 50 or Canon
> F4000US?

whitewave

Thanks a lot, Martin

>And you are thinking of a dedicated slide scanner because you want the
>improved resolution against flatbed - right ?

Yes, I don't need the scanner for pubblishing photos on the web (I
have a Epson 1670 photo for this), but I need to complete my equipment
with scanner to print my bw films.
I don't have a darkroom, but I'm a good photoshop user, so I would
like to take BW photos with my Contax equip and zeiss lenses, scan
them, work on them in Photoshop and then printing them in a lab.

>My best advice is: forget about any slide-scanner which does not offer
>this infrared cleaning channel.
>Martin

Ok, your suggestion will be very useful.

Regards.

Marco Baldovin
www.whitewave.it