Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Disposable cameras - how long do they last?

Disposable cameras - how long do they last?

twinkle

I have a couple disposable cameras that I took pictures with but never had
developed. They've been sitting on a shelve collecting dust for a couple
years. If I took these in could I still get the pictures developed? TIA

Drifter

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:51:46 -0800, "twinkle" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have a couple disposable cameras that I took pictures with but never had
>developed. They've been sitting on a shelve collecting dust for a couple
>years. If I took these in could I still get the pictures developed? TIA

As long as they haven't been sitting in a hot area (like the trunk of
a car) they'll probably be fine.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."

mutt

they should develop but the colours may have shifted somewhat. I once fourn
a roll of 110 film from when i was a kid had it processed had whacky pink
sky in some of them hehe
regards,
mutt
"twinkle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I have a couple disposable cameras that I took pictures with but never had
> developed. They've been sitting on a shelve collecting dust for a couple
> years. If I took these in could I still get the pictures developed? TIA

Ron Andrews

"twinkle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I have a couple disposable cameras that I took pictures with but never had
> developed. They've been sitting on a shelve collecting dust for a couple
> years. If I took these in could I still get the pictures developed? TIA

These cameras have expiration dates just like other rolls of film. If
you no longer have the packaging where the expiration date was printed, you
can guess that they will be good for about two years. They don't go bad all
at once--they just gradually build up fog, loose speed and loose contrast.
You will probably get decent pictures if you don't underexpose the film. I
wouldn't use them for a once-in-a-lifetime event though.
BTW, a Kodak rep once took me to task for calling these things
disposable cameras. His line was that if you throw them away, you wont get
any pictures back. They like to call them one-time-use cameras. He had the
whole spiel about how many parts are recycled. I suspect he has had some
pointed questions from environmentalists.

Ron Hunter

twinkle wrote:

> I have a couple disposable cameras that I took pictures with but never had
> developed. They've been sitting on a shelve collecting dust for a couple
> years. If I took these in could I still get the pictures developed? TIA

Sure. There may be some image degradation, but the pictures from these
cameras aren't too good at best, so you probably won't notice.

Mxsmanic

twinkle writes:

> I have a couple disposable cameras that I took pictures with but never had
> developed. They've been sitting on a shelve collecting dust for a couple
> years. If I took these in could I still get the pictures developed? TIA

Yes. You should still be able to get pretty decent results. Film
deteriorates very slowly over time, but modern minilabs can often
compensate for small color shifts and the other anomalies that occur as
film ages.

BartloSimpson@kurir.net

"twinkle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a couple disposable cameras that I took pictures with but never had
> developed. They've been sitting on a shelve collecting dust for a couple
> years. If I took these in could I still get the pictures developed? TIA

Yes, the pictures are still able to be developed. I must warn you however that the
people in the original photographs you took will not have aged along with the film.
They will look exactly like they did when you took the photos. HTH