Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Higher ISO = increased noise

Higher ISO = increased noise

Paul

I am learning (very very slowly) about digital cameras and how to use
them. I learned that if I increase the ISO, I will see more noise in
the pictures. I did tests and it's true.

Now, does that mean that I should ALWAYS set my ISO to the lowest
setting (100) for ALL my pictures to reduce noice? When is a higher
ISO good despite the increased noise in the pictures?

Lionel

Kibo informs me that http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Paul) stated that:

>I am learning (very very slowly) about digital cameras and how to use
>them. I learned that if I increase the ISO, I will see more noise in
>the pictures. I did tests and it's true.
>
>Now, does that mean that I should ALWAYS set my ISO to the lowest
>setting (100) for ALL my pictures to reduce noice? When is a higher
>ISO good despite the increased noise in the pictures?

When it isn't possible to get a correctly-exposed picture at a lower
ISO. For example, I often take photos at nightclubs, & usually have to
shoot at least ISO 800 (if I'm lucky!). If I were to try shooting at ISO
100, I wouldn't get any pictures at all.

David J Taylor

news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I am learning (very very slowly) about digital cameras and how to use
> them. I learned that if I increase the ISO, I will see more noise in
> the pictures. I did tests and it's true.
>
> Now, does that mean that I should ALWAYS set my ISO to the lowest
> setting (100) for ALL my pictures to reduce noice? When is a higher
> ISO good despite the increased noise in the pictures?

For example, if it reduces the exposure time and thereby reduces blur due
to camera shake.....

David

Don Stauffer

Have you ever pushed a film speed when shooting with film? Yes, you can
do it when you absolutely have to. However, it is best not to. You
should have a tripod handy, and use longer exposures when feasible. If
your camera has a limit on longest exposure, then is when you may need
to push. Or, when shooting action, desire to use auto exposure, and
long exposure will blur.

You do not get something for nothing, but sometimes motion blur can be
more objectionable than noise. Or, you HAVE to have good DOF, so must
select high f/#, but are at stops of shutter speed. Then you must
accept noise that comes with pushing.

However, don't push unless you really have to.

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota
(E-Mail Removed)

Mark Herring

On 1 Mar 2004 05:40:45 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Paul) wrote:

>I am learning (very very slowly) about digital cameras and how to use
>them. I learned that if I increase the ISO, I will see more noise in
>the pictures. I did tests and it's true.
>
>Now, does that mean that I should ALWAYS set my ISO to the lowest
>setting (100) for ALL my pictures to reduce noice?

No

> When is a higher
>ISO good despite the increased noise in the pictures?

With strong light, the signal is high and you can reduce the gain (and
noise) with a low ISO setting

**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Don

It's nearly impossible to equate the "ISO" of a digital camera to that of
film. They don't behave very much alike since there is no toe to the
response curve of digital like the H&D curve of film. In a digital camera,
the "ISO" is increased by increasing the gain in the electronics, either
before or during digitization of the signal from the CCD. It is more or
less equivalent to lopping off the one or two most-significant bits of the
digital output and adding the corresponding least-significant bits. You can
do the same thing in post processing, but it can *only* be done
satisfactorily if you save all of the bits in the data. This usually means
using the RAW mode in those cameras that have it, or 16-bit TIFF (I don't
know if any cameras do that).

Don

news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I am learning (very very slowly) about digital cameras and how to use
> them. I learned that if I increase the ISO, I will see more noise in
> the pictures. I did tests and it's true.
>
> Now, does that mean that I should ALWAYS set my ISO to the lowest
> setting (100) for ALL my pictures to reduce noice? When is a higher
> ISO good despite the increased noise in the pictures?

Ron Hunter

Paul wrote:

> I am learning (very very slowly) about digital cameras and how to use
> them. I learned that if I increase the ISO, I will see more noise in
> the pictures. I did tests and it's true.
>
> Now, does that mean that I should ALWAYS set my ISO to the lowest
> setting (100) for ALL my pictures to reduce noice? When is a higher
> ISO good despite the increased noise in the pictures?

It is often a question of being able to get a picture, with some noise,
or no picture. Your choice.

David Dyer-Bennet

(E-Mail Removed) (Paul) writes:

> I am learning (very very slowly) about digital cameras and how to use
> them. I learned that if I increase the ISO, I will see more noise in
> the pictures. I did tests and it's true.
>
> Now, does that mean that I should ALWAYS set my ISO to the lowest
> setting (100) for ALL my pictures to reduce noice? When is a higher
> ISO good despite the increased noise in the pictures?

When the reduced blurring caused by shooting at a higher shutter speed
as allowed by the higher ISO is more important than the noise you pick
up. Or, similarly, when the increased depth of field from the smaller
aperture etc.

It's always a tradeoff. One of the big benefits of digital is that
you don't have to finish the roll of film to change the ISO you're
using.
RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>

Paul

Thanks to those who posted serious answers, it is appreciated.

I will continue making tests to see how ISO works. I will try to take
pictures in low light at ISO 100 to see what it looks like.

(E-Mail Removed) (Paul) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) om>...
> I am learning (very very slowly) about digital cameras and how to use
> them. I learned that if I increase the ISO, I will see more noise in
> the pictures. I did tests and it's true.
>
> Now, does that mean that I should ALWAYS set my ISO to the lowest
> setting (100) for ALL my pictures to reduce noice? When is a higher
> ISO good despite the increased noise in the pictures?

Lucas Tam

(E-Mail Removed) (Paul) wrote in news:2bf2ec40.0403011338.332a51d6
@posting.google.com:

> I will continue making tests to see how ISO works. I will try to take
> pictures in low light at ISO 100 to see what it looks like.

Here's how it works:

Proper Exposure
Dark | Bright
Slow Shutter Fast Shutter
High ISO Low ISO

So what you're trying to do, is find the proper balance between shutter
speed and ISO to achieve proper exposure.

When you take a photo with low ISO in the dark, you'll end up with a
blurred picture (due to the slow shutter speed), or no picture at all
(because the shutter may not be slow enough!).

--
Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))