Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Can standard DVD players read VCD disks

Can standard DVD players read VCD disks

Birk Binnard

I made a VCD slideshow to test how well I could prepare inexpensive disks
for friends & relatives. I have a CD/DVD burner so I know I can make real
DVD's, but recordable DVD disks are expensive and have much more capacity
than I would typically need. I thought VCD would be the answer since
recordable CD disks are really inexpensive.

I made a test VCD and it plays fine on my PC using a DVD player program.
BUT my regular DVD player (the one that is hooked up to my TV) won't
recognize the VCD disk. Is this a problem with my DVD player (it's a fairly
new GoVideo DVD/VCR combo)? Or do you really need a PC and software to play
a VCD?
---------------
Birk Binnard
Peninsula Software
http://www.birkbinnard.com

Craig Bailey

Try a different brand of disc, as your DVD player just might have an issue
in that regard. (It's not uncommon).
Try burning a disc with a few MP3's on it (if your DVD player supports
playback) to test if the media is compatible.
I use Nero for making VCD's for friends and I can assure you that they do
work in 98% of DVD players. Make sure you close the disc (no multisessions)
if this is a selectable option in your burning software, as VCD's need to be
a single closed session.

Craig

"Birk Binnard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I made a VCD slideshow to test how well I could prepare inexpensive disks
> for friends & relatives. I have a CD/DVD burner so I know I can make real
> DVD's, but recordable DVD disks are expensive and have much more capacity
> than I would typically need. I thought VCD would be the answer since
> recordable CD disks are really inexpensive.
>
> I made a test VCD and it plays fine on my PC using a DVD player program.
> BUT my regular DVD player (the one that is hooked up to my TV) won't
> recognize the VCD disk. Is this a problem with my DVD player (it's a

fairly
> new GoVideo DVD/VCR combo)? Or do you really need a PC and software to

play
> a VCD?
> ---------------
> Birk Binnard
> Peninsula Software
> http://www.birkbinnard.com

Maggot

"Craig Bailey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsWM0c.5985$(E-Mail Removed):

> Try a different brand of disc, as your DVD player just might have an
> issue in that regard. (It's not uncommon).
> Try burning a disc with a few MP3's on it (if your DVD player supports
> playback) to test if the media is compatible.
> I use Nero for making VCD's for friends and I can assure you that they
> do work in 98% of DVD players. Make sure you close the disc (no
> multisessions) if this is a selectable option in your burning software,
> as VCD's need to be a single closed session.
>
> Craig
>

> "Birk Binnard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> I made a VCD slideshow to test how well I could prepare inexpensive
>> disks for friends & relatives. I have a CD/DVD burner so I know I can
>> make real DVD's, but recordable DVD disks are expensive and have much
>> more capacity than I would typically need. I thought VCD would be the
>> answer since recordable CD disks are really inexpensive.
>>
>> I made a test VCD and it plays fine on my PC using a DVD player
>> program. BUT my regular DVD player (the one that is hooked up to my TV)
>> won't recognize the VCD disk. Is this a problem with my DVD player
>> (it's a

> fairly
>> new GoVideo DVD/VCR combo)? Or do you really need a PC and software to

> play
>> a VCD?
>> ---------------
>> Birk Binnard
>> Peninsula Software
>> http://www.birkbinnard.com

For some reason my DVD player (recent model Sony - <$100) likes the Sony
Music CDs best for both VCD and SVCD.

Another hint is to not burn them at the speed limit of your burner, I use a
2-4X setting.

Finally, although I use Nero for many things, I burn VCDs and SVCDs with
VCDEasy once the mpg file is mastered.

www.vcdeasy.org/

Another great site:
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

HTH

Mike

--
"All my friends can't be wrong!"
Remember, stupidity runs in herds.

Lucas Tam

Maggot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Another hint is to not burn them at the speed limit of your burner, I
> use a 2-4X setting.

This is only the case if you buy cheap discs that aren't rated for maximum
speed.

--
Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))

Marvin Margoshes

"Birk Binnard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I made a VCD slideshow to test how well I could prepare inexpensive disks
> for friends & relatives. I have a CD/DVD burner so I know I can make real
> DVD's, but recordable DVD disks are expensive and have much more capacity
> than I would typically need. I thought VCD would be the answer since
> recordable CD disks are really inexpensive.
>
> I made a test VCD and it plays fine on my PC using a DVD player program.
> BUT my regular DVD player (the one that is hooked up to my TV) won't
> recognize the VCD disk. Is this a problem with my DVD player (it's a

fairly
> new GoVideo DVD/VCR combo)? Or do you really need a PC and software to

play
> a VCD?
> ---------------
> Birk Binnard
> Peninsula Software
> http://www.birkbinnard.com

Go to
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.p...wall=0&order=0
to see which DVD players work with VCD disks, and other formats.

Maggot

Lucas Tam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Maggot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> Another hint is to not burn them at the speed limit of your burner, I
>> use a 2-4X setting.
>>

> This is only the case if you buy cheap discs that aren't rated for maximum
> speed.

Maybe in your experience but not in mine. I've tried the rated hi-speed disks
as well.

Mike

--
"All my friends can't be wrong!"
Remember, stupidity runs in herds.

Birk Binnard

Thanks....(I think.) I checked the website you provided and found out the
following abou tmy unit (GOVideo DVR4000):

I got vcd and svcd discs to play on this thing finally, but, like in earlier
posts, it HAS to be on a Princo blank cd. And it has to be burned at 2x. The
problem is that princo is not being sold in the USA due to a lawsuit with
Phillips, so you will have to dig on the internet to find canadian or
australian companies to buy from, but dont expect much. Your best bet is to
get them on Ebay. I get 50pk spndles there a lot for around 15 bucks.

Woe is me!

---------------
Birk Binnard
Peninsula Software

>>> Another hint is to not burn them at the speed limit of your burner,
>>> I use a 2-4X setting.
>>>

>> This is only the case if you buy cheap discs that aren't rated for
>> maximum speed.
>>

> Maybe in your experience but not in mine. I've tried the rated
> hi-speed disks as well.

But that depends what "hi-speed" discs are right?

The hi-speed disc you're buying maybe only rated for 8x, rather than 32x or
52x ; )

--
Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))

Michael Meissner

"Birk Binnard" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I made a VCD slideshow to test how well I could prepare inexpensive disks
> for friends & relatives. I have a CD/DVD burner so I know I can make real
> DVD's, but recordable DVD disks are expensive and have much more capacity
> than I would typically need. I thought VCD would be the answer since
> recordable CD disks are really inexpensive.
>
> I made a test VCD and it plays fine on my PC using a DVD player program.
> BUT my regular DVD player (the one that is hooked up to my TV) won't
> recognize the VCD disk. Is this a problem with my DVD player (it's a fairly
> new GoVideo DVD/VCR combo)? Or do you really need a PC and software to play
> a VCD?

Some DVD's cannot read VCD's. I have one DVD player (an old Sony) that can
read commercial VCD's (and CDs), but cannot read any disk created with a CD
burner. I think many of the newer DVD's have dropped the VCD format (but the
low end ones you get at Walmart still list VCD support).

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

John Navas

In <(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org> on 01 Mar 2004 23:48:14 -0500,
Michael Meissner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Some DVD's cannot read VCD's. I have one DVD player (an old Sony) that can
>read commercial VCD's (and CDs), but cannot read any disk created with a CD
>burner. I think many of the newer DVD's have dropped the VCD format (but the
>low end ones you get at Walmart still list VCD support).

My own observation is just the opposite -- I see more and more DVDs that
support VCD (and SVCD).

--
Best regards,
John Navas