Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > God-dammit!!!!

God-dammit!!!!

Nibbler

"Ken Weitzel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> kenneth_lad wrote:
> > can anyone tell me if this memory card is supposed to work with the

Canon
> > a80?
> >
> > http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...de_x_ri_4/202-
> > 7650013-0974227
> >
> > i bought this card, placed it in the slot correctly, and tried closing
> > the protective lid on the camera. the lid would not close very easily

so,
> > rather than force the lid down, i took the card out and put my original
> > 32mb one back in.
> >
> > now, for some bizarre reason, the lid doesn't close as easily with this
> > but can close. BUT now the camera doesn't turn on with the memory card
> > inside!!
> >
> > i'm really ****ed off about this as i've only just bought the blinking
> > thing and i can't understand how the camera can all of a sudden not work
> > after changing memory cards (the camera now only switches on of a memory
> > card is not inside it - which defeats the point of it reall)
> >
> > why are electronic items so prone to developing faults within the first
> > few weeks? aaaaaargggggh.

> Hi...
>
> Is it possible you bent a pin over?
>
> Take a flashlight (that's a torch to you guys
> and a magnifying glass; take a close look.
>
> Take care.
>
> Ken

are you sure, you try flipping it it over?

kenneth_lad

[...]

Bert Hyman

In news:Xns949EBEC994FE2eznowrudeboy@195.129.110.67 "kenneth_lad" <noemail>
wrote:

> now, for some bizarre reason, the lid doesn't close as easily with this
> but can close. BUT now the camera doesn't turn on with the memory card
> inside!!
>
> i'm really ****ed off about this as i've only just bought the blinking
> thing and i can't understand how the camera can all of a sudden not work
> after changing memory cards (the camera now only switches on of a memory
> card is not inside it - which defeats the point of it reall)

Maybe a pin on the internal connector got bent when you inserted the new
card.

Now, when you insert your old card, the bent pin prevents it from going in
all the way, so the cover won't close easily, and the pin is touching
another pin (or something else) preventing the camera from operating.

When you take out the card, the bent bin moves enough that it's no longer
shorting anything out.

Just a guess ...

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Ken Weitzel

kenneth_lad wrote:
> can anyone tell me if this memory card is supposed to work with the Canon
> a80?
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...de_x_ri_4/202-
> 7650013-0974227
>
> i bought this card, placed it in the slot correctly, and tried closing
> the protective lid on the camera. the lid would not close very easily so,
> rather than force the lid down, i took the card out and put my original
> 32mb one back in.
>
> now, for some bizarre reason, the lid doesn't close as easily with this
> but can close. BUT now the camera doesn't turn on with the memory card
> inside!!
>
> i'm really ****ed off about this as i've only just bought the blinking
> thing and i can't understand how the camera can all of a sudden not work
> after changing memory cards (the camera now only switches on of a memory
> card is not inside it - which defeats the point of it reall)
>
> why are electronic items so prone to developing faults within the first
> few weeks? aaaaaargggggh.

Hi...

Is it possible you bent a pin over?

Take a flashlight (that's a torch to you guys
and a magnifying glass; take a close look.

Take care.

Ken

kenneth_lad

thanks for both of your replies.

the bent pin explanation may be correct but how could this happen when i'm
using a compatible card? obviously, the card was inserted correctly so i'm
not sure how this could happen...

i'm just concerned as, if it is a bent pin, they (Canon or Amazon) may not
allow me to change the camera for a new one as they'll probably think i
damaged it and therefore they are not liable.

Nibbler

"kenneth_lad" <noemail> wrote in message
news:Xns949EC463961D9eznowrudeboy@195.129.110.67.. .
> thanks for both of your replies.
>
> the bent pin explanation may be correct but how could this happen when i'm
> using a compatible card?

something wedged in pin hole in CF card before insertion... hasty, uneven
pull on removal of card... hasty, uneven insertion of card... forign object
in card slot with card... forign object stuck in card slot... card forced
upside down or backwards... etc...

obviously, the card was inserted correctly so i'm
> not sure how this could happen...

obviously

> i'm just concerned as, if it is a bent pin, they (Canon or Amazon) may not
> allow me to change the camera for a new one as they'll probably think i
> damaged it and therefore they are not liable.

depends. new under warrenty?

Frank ess

kenneth_lad wrote:
> thanks for both of your replies.
>
> the bent pin explanation may be correct but how could this happen
> when i'm using a compatible card? obviously, the card was inserted
> correctly so i'm not sure how this could happen...
>
> i'm just concerned as, if it is a bent pin, they (Canon or Amazon)
> may not allow me to change the camera for a new one as they'll
> probably think i damaged it and therefore they are not liable.

Did God answer you yet?

kenneth_lad

Bert Hyman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> In news:Xns949EBEC994FE2eznowrudeboy@195.129.110.67 "kenneth_lad"
> <noemail> wrote:
>
>> now, for some bizarre reason, the lid doesn't close as easily with
>> this but can close. BUT now the camera doesn't turn on with the
>> memory card inside!!
>>
>> i'm really ****ed off about this as i've only just bought the
>> blinking thing and i can't understand how the camera can all of a
>> sudden not work after changing memory cards (the camera now only
>> switches on of a memory card is not inside it - which defeats the
>> point of it reall)

> Maybe a pin on the internal connector got bent when you inserted the
> new card.
>
> Now, when you insert your old card, the bent pin prevents it from
> going in all the way, so the cover won't close easily, and the pin is
> touching another pin (or something else) preventing the camera from
> operating.
>
> When you take out the card, the bent bin moves enough that it's no
> longer shorting anything out.
>
> Just a guess ...

i've checked with a torch and it appears that one pin on the far left is
bent.

does anyone know where i stand with this (in terms of getting it replaced
or repaired via Amazon or Canon) as i'm 100% sure that the card was
inserted correctly, so i can't really see how this is my fault.

Eddy

"kenneth_lad" <noemail> wrote in message
news:Xns949EC463961D9eznowrudeboy@195.129.110.67.. .
> thanks for both of your replies.
>
> the bent pin explanation may be correct but how could this happen when i'm
> using a compatible card? obviously, the card was inserted correctly so i'm
> not sure how this could happen...
>
> i'm just concerned as, if it is a bent pin, they (Canon or Amazon) may not
> allow me to change the camera for a new one as they'll probably think i
> damaged it and therefore they are not liable.

Not if you told them it just stopped working!.

Eddy

kenneth_lad

"Nibbler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "kenneth_lad" <noemail> wrote in message
> news:Xns949EC463961D9eznowrudeboy@195.129.110.67.. .
>> thanks for both of your replies.
>>
>> the bent pin explanation may be correct but how could this happen
>> when i'm using a compatible card?

> something wedged in pin hole in CF card before insertion... hasty,
> uneven pull on removal of card... hasty, uneven insertion of card...
> forign object in card slot with card... forign object stuck in card
> slot... card forced upside down or backwards... etc...
>

> obviously, the card was inserted correctly so i'm
>> not sure how this could happen...

> obviously
>

>> i'm just concerned as, if it is a bent pin, they (Canon or Amazon)
>> may not allow me to change the camera for a new one as they'll
>> probably think i damaged it and therefore they are not liable.

> depends. new under warrenty?

yes, i've had it for a week.