Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > RCR-V3 (Rechargeable CR-V3) Li-ion vs NiMH AA

RCR-V3 (Rechargeable CR-V3) Li-ion vs NiMH AA

John Navas

Many digital cameras are designed to use either CR-V3 batteries or AA
batteries. (One CR-V3 is equivalent to 2 AA cells.) The usual recommendation
is to use rechargeable NiMH AA batteries rather than disposable CR-V3
batteries. A new alternative is the RCR-V3 (Rechargeable CR-V3) Lithium-Ion
battery.

Although they are significantly more expensive than NiMH AA batteries, RCR-V3
batteries will *outperform* 2300 mAH NiMH AA batteries in digital cameras, in
addition to advantages of lighter weight, lower self-discharge, faster flash
recovery, and better cold performance. See:
<http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/rcrv3.html>
<http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html#crv3>
<http://www.thomas-distributing.com/rcr-v3-index.htm>

--
Best regards,
John Navas

Ron G

I'm using the DigiPower set available at Amazon/J&R for about $35 in my
D-560. Amazing improvement over two NiMH's. However, I am a little
confused about the compatibility of different batteries with each other
and various chargers. Unfortunately, I learned about this after my
purchase. DigiPower is yet to offer a battery without charger and in an
e-mail to me they said they hoped to have one on the market late
April-early May. And, Thomas has not answered my question about whether
their standalones can be used in my charger. Interestingly, there is
absolutely no voltage information on the battery or charger and I've
noticed that the advertising for other batteries has little to say about
that issue. Clarification welcome! I hope we're not in a muddle of
incompatibility, but wouldn't be surprised if we are. Does it make a
difference that the batteries themselves contain the circuitry to
prevent over-charging, over-heating, etc?