Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Choosing a mid range digital camera

Choosing a mid range digital camera

Simon

I am thinking of buying a Fuji S7000 or Canon G5, both of which retail
in the UK for around 425.00 .
I prefer the look of the S7000 (though I don't know why this is
important). Is there anything else at this sort of price that I should
be considering?
I want 5+ Megapixels, a decent lens and reasonable battery life. I
would be interested in some sort of rapid-fire mode and time lapse
would be a plus.
Any/All suggestions welcome.

regards
Simon

Jerry

Get the Canon S1
Hope this helps,

Jerry
"Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I am thinking of buying a Fuji S7000 or Canon G5, both of which retail
> in the UK for around 425.00 .
> I prefer the look of the S7000 (though I don't know why this is
> important). Is there anything else at this sort of price that I should
> be considering?
> I want 5+ Megapixels, a decent lens and reasonable battery life. I
> would be interested in some sort of rapid-fire mode and time lapse
> would be a plus.
> Any/All suggestions welcome.
>
> regards
> Simon

Martin Francis

"Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I am thinking of buying a Fuji S7000 or Canon G5, both of which retail
> in the UK for around 425.00 .
> I prefer the look of the S7000 (though I don't know why this is
> important). Is there anything else at this sort of price that I should
> be considering?
> I want 5+ Megapixels, a decent lens and reasonable battery life. I
> would be interested in some sort of rapid-fire mode and time lapse
> would be a plus.
> Any/All suggestions welcome.

Although I hate compact digitals, the G5 isn't a bad bit of kit (avg. street
price about 399 now) and certainly does the job well. The S7000 (and
previously the S602) have the same lens or similar, and from what I remember
both suffered barrel distortion at the wide end, pincushion at the long, and
CA too. This IMO does not a good lens make.

Might be worth hanging around a bit, though; test shots from a Nikon 8700
were very impressive, coming close to what i'd expect from a DSLR with a
standard zoom. If forthcoming 8mp cameras have similar sensors to the Nikon
(and not the Sony), they could be well worth the extra cash.

--
Here lies the late Martin Francis
He couldn't tell you the technical merits of Leitz and Zeiss

Patco

"Martin Francis" <(E-Mail Removed) m>
wrote in message news:c25ug9$8au$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

(snip)
> Might be worth hanging around a bit, though; test shots from a Nikon

8700
> were very impressive, coming close to what i'd expect from a DSLR with

> standard zoom. If forthcoming 8mp cameras have similar sensors to the

Nikon
> (and not the Sony), they could be well worth the extra cash.

At least 2 review sites seem to think the Nikon sensor is made by Sony:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...sp?dontcount=1
http://www.digitaldingus.com/pma2004...koncp8700.html

visitor2NOSPAM@terra.com.br

( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )

There's no perfect digicam, so you really must decide on which
features are most important to you and which limitations are less of a
problem. Start asking yourself: how big do I want the camera, how much
zoom, how many megpixels, how fast the lens ?

I don't think the S7000 and the G5 belong in a same league.

The G5 seems more comparable to the Olympus C-5050. They are similar
in size, weight, and lenses. The closest thing would be Canon's
previous G3, which is the one I'm inclined to get. There seems to be
no other choices in that form-factor and lens-type. Canon's new Pro1
(which is probably a much better camera) is thicker and heavier.

The S7000 is a bit taller, thicker, and heavier than the G5. It could
be more fairly related to this recent trend of "more megpixels-more
zoom", and as such it seems already being outshadowed by the
impressive new 8-megpixel releases by Canon, Nikon and Olympus. I'd
say the S7000 and its predecessor S602 were prototypes/pioneers of
such trend. They offer a very nice combination of features, which may
suit you if you find the image quality good enough.

Having said the above, both cameras have strengths and limitations, so
try to match your priorities:

-The S7000 seems to have a nicer grip and faster shooting times. It
has more zoom and more megpixels, plus a much better video mode if
that's something you care about. And it has a much better macro mode.
It uses rechargeable AA batteries (more flexibility, less autonomy),
and it accepts two kinds of memory cards (Compact Flash or Xd).

-The G5 has less zoom, less megpixels, slightly slower timings, less
macro, less video, but: it has a faster lens, meaning that some
pictures that might require a flash with the S7000 coud be taken in
natural light with the G5. To me, that's a key factor since I will be
taking lots of indoor pictures and I do not plan to carry an external
flash around. The G5 is also a bit more compact, in a way that it can
be carried around more easily in, say, a jacquet's pocket. Also,
Canon's swivel-LCD seems the only one of a kind. It uses a proprietary
battery that seems to have autonomy enough to let you forget about it,
but if it ever goes bad you will have to find the same one.

Overall, I think the Fuji has a nicer pack of features, but the final
image quality seems better with the Canon, especially under lower
light conditions. Have a look at some samples and make the comparison
by yourself.

If size and weight weren't an issue, I would wait and get one of the
new 8-mp mentioned above, like the Pro1. The double cost would be
worth it.
But to me, size/weight and fast lens are top priorities. I want to use
my camera as often as possible, and not think twice before deciding to
carry it along. The G3 that I want isn't exactly small and light, but
it's the smallest and lightest camera with such fast lens and is
nowadays a less expensive item to worry about carrying.

With the money I'd have to spend for a Pro1, and it's being less
portable, I'm afraid I'd often leave it home like I did with my nice
non-digital cameras in the past. Of course, unlike me, professional
photographers don't mind carrying around a luggage of cameras and
add-ons when they're at work, though I know many of them keep a
smaller camera for leisure time.
Hope this helps.

>I am thinking of buying a Fuji S7000 or Canon G5, both of which retail
>in the UK for around 425.00 .
>I prefer the look of the S7000 (though I don't know why this is
>important). Is there anything else at this sort of price that I should
>be considering?
>I want 5+ Megapixels, a decent lens and reasonable battery life. I
>would be interested in some sort of rapid-fire mode and time lapse
>would be a plus.
>Any/All suggestions welcome.
>
>regards
>Simon

Patco

In your analysis below, you mention most of the 8 MP makers (Canon,
Nikon and Olympus) but not Minolta, which released DiMAGE A2.
Is this an oversight, or do you think it doesn't merit being included?

GMT, "Patco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In your analysis below, you mention most of the 8 MP makers (Canon,
>Nikon and Olympus) but not Minolta, which released DiMAGE A2.
>Is this an oversight, or do you think it doesn't merit being included?

An oversight sure, as I was just giving quick examples of a category
that is different from that of Canon's G series. And I have nothing
for or against any of them. The DiMAGE A2 seems to fit in that same
category, as also the Sony F-828. Maybe there are others.
The point I was trying to make is that the S7000 is closer to that
league (though not quite up to it) that is the G5, in terms of
form-factor, more meg-pixels, more zoom, etc.

Patco

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )
>
> GMT, "Patco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In your analysis below, you mention most of the 8 MP makers (Canon,
> >Nikon and Olympus) but not Minolta, which released DiMAGE A2.
> >Is this an oversight, or do you think it doesn't merit being included?

> An oversight sure, as I was just giving quick examples of a category
> that is different from that of Canon's G series. And I have nothing
> for or against any of them. The DiMAGE A2 seems to fit in that same
> category, as also the Sony F-828. Maybe there are others.
> The point I was trying to make is that the S7000 is closer to that
> league (though not quite up to it) that is the G5, in terms of
> form-factor, more meg-pixels, more zoom, etc.

Good. I was starting to feel insecure as a Minolta A1 owner.
(They are not mentioned nearly as much as Nikon / Canon)
Actually, I don't think I would buy any camera that has 8MP crammed
on a 2/3 sensor. The signal to noise ratio has to be higher than 5MP.
Haven't seen any real reviews on 8MP cams, except for the Sony F828,
which has more noise & CA than most 5MP cams.
As for the original topic, my research led me to the A1 over the S7000
and the Coolpix 5700.
I like the manual zoom starting at 28, and the anti-shake.

Martin Francis

"Patco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KHw1c.9761211$(E-Mail Removed)...
> At least 2 review sites seem to think the Nikon sensor is made by Sony:
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...sp?dontcount=1
> http://www.digitaldingus.com/pma2004...koncp8700.html

I'm sure it is... but the sensor is quite clearly not the same sensor as the
one in the F828 (y'know, the one that has visible noise at any ISO above
64). Apart from the relative lack of noise in the shots i've seen at
mid-range ISOs from the Nikon, the Nikon doesn't have the "Emerald" filter
the Sony boasts.

--
Here lies the late Martin Francis
He couldn't tell you the technical merits of Leitz and Zeiss
But he did take some photographs once.

Cool Hand

It all comes down to what is the feature you want the most from a dc.

The reason I pick S7000.

1. Strong flash ( 27ft )
No need to carry slave flash or an external flash any more.
I need to take lots of indoor pictures w/o a tripod.

2. 640x480 Movie mode
No need to carry Digital Video Camcorder any more.

3. Takes AA NiMH
Have tons of them.

4. Take CF/xD/Microdrive
Bought Magicstor 2.2GB Microdrive (Type II Compact Flash) ( VD1022C )
Now I can either take 30min movie or 1000+ 6M pictures

5. Last 5/Continous shooting
Try to ask kids standing still.
Now I'll just keep shooting until I get it right.

6. Cheap
The total cost of Fuji S7000 + Magicstor 2.2GB Microdrive is
$549.00(minus $100.00 rebate) + $175.00 = $624.00
$9.99 for a MediaGear 8in4(no xD) card reader/writer for
the microdirve(from Fry's).

I used to carry
DC + DC SM cards(3) + DVC + DVC extra tape + Slave Flash + Lots of AA NiMH

Now I carry S7000(with Magicstor 2.2GB Microdrive inside DC) and
1 or 2 4xAA NiMH.

In conclusion, S7000 is perfect for me.

By the way,
S7000, Magistor 2.2GB microdrive and MediaGear 8in4 are all plug and play with
my WinME. Magistor 2.2GB is shown as 1.99GB in FAT16 under WinME.

On 3 Mar 2004 14:19:40 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Simon) wrote:

=>I am thinking of buying a Fuji S7000 or Canon G5, both of which retail
=>in the UK for around 425.00 .
=>I prefer the look of the S7000 (though I don't know why this is
=>important). Is there anything else at this sort of price that I should
=>be considering?
=>I want 5+ Megapixels, a decent lens and reasonable battery life. I
=>would be interested in some sort of rapid-fire mode and time lapse
=>would be a plus.
=>Any/All suggestions welcome.
=>
=>regards