Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New CCD concept

New CCD concept

Charles Douglas Wehner

Those interested in the future of image sensor design are invited to go to

http://www.wehner.org/electro/einstein/

Charles Douglas Wehner

Nibbler

> I am sorry Charles, but your web page has all the signs of
> a true crack put.
>
> 1. The inventions are based upon theories by Einstein.
> 2. There are at least 3 (in this case 7!) new fantastic solutions
> never seen before.
> 3. The inventor wants to put it all in the public domain for all
> to take advantage of.
> 4. The inventor has a hard time getting accepted and a story about
> that - in this case he has even been tortured.
>

> /Roland

Comming up next... proof that big brother is watching you through your TVs
and monitors... stay tuned. Don't touch that dial. We'll know.

Roland Karlsson

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Charles Douglas Wehner) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> Those interested in the future of image sensor design are invited to
> go to
>
> http://www.wehner.org/electro/einstein/
>
> Charles Douglas Wehner

I am sorry Charles, but your web page has all the signs of
a true crack put.

1. The inventions are based upon theories by Einstein.
2. There are at least 3 (in this case 7!) new fantastic solutions
never seen before.
3. The inventor wants to put it all in the public domain for all
to take advantage of.
4. The inventor has a hard time getting accepted and a story about
that - in this case he has even been tortured.

/Roland

Mark Herring

On 29 Feb 2004 09:13:14 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Charles
Douglas Wehner) wrote:

>Those interested in the future of image sensor design are invited to go to
>
>http://www.wehner.org/electro/einstein/
>
>Charles Douglas Wehner

This is the absolute worst kind of technical writing: endless
rambling with the point never being quite clear.

And the misuse of words: A sigmoid curve??? Look up sigmoid in you
Funk and Wagnalls and you'll see it has little to do with sensors.

My friends, what we have here is a nut case.
**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Charles Douglas Wehner

Roland Karlsson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Xns949EDA85AA8C1klotjohan@130.133.1.4>...

> I am sorry Charles, but your web page has all the signs of
> a true crack put.

I did not write this for YOU - you are obviously a SCHIZO-CERAMIC .

That is to say, a CRACKPOT.

Crack put, indeed!

I am a professional technical author and design engineer with over 40
years experience.

This is for TECHNICALLY QUALIFIED people.

Your opinions, and those of the other graffitti-"artists" of the
Internet, are totally UNPRODUCTIVE.

Charles Douglas Wehner

http://www.wehner.org/electro/einstein/

Mark Herring

Well, Charles;

I am technically qualified (35 years designing analog and digtal
cameras for space missions), and I will tell you that your article is
abysmal. You have some of the worst rambling I have ever seen---plus
some plain technical nonsense. I could never firgure out what your
point was, and got tired of reading.

I think it would be useful to put a precis at the beginning to tell us
what the point is----could you post a 50 word summary?

On 1 Mar 2004 04:09:06 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Charles
Douglas Wehner) wrote:

>Roland Karlsson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Xns949EDA85AA8C1klotjohan@130.133.1.4>...
>>
>> I am sorry Charles, but your web page has all the signs of
>> a true crack put.
>>

>I did not write this for YOU - you are obviously a SCHIZO-CERAMIC .
>
>That is to say, a CRACKPOT.
>
>Crack put, indeed!
>
>I am a professional technical author and design engineer with over 40
>years experience.
>
>This is for TECHNICALLY QUALIFIED people.
>
>Your opinions, and those of the other graffitti-"artists" of the
>Internet, are totally UNPRODUCTIVE.
>
>Charles Douglas Wehner
>
>http://www.wehner.org/electro/einstein/

**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Roland Karlsson

(E-Mail Removed) (Charles Douglas Wehner) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> I did not write this for YOU - you are obviously a SCHIZO-CERAMIC .
>
> That is to say, a CRACKPOT.
>
> Crack put, indeed!
>
> I am a professional technical author and design engineer with over 40
> years experience.
>
> This is for TECHNICALLY QUALIFIED people.
>
> Your opinions, and those of the other graffitti-"artists" of the
> Internet, are totally UNPRODUCTIVE.
>
> Charles Douglas Wehner
>
> http://www.wehner.org/electro/einstein/

Another typical crackot sign is use of CAPITAL letters
when wanting to STRESS things.

/Roland

Marvin Margoshes

"Charles Douglas Wehner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Those interested in the future of image sensor design are invited to go to
>
> http://www.wehner.org/electro/einstein/
>
> Charles Douglas Wehner

Many of these ideas have been around for a while. There is no discussion of
the problems of each method. What looks good on paper often won't work in
actuality.

There is a saying among engineers. "The devil is in the details."

Charles Douglas Wehner

"Marvin Margoshes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Many of these ideas have been around for a while.

Einstein's photoelectric effect has been around since 1905.
It was NEVER applied to an image sensor.

> There is no discussion of
> the problems of each method. What looks good on paper often won't work in
> actuality.

I have been in electronics for over 40 years. Nothing I ever conceived
failed to work. My particular field was photoelectrics. In your
forebodings, you reveal the inhibition that stops YOU being an
achiever.

"Each method" suggests that you simply do not understand the text.
There is only ONE method - the photoelectric method. However, it has
to be shown how black-and-white and colour image-sensors are made.
"Each option" is a way of altering the behaviour of the fundamental
design, for sequential colour, for simultaneous colour and so on.

Field-effect transistors DO work, not only on paper. Most of the
technology is combinations of FETs.

The problem of finding a low work-function was mentioned. However,
there are solutions out there - I suggested the caesium/rubidium on
oxidised silver known at the time of WW2. There are more modern
coatings. I pointed out that the quest is for a heatproof coating, if
the sensor is to be robust.

So I did cover the key problems.

The FOVEON Corporation in America was faced with vastly greater
problems and overcame them - simply because they did not invent the
photoelectric CCD. I did.

So Foveon simply slogged away making three layers, and using
ion-implantation forcing cerain minerals into the chip to alter its
colour-response. This was blue-sky research. Yet they succeeded in
making the SILICON TRIPACK.

My own design is a single layer, where the metal photocells (of a kind
I was dealing with forty years ago) cover the chip. Those metal
photocells can "see" different colours because of Einstein's
photoelectric effect.

I don't think the Nobel Prize Committee were wrong in giving Einstein
this prize.

> There is a saying among engineers. "The devil is in the details."

I have known very, very many engineers. The competent ones, like
myself, simply rolled up their sleeves and dealt with problems
one-by-one. NONE was superstitious. NONE believed in the devil.

Perhaps in your circles, such things as belief in the devil seem
wise.....

There is more than enough information on the page for a qualified,
experienced and competent engineer to make a photoelectric CCD.

Charles Douglas Wehner

Mark Herring

On 2 Mar 2004 04:18:07 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Charles
Douglas Wehner) wrote:

......snipped lots.........
>wise.....
>
>There is more than enough information on the page for a qualified,
>experienced and competent engineer to make a photoelectric CCD.
>
>Charles Douglas Wehner

Charles;

There's an awful lot of words here...... Can you provide the precis I
requested, including what the key point is of the "Photoelectric CCD".
To illustrate what I am asking, here is an example for the Foveon:

Foveon Sensor Concept--Summary:

In most consumer digital cameras, a conventional CCD--typically an
interline transfer--is used in conjunction with a filter array in
which a repeating pattern of color filters is laid down on the sensor.
In this architecture, luminance information is supplied by every
pixel, but specific color information is supplied by a subset. Thus
the color resolution is lower thatn the luminance resolution.

The Foveon architecture addresses this issue by dividing each pixel
into three color samples arranged vertically in the Silicon sensor.
The spectral tranmission properties of Silicon are used to provide the
color discrimination.