Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Batch B&W neg scanning: mscan?

Batch B&W neg scanning: mscan?

Dominic Richens

Hi,

Around 1998 I had an HP PhotoSmart neg and slide scanner and on these
newsgroups everyone complained about the dumb-down software that HP supplied
with it. Some guy named "Matt" had written his own command-line utility
that among other things, allow one to scan (with that scanner and others) a
whole strip of film at time - so you could scan a whole roll of file in a
matter of minutes.

I googled back through these news groups and came up with the name "mscan",
the only URL I could find for this software is dead now.

Is this software available in another incarnation? I have an HP flatbed
scanner with a pretty decent neg/slide accessory and I wanted to scan some
of the 100-odd B&W roll I shot as a kid but only ever contact printed and
printed one or two shots per roll.

Is VueScan a good alternative? I installed the free version but I think I
have to $$ to get the batch version.

cheers!

--
Dominic Richens | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
"If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

Wilfred van der Vegte

Dominic Richens wrote:

> I googled back through these news groups and came up with the name "mscan",
> the only URL I could find for this software is dead now.

Have you tried the Web Archive, http://www.archive.org/? Chances are
that the dead link is archived there, and you can still download the
software.

--

Wilfred van der Vegte.
Replace 'invalid' by my first name to reply by e-mail

Bob Shomler

Dominic Richens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Around 1998 I had an HP PhotoSmart neg and slide scanner and on these
> newsgroups everyone complained about the dumb-down software that HP supplied
> with it. Some guy named "Matt" had written his own command-line utility
> that among other things, allow one to scan (with that scanner and others) a
> whole strip of film at time - so you could scan a whole roll of file in a
> matter of minutes.
>
> I googled back through these news groups and came up with the name "mscan",
> the only URL I could find for this software is dead now.
>
> Is this software available in another incarnation? I have an HP flatbed
> scanner with a pretty decent neg/slide accessory and I wanted to scan some
> of the 100-odd B&W roll I shot as a kid but only ever contact printed and
> printed one or two shots per roll.
>
> Is VueScan a good alternative? I installed the free version but I think I
> have to $$ to get the batch version.
>
> cheers!

Probably was Matthew Considine. His page is gone, but Lenik Terenin,
who wrote PScan32 <http://gaijin-life.info/lenik/psmart.htm>, has
reproduced Matt's materials and utilities (with his permission) at
<http://gaijin-life.info/lenik/hppsprog.htm>.

These were contemporaneous with early VueSmart (the original program
that became Vuescan) to overcome HP SW limitations and better exploit
the Photosmart HW; and they only support the original SCSI S10
Photosmart scanner.

Bob Shomler
www.shomler.com

Dominic Richens

<Bob Shomler> wrote:
> Probably was Matthew Considine. His page is gone, but Lenik Terenin,
> who wrote PScan32 <http://gaijin-life.info/lenik/psmart.htm>, has
> reproduced Matt's materials and utilities (with his permission) at
> <http://gaijin-life.info/lenik/hppsprog.htm>.
>
> These were contemporaneous with early VueSmart (the original program
> that became Vuescan) to overcome HP SW limitations and better exploit
> the Photosmart HW; and they only support the original SCSI S10
> Photosmart scanner.

Thanks,

Darn, my HP ScanJet 4470c is not supported by this or by Ed's VueScan!
--
Dominic Richens | (E-Mail Removed)
"If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"