Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > AMERICAN FOOD vs EUROPEAN FOOD

AMERICAN FOOD vs EUROPEAN FOOD

Simone Kerby

AMERICAN FOOD vs EUROPEAN FOOD

In general, which offers a more healthy diet?

Americans tend toward fast foods, either take-out
or home cooking that does not take too much time
to prepare.

In Europe, people still spend hours over a hot stove.
People still stop at the market on the way home from
work instead of weekly or monthly shopping as in
North America.

What are your favorite American dishes?

What are your favorite European dishes?

What are your thoughts on the difference in these 2
styles of cuisine?

Diabolik

"Simone Kerby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> AMERICAN FOOD vs EUROPEAN FOOD
>
> In general, which offers a more healthy diet?

MacDonalds.

> Americans tend toward fast foods, either take-out
> or home cooking that does not take too much time
> to prepare.
>
> In Europe, people still spend hours over a hot stove.
> People still stop at the market on the way home from
> work instead of weekly or monthly shopping as in
> North America.
>
> What are your favorite American dishes?

MacDonalds.

> What are your favorite European dishes?

None.

> What are your thoughts on the difference in these 2
> styles of cuisine?

MacDonalds rules!

Jupiter

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 06:06:40 -0500, "Simone Kerby"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>AMERICAN FOOD vs EUROPEAN FOOD
>
>In general, which offers a more healthy diet?
>
>Americans tend toward fast foods, either take-out
>or home cooking that does not take too much time
>to prepare.
>
>In Europe, people still spend hours over a hot stove.
>People still stop at the market on the way home from
>work instead of weekly or monthly shopping as in
>North America.
>
>What are your favorite American dishes?
>
>What are your favorite European dishes?
>
>What are your thoughts on the difference in these 2
>styles of cuisine?

What part of Europe are you talking about?

Transylvania? Carpo-Ruthenia? 19th Century Serbia?

Most of modern Europe has 'Supermarkets' and 'Hypermarkets', France
probably has some of the biggest in the world. Maybe what's left of
the traditional Balkan and Eastern European peasantry still have to
stop at the market every day or slaughter a pig or sheep and slave for
hours over a hot stove with pig's heads, beetroots, sheep brains etc.,
but most of the others nip off to the Hypermarket every week or so in
their automobiles and stock up just like you do!

Journalist-North

"Simone Kerby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> AMERICAN FOOD vs EUROPEAN FOOD

(snip)

> What are your favorite American dishes?

+++ Halle Berry

> What are your favorite European dishes?

+++ Mel B (from the Spice Girls)

> What are your thoughts on the difference in these 2
> styles of cuisine?

+++ Both are tasty but, the European "dish" is a bit more mature and may be
a bit more spicy. The difference, what there is, is mainly in the packaging.
Viva le Difference!

Texas Longhorns

"Simone Kerby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> AMERICAN FOOD vs EUROPEAN FOOD
>
> In general, which offers a more healthy diet?
>
> Americans tend toward fast foods, either take-out
> or home cooking that does not take too much time
> to prepare.
>
> In Europe, people still spend hours over a hot stove.
> People still stop at the market on the way home from
> work instead of weekly or monthly shopping as in
> North America.
>
> What are your favorite American dishes?
>
> What are your favorite European dishes?
>
> What are your thoughts on the difference in these 2
> styles of cuisine?

KERBYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYY
You are such a loser.

J. Helman

"Simone Kerby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<4046C770.6723.1DCF0FD@localhost>...
> AMERICAN FOOD vs EUROPEAN FOOD
>
> In general, which offers a more healthy diet?
>
> Americans tend toward fast foods, either take-out
> or home cooking that does not take too much time
> to prepare.
>
> In Europe, people still spend hours over a hot stove.
> People still stop at the market on the way home from
> work instead of weekly or monthly shopping as in
> North America.
>
> What are your favorite American dishes?
>
> What are your favorite European dishes?
>
> What are your thoughts on the difference in these 2
> styles of cuisine?

I think you are making sweeping generalizations. It's true that
Americans eat way too much fast food, many Americans don't really
cook, and our lifestyle isn't all that healthy. However, plenty of
Americans still purchase fresh ingredients (maybe not on a daily
basis, but more than once a week or month) and make good food at home.

Also, Europe has its own fast-food/convenience food traditions.
Americans didn't invent fish and chips or pizza, the British and the
Italians did. We may have put the hot dog in the bun and turned it
into fast food, but frankfurters come from Germany, and they're no
healthier over there than they are over here. And French fries may
not be French, but they are Belgian.

Ben Smith

So Diabolik does that mean you like Ronald McDonald?.

Regards,

Ben Smith

Dimitri

"Simone Kerby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> AMERICAN FOOD vs EUROPEAN FOOD
>
> In general, which offers a more healthy diet?

Neither, the use of available food is an individual
choice/obession/decision. You can become just as healther or unhealthy as
your taste and eating habits allow.

Dimitri

<snip>

Gregory Morrow

"Simone Kerby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<4046C770.6723.1DCF0FD@localhost>...
> AMERICAN FOOD vs EUROPEAN FOOD
>
> In general, which offers a more healthy diet?
>
> Americans tend toward fast foods, either take-out
> or home cooking that does not take too much time
> to prepare.
>
> In Europe, people still spend hours over a hot stove.
> People still stop at the market on the way home from
> work instead of weekly or monthly shopping as in
> North America.

Interesting...I've read that France is McDonald's single most
profitable market outside of the US. IIRC there is a French chain
that offers nothing but frozen food for sale...and it's very, very
popular.

Many people in Europe shop just like Americans - in bulk and at huge
supermarkets, which in Europe are called "hypermarkets" (the
hypermarket being a French invention). They drive their cars to the
Tescos or whatever that litter the outskirts of most European cities
of any size - it's the same from Newcastle to Krakow to Palermo to
Oslo. Growth of this kind of shopping has been especially rapid in
the former Eastern Bloc states....

Here in Chicago I shop just like an "old - fashioned" European - I
shop several times a week at smaller stores for my vittles. Don't
have a car, so I don't drive to Costco or wherever to shop, I walk or
take the bus. There are a lot of us like that here

US - style fast food has established healthy footholds all over
Europe, from Paris and Rome to provincial Russia and other former
Communist states. Some of these firms are US, some of them are home -
grown e.g. in Germany you can find "Schnell Imbiss" outlets
everywhere, and there is a chain in Russia that offers "home - style"
Russian food fast and cheap. They mostly use the same marketing ploys
and technologies as McDo's, etc. Pizza is a very popular fast food
both in the States and everywhere in Europe - is this a "US" or
"European" phenomenon...???

> What are your favorite American dishes?
>
> What are your favorite European dishes?
>
> What are your thoughts on the difference in these 2
> styles of cuisine?

There is increasingly a "world cuisine" that comprises stuff like Tex
- Mex, Asian (stir fry and sushi) hamburgers, Italian, fish and chips,
and many other things. In pretty much any city of any size all over
the world these "cuisines" are readily available. You can great sushi
in Vladivostok and pretty good Singapore noodles in St. Paul and
decent hamburgers in Kathmandu and tolerable pizza in Havana and and
fajitas and margaritas in Bangalore and Southern BBQ in London and
quiche in Beirut...etcetera, etcetera, etcetera....

And what about those "Irish" pubs that are ubiquitous absolutely
everywhere? Those are big world - wide chain operations, not the
result of some disgruntled Irish ex - pat wanting to open up a wee bit
'o the old sod at the airport in Osaka or in downtown Santiago....

I declare your questions as to preferences, then, as moot

--
Best
Greg

Ron Hunter

Dimitri wrote:

> "Simone Kerby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>AMERICAN FOOD vs EUROPEAN FOOD
>>
>>In general, which offers a more healthy diet?

> Neither, the use of available food is an individual
> choice/obession/decision. You can become just as healther or unhealthy as
> your taste and eating habits allow.
>
> Dimitri
>
> <snip>

Quite true. ON my visit to Europe, I saw quite as many obese, often
grossly obese, people as I see here in the US.